Sennheiser HD 650---Turn off external speakers?
Oct 20, 2005 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

PCX

New Head-Fier
Does anybody know how to turn off the speaker outside of Sennheiser HD 650? There is no point to use the headphone while people out knows what you listening....NOT good in a quiet places....

Or any add-ons that do the jobs?

Thanks

Oct 20, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 34
be careful... listening at volumes over 80 dB SPL WILL damage your hearing
eek.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 34
What are plugging the headphones in? If it's an headamp and not your receiver you can simply turn down the volume of the receiver. If you use your receiver for the HD650 I suggest finding the manual.
smily_headphones1.gif

(No offense, if I misunderstood you and am pointing out the obvious.)

Oct 20, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 34
That is just the sound coming from the back of the cones, there is no external speakers. The HD650 is a "open" design meaning that sound will leak from the exterior. If you need to change this you can see if having them woodied by headphile.com would help or sell/trade for a different headphone that is sealed.

Oct 20, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 34
I know what you mean, I remember one day when I was listening to my HD 590s at night and my mother came into my room to tell me she couldn't sleep because the music was too loud
tongue.gif

Especially high frequencies, such as in electronic music can be heard by occupants.

No, seriously, the HD 650 is an open headphone, try closed headphones for better isolation.

Oct 20, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 34
you could invest in some closed cups from headphile, if that's in your budget.

Oct 20, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 34
the hd650 are supposed to do that, they're 'open' phones. that's why they sound so good. it's not a speaker. if you need a quieter headphone, you need to find a different design as suggested (i.e., a closed headphone).

Oct 20, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 34
as others have said, when you look through the grills, the thing that looks like a speaker is actually the back of the very same driver that is playing in your ear. The reason you can hear it is the same that you can see it, there is nothing blocking the path for the sound to get out. The only way to change that is to cover up the grill somehow. The trick is that you can't really do that without dramatically altering the sound. Headphile sells wooden cups you place over the grills, and supposedly they sound good (I've never heard one personally) but they do change the character of the sound. Some people really seem to like the change, so it's considered around here as an upgrade--not really a fix for the "problem" of being an open can. The better solution is to sell your 650s and buy a headphone that is closed such as Beyerdynamics. If you look at Headroom's site (headphone.com) they specifically categorize 'phones into open, closed, etc types. Hope it helps. By the way, you should never listen to the 650s at such a volume that the music is clearly distinguishable from more than approx a foot or two away. Personally, I use my 650s at work in a cube-farm and have never had anyone even mention they could hear them.

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 34
I tried to find the external speaker switch on the HP-1, but when I flipped it I only switched the polarity. Rats!
4ps7.jpg

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #13 of 34
So I am the only one who thinks he/she might be talking about his/her speakers (you know those big boxes the other audiophiles use to listen to music) still playing when he/she plugs in his/her headphones?

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
So I am the only one who thinks he/she might be talking about his/her speakers (you know those big boxes the other audiophiles use to listen to music) still playing when he/she plugs in his/her headphones?

that's what I think.

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 34
If so he/she should just disconnect the speaker cables from the source/receiver ?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back