Sennheiser HD 650 to complement IE80? Comparison request
Feb 7, 2013 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

martyn73

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I own a pair of IE80 earphones with custom silicone sleeves which I am generally happy with. I have just purchased a Bravo Audio Ocean heaphone amp and wonder how the Sennheiser HD 650 headphones compare to the more portable IE80s.

I would be grateful for any comments about the difference in sound quality between the IE80 and HD 650. Is there a dramatic improvement in sound quality with regard to bass, mid range and treble? I previously owned a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs but sold them because of harsh treble / sibilance and then sold my V-Moda M-80 headphones to help pay for a pair of Momentum headphones. The Momentums were returned because of concerns about using them outside. Having read many reviews the HD 650s seem to offer the best sound quality (notwithstanding that they are indoor headphones).

Kind regards,

Martyn

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 3
I read somewhere that HD650 and IE80 share similar signature but I alread that HD650's mids are not recessed as far as I know but I'm not sure about IE80. HD650 is musical and forgiving which will suit any genre. 

Can you tell me how's IE80's signature when compared to V-Moda M80?

Is mids recessed?
Is treble harsh?

I have Brainwavz M2 and Thinksound TS02 IEMs and I'm looking for some more. If IE80 has HD650 signature then I will buy with my closed eyes

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 3
This is an old thread but I'm going to reply anyway, since this is a question I had about a week ago.
I've had the Hd650 for many years, just got a Sony xperia z phone and wanted some headphones for it while walking, was previously using the Soundmagic E10 (outstanding value for money). Had the IE80 for a week.

If you are condering phones for home use there is no contest, just get the HD650, there is much more clarity and sound stage than with the IE80, the HD650 has a much more ballanced sound, much more easy on the ear.

I'm amazed how much quality of sound comes out of the IE80 from such a small package, thumping bass. Very good headphone for when you are out and about. The different buds that come with the phones affect the ballance of the sound, there are plenty to play with.

I like both of the headphones but think that the HD650 are way better value, and offer a much better sound, however I wouldnt even consider using them when out walking.

I was surprised to hear how much more musical quality  and detail can be heard from the Xperia z with the HD650 over the IE80, after all it's a phone not a HIFI system, would have expected the phone to be the limiting factor. However that's not the case.

Hope these coments are of some help to someone.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back