Sennheiser HD 6XX and Massdrop, doubts about the headphone and store delivery system.
Oct 13, 2017 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Renato Fury

500+ Head-Fier
A new drop of the Sennheiser HD 6XX started, but I do not know how this site works, it's generally just like any other virtual store but I've seen people saying that certain products can take months to deliver, but how many months? Do all products take months? As for HD 6XX, will it take you how long to get to the buyer's house?

As for the products themselves, I have realized that some of them are made from cheaper materials to be sold at a banana price, I know that the drivers of the HD 6XX are the same but the construction is also the same? I do not want to pay less for the parts to start releasing some time later, so anyone who has tested both the HD 650 and the 6XX and can make a comparison I would be very grateful.

Well that's it, I thank you in advance. :L3000:

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 20
The construction is of lesser quality than the 650, and is mass produced at low cost which is where you get the discount. Same sound though I've heard

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 20
Massdrop's model is to create bulk purchase agreements with manufacturers. With some of these manufacturers, Massdrop gathers the orders, places the order with the manufacturer, and then the manufacturer presumably orders the materials the build them, and then the items are built; so you are not simply buying inventory that is already sitting in a warehouse somewhere. This is why there can be a significant lead time between when you commit to the drop and finally receive the product. Because the inventory is pre-sold (i.e. sold in advance), there is much lower risk for the manufacturer so they don't overproduce and sit on a bunch of materials and inventory; this presumably allows them to pass on some savings to us consumers. The Massdrop editions of products are collaborations specific to Massdrop, but that doesn't necessarily mean materials are less quality (read the reviews on specific products though. I thought the Hifiman HE-350 sucked as did many others). Personally, I replaced my trusty old pair of HD650 with my HD6XX. For my intents and purposes, they were the same build quality, but my HD6XX was newer, so I kept then and sold my HD650. I think they are a bargain, although a decent amp is recommended to get the most out of them, and I am tempted to purchase a second pair.

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #8 of 20
Massdrop's model is to create bulk purchase agreements with manufacturers. With some of these manufacturers, Massdrop gathers the orders, places the order with the manufacturer, and then the manufacturer presumably orders the materials the build them, and then the items are built; so you are not simply buying inventory that is already sitting in a warehouse somewhere. This is why there can be a significant lead time between when you commit to the drop and finally receive the product. Because the inventory is pre-sold (i.e. sold in advance), there is much lower risk for the manufacturer so they don't overproduce and sit on a bunch of materials and inventory; this presumably allows them to pass on some savings to us consumers. The Massdrop editions of products are collaborations specific to Massdrop, but that doesn't necessarily mean materials are less quality (read the reviews on specific products though. I thought the Hifiman HE-350 sucked as did many others). Personally, I replaced my trusty old pair of HD650 with my HD6XX. For my intents and purposes, they were the same build quality, but my HD6XX was newer, so I kept then and sold my HD650. I think they are a bargain, although a decent amp is recommended to get the most out of them, and I am tempted to purchase a second pair.
I understand, this answers my questions, I particularly prefer the original version because it is infinitely more beautiful and to come with a cable of 3 meters and a 3.5mm adapter, but before the price these are characteristics that end up being irrelevant, but there is any deadline for 6XX deliveries ?

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #11 of 20
A new drop of the Sennheiser HD 6XX started, but I do not know how this site works, it's generally just like any other virtual store but I've seen people saying that certain products can take months to deliver, but how many months? Do all products take months? As for HD 6XX, will it take you how long to get to the buyer's house?
As for the products themselves, I have realized that some of them are made from cheaper materials to be sold at a banana price, I know that the drivers of the HD 6XX are the same but the construction is also the same? I do not want to pay less for the parts to start releasing some time later, so anyone who has tested both the HD 650 and the 6XX and can make a comparison I would be very grateful.
Well that's it, I thank you in advance. :L3000:

On Massdrop, at the bottom of their listings (like for the HD6XX), it's lists the date Massdrop is expecting to be able to ship out the product, which for the HD6XX is Dec 20th.
The listing for placing orders ends in 10 days (Oct 23), after which Massdrop collects the money and orders the HD6XX from Sennheiser.
Guess Sennheiser is expected to have the HD6XX headphones shipped to Massdrop just before Dec 20th.

Oct 13, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 20
On Massdrop, at the bottom of their listings (like for the HD6XX), it's lists the date Massdrop is expecting to be able to ship out the product, which for the HD6XX is Dec 20th.
The listing for placing orders ends in 10 days (Oct 23), after which Massdrop collects the money and orders the HD6XX from Sennheiser.
Guess Sennheiser is expected to have the HD6XX headphones shipped to Massdrop just before Dec 20th.
I already bought the HD 6XX, this will be my first HI-FI headphone, I do not have an amplifier or dac but it's a start, I just hope it's really all that people talk about.

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 20
I predict disappointment.

Oct 13, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #15 of 20
You are going to wait two months to get them...they are going to sound great at first...well, really good....but, didn't people say they need an amp? They will sound fine, probably by this point........ AND it begins again, you will start threads about amps and then you will order an amp and then you'll worry if the other amp is better and then you get it and THEN you'll be happy ....probably...I mean, you probably need a balanced cable, that's probably the thing that is missing ..... unless you stop to wonder what planars sound like.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back