Sennheiser HD 650 vs Meze 99 Classic
Nov 4, 2017 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nadezhda 6004

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody,
I am trying to make a decision about buying Sennheiser HD 650 or Meze 99 Classics. I like pop rock, blues and jazz. I am going to use them with Fiio X3-II, Shangling M2 and Zishan DSD. Preferably the question is for those who have tried both of them.

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Closed is better for me not to wake my wife up. So do you think Meze is better? How about punchy bass, deep stage and more details?
Right, closed back headphones isolate better (both in terms of letting less noise in, but also less noise out). I use closed back headphones at work and during the commute, while I prefer open back at home so I can still hear when my wife starts talking to me, the door bell rings, the cat complains, my phone rings, etc. Of course I get the occasional "what the hell are you listening to!?" this way :)

Closed back headphones tend to have more bass. I have not heard the HD650, so I can't comment on its bass. The Meze 99 Classics sound great, look great and will also allow you to run them balanced in the future, should you want to go down that route (because each side has its own cinnector).
I would have preferred them over the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, but liked the Focal Listen even better because of its imaging - I could hear much more precisely where a sound is coming from with them. I love that effect. But I'd recommend going through the Meze 99 Classic thread for more impressions.
Both have more bass than the M50x, slightly more than neutral, but still very tight and controlled, not boomy. The Focal is quite resolving, haven't heard the Meze long enough to compare. I can't compare it to the HD650 either, but if you want resolution, also consider the new HD660S, which is said to be a bit better yet in that regard. And some also prefer the HD600 to either.

Closed back headphones usually struggle with sound stage, I'd expect the HD650's to be bigger. Check out the HD660S impressions thread for more comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back