Sennheiser HD 650 Pads
Apr 7, 2004 at 10:53 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Nigel
Your not impressed then Mike?

£42 is expensive, the Philips HP890 were only about £50 if I remember correctly.

£42 is a months wages to some people Nigel. Do you have a fat head or do your ears sweat a lot?? the reason I ask.... I had a pair of HD535's for 8 years and the pads were ok..... is it that they don't make them so well now? they seem to have worn very fast.

Mike.

Apr 7, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #17 of 31
Pink Floyd wrote

. Do you have a fat head or do your ears sweat a lot?? >>

Don't be so rude Mr Pink.

Calling me a big head & casting aspersions about my personal hygiene.

At the end of the day, I thought I needed a pair of replacement felt pads. I thought wrong.

Actually, taking Claude's advice, I washed the old ones. I should have done this in the first place because they seem to have regained some of their firmness.
Only joking about the first bit Mike.

Best wishes,

Nigel

Apr 8, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Nigel
Pink Floyd wrote

. Do you have a fat head or do your ears sweat a lot?? >>

Don't be so rude Mr Pink.

Calling me a big head & casting aspersions about my personal hygiene.

At the end of the day, I thought I needed a pair of replacement felt pads. I thought wrong.

Actually, taking Claude's advice, I washed the old ones. I should have done this in the first place because they seem to have regained some of their firmness.
Only joking about the first bit Mike.

Best wishes,

Nigel

Nigel, as you know I'm joking about the fat head and sweat
wink.gif
I was just wondering if they're not making them so well these days?

As to sweat, my head drips like a tap sometimes and the foam in my pads is probably impregnated with salt.... it was just a thought, the HD535 pads were waterproof whereas the velour pads of the HD600's will absorb a lot of salt and probably break the foam down?

Maybe it "is" a good idea to rinse them out once and a while and air them off outdoors..... this may "plump" the foam up a bit too.

Is the headband cushioning replaceable? I can see that being a right old perspiration sucker and it could rot through time
eek.gif
Come to think of it, I should also have asked if you are bald on top? I am and I think this is a disadvantage for HD600 owners who tend to sweat a lot as there is no hair there to act as a barrier between the scalp and the headband cushion.

I have recently taken to wearing a baseball cap when listening to the HD600's..... I tried an old rubber swimming cap but A: I looked like a pratt and B: it increased the temperature of my head by 100%....... do Sennheiser make waterproof pads and headband cushions for people with bald salty heads I wonder?

I may try a "scotchguard" tweak........ you know the stuff you spray on shoes and furniture? That would make the pads impervious to water ingress though it could cause irritation to the skin....... will give it a go.

In the meantime........ does anyone else suffer from hot heads?

All the best.

Pinkie.

Could always cut out some holes for the ears on one of these:

gardenfloral-swim-cap.jpg

Nov 2, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #20 of 31
when you buy replacement HD600 pads what exactly do you get.. i assume you get the foamy stuff as ppl have talked about it not being squashed anymore.. i'm also assuming that you get a replacement cover more importantly..

Its just i have had mine for 4 years now perhaps and still dont really need replacement pads.. bit warn, bit squashed but comfy... that was till tonight anyways.. whilst taking my headphones off, my glasses got caught and as i pulled they pulled on the cans.. on inspection its ripped the cover between the felt part and the inner more rubbery part.. so it looks like i'm going to have to get stung on a replacement foamy pad...

thing is if EVERYTHING is replaced then i'll happily leave it a bit longer as if the sponge gets a bit manky i know its going to be replaced.. however if the sponge is irreplacable and forms the basis for all future senny wearing then i'll change it soon as to keep it ok ..

Sorry as i write it is sounds dumb.. but i've never managed to get the covers off easily, for fear of ripping etc, so i'm not sure how it all works..

Cheers

jim

Nov 2, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #21 of 31
I'm searching for some simil-leather or leather pads for hd650...the foam pads gives some hot feeling i dislike a lot..
I contacted sennheiser to know if there's any official leather pad replacement for hd650

Any advice on what to do / where to order some would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 3, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #24 of 31
CLEAN your pads people, after a good washing the pads will be just as clean as a new pair, and almost as fluffy!
Seriously, one pair of pads will last several years with a wash every several months (frequency depending on how icky you are).

Nov 3, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

CLEAN your pads people, after a good washing the pads will be just as clean as a new pair, and almost as fluffy!

Thanks kyrie, trust me i believe you.. as i said mine have lasted 4 years, minimal cleaning, no washing.. and they were fine.. the fabric had actually gotten warn in places.. fairly heavy use.. my problem tho is that its now ripped.

Could you or anyone else answer the question as to whether the sponge inside the ear pad is something that gets replaced.. if so as i said i'm prepared to wait a little longer as they still work fine.. if not tho i dont want to damage that any more than i have to..

Please can someone help me on this?

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #30 of 31
Hi!

Is there a danger buying long stocked pads? OR store spares of them for long at home?
I mean, they could be several years in storage, then I buy them and I'm afraid they would become squished quickly, much quicker than new ones.
Or, if i buy spares, let them rest a few years in drawer, just to have them when the day for change comes, do not want to be surprised they are looking new, but the inside foam has deteriorated already without ever using them.

I bought spare HD580 - admittedly NOS - headband with headband pad installed, they were nice, but when 2 years later, I needed to use the pad, it crumbled under the slightest pressure of my fingers.
I do not know how old they were, but when I bought them, the packaging was unopened and it was from official retailer, he said this package was of the latest in CE.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back