Sennheiser HD 650 Static?
Mar 2, 2017 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

treyath

New Head-Fier
Well, it's been a while since I've had the time to sit down and have a good listen through my HD 650's. I decided tonight was the night! Unfortunately to my surprise I came across a sort of static noise (this is the best way I can describe the sound) coming from the set. My first guess was that it was the specific song I was listening to; it happened in the exact same location within the song. So hoping to try and eliminate some possibilities I switched over to my portable SHURE SE425. No static... My hunt continued, I decided to continue playing around listing to music and now it might just be myself becoming paranoid, but it sounds as if the headset is struggling when there is a lot of sound presence, like a lot going on in the song. Almost to the point of it being claustrophobic, this on top of this ever annoying static noise. This is when I began to get worried that the headset was damaged to some extent as I just went through a move. I decided to pull up a frequency sweep. 20hz - 20khz. Nothing... not distortion, no "static'.

I tried taking the headset apart to see if potentially while tearing my hear out a piece had come into contact with the driver, I've also tried changing the audio source to multiple difference sources and still the same result. 

I am unfortunately at a loss, and this is why I come to you, hoping that the vast head-fi community may be able to shine some light on something that I have over looked or for that final push to make my bank account cry and spring for a new set of cans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 6
  Well, it's been a while since I've had the time to sit down and have a good listen through my HD 650's. I decided tonight was the night! Unfortunately to my surprise I came across a sort of static noise (this is the best way I can describe the sound) coming from the set. My first guess was that it was the specific song I was listening to; it happened in the exact same location within the song. So hoping to try and eliminate some possibilities I switched over to my portable SHURE SE425. No static... My hunt continued, I decided to continue playing around listing to music and now it might just be myself becoming paranoid, but it sounds as if the headset is struggling when there is a lot of sound presence, like a lot going on in the song. Almost to the point of it being claustrophobic, this on top of this ever annoying static noise. This is when I began to get worried that the headset was damaged to some extent as I just went through a move. I decided to pull up a frequency sweep. 20hz - 20khz. Nothing... not distortion, no "static'.

I tried taking the headset apart to see if potentially while tearing my hear out a piece had come into contact with the driver, I've also tried changing the audio source to multiple difference sources and still the same result. 

I am unfortunately at a loss, and this is why I come to you, hoping that the vast head-fi community may be able to shine some light on something that I have over looked or for that final push to make my bank account cry and spring for a new set of cans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just to be crystal clear, (1) you are hearing the static on your 650s on multiple different songs (?). 2) Do you have a second source and amp and/or dac you can plug your 650s into to see if the static is still there on the second system?

Mar 3, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 6

The static noise is present on multiple songs. My first thought was that it was a poor recording. I've tried just my DAC on its own, just the Amp on its own, I've tried directly plugging into the computer, as well as plugging into my phone. Each test I tried with the 650's I then tried with the SE425 and the Shure's sounded fine. But my  650's would have that sort of static crackle. The strangest thing is that the crackle changes in volume with the music almost as if its in the song itself. 

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 6
It happens on all hd650s a certain songs on some S notes and stuff like that well that happens to my hd650 and i thought they were damaged changed to a different sounding amp and it's less noticeable but still there lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back