Sennheiser HD 650 - Music Issue
Jan 30, 2015 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Cerebrius

New Head-Fier
I must apologize first if this is the wrong forum but I'm at a loss.

I've had these headphones for over a month and no issues.  And the issue that just occurred is probably not related to the headphone per say.  

I decided to load up some Lionel Richie because I am in a R&B mood.  Anyway, I have not gotten to his music yet and so I start with Endless Love and I'm like what is this crap. The instruments sound fine but the vocals sound like they are in an empty music hall. It's quite surreal actually. And I only have 3 other songs by him and they all sound the same.  His vocals are in the empty hall and the instruments and backing vocals sound pitch perfect.  

My playback method is MacBook Pro (2010) - iTunes - Fulla Schiit (Amp & Dac combo) - Sennheiser HD 650. 

Can anyone enlighten me on what is happening?

Also, for kicks I played the youtube version and that was even crappier. But using my Logitech G930's sounds great ok (meaning not crap). 

Thanks in advance for your insight.

C

Edit: I just listened to Earth, Wind and Fire and same deal. It has to be something recording wise or it's iTunes. 

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 4

Ok so I am continuing to troubleshoot this and I think it's either the Fulla Schiit or iTunes. But because it is not just iTunes that is doing this I'm narrowing it down to the Schiit.  Oh I got Lionel Richie to sound right but had to unplug and replug it back in.

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Are you able to plug your headphones into another source/amp/dac combo to compare what your are hearing?

I was very unhappy with my 650's until I found the right amp.  Now, 95% of my music sounds really good.

Mike

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 4
Curious... what is your reference point by which you are comparing?  Theres a strong possibility thats just how it was mastered or (ghastly) re-mastered "for digital" from the analog original sessions in ~1980.

your headphone is merely now exposing this detail in the mastering... while your other setup was possibly masking / hiding it from you.

I have it YT-streaming now as I type, playing through my HD650 and Larocco PPA.  I haven't heard this tune in like a quarter century at least.  This "HD" upload on YT is fairly compressed and seems dynamically flat and missing dynamic range.  Not sure if its the re-mastering, something in YT... or if the original Vinyl release sounds the same.  There is really no sense of whisper quiets, backing tracks are all over the two vocalists and way too hot to effectively establish much of a spatial soundstage.  Its a "wall of sound", so when you listen to it theres nothing in it that your ears and brain have to dig deep to hear off in the distance.

A lot of early 80's recordings... er masterings were done this way, unfortunately.  Generally I think people prefer highly compressed masterings... they like that wall of sound in your face kind of thing.  I am talking about the general population mind you... not enthusiasts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back