Sennheiser HD 650 + iFi iCan Amp + Macbook Pro = buzz/static noise?
Oct 1, 2016 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

isaach127

New Head-Fier
Hello!

Honored to be joining this forum! I'm just a newbie who loves classical music and am trying to figure out the best set-up to enjoy it. As indicated in the title, my current set-up is: Sennheiser HD 650 + iFi iCan Amp + Macbook Pro (MP3s).

When I listen to music that has loud sections via that set-up, I get this buzzing/static noise in the headphones during loud sections. I don't have the same problem when I listen to the same music via my studio monitors (Sterlings). I also don't get it when I listen via my in-ear Panasonic earbuds.

I realize this is probably a very basic question, but does anyone know how to get rid of the buzz/static noise?

Thanks a million!

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 4
Hello and welcome to the society! :)

I'm probably not the best person to talk to regarding this problem, as I don't have any experience with either HD650, or iFi iCAN, but:

• Do you get the noise when driving HD650 directly from the Mac (without iCAN)?
  • Are your monitors driven by the same iCAN?
  • Are your earbuds driven by the same iCAN? What is the model of the earbuds? What is their sensitivity and impedance?
  • Do you have any access to other full-size headphones that you could try?
  • Do you have any access to other amp you could try with your HD650?
  • Do you have any access to other source you could try with both your HD 650 and iCAN?

Those are usually the questions technical support may give you in order for you to evaluate what is causing the problem - the source, the amp, or the cans.

If you answer those questions it could hopefully help other people help you :)

All the best!

Oct 1, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 4

Problem solved. I think the problem was in the particular MP3s I was listening to. But another problem came up:

When I turn the volume all the way down on the amp, I get this high-pitched buzz sound. I also (oddly enough) seem to pick up other people's music--that is, when the volume on the amp is all the way down, I can faintly hear music playing, but it's not my music.

As you can probably tell, I just got my amp yesterday and am still trying to figure this thing out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 4

Problem solved. I think the problem was in the particular MP3s I was listening to. But another problem came up:

When I turn the volume all the way down on the amp, I get this high-pitched buzz sound. I also (oddly enough) seem to pick up other people's music--that is, when the volume on the amp is all the way down, I can faintly hear music playing, but it's not my music.

As you can probably tell, I just got my amp yesterday and am still trying to figure this thing out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

As for your amp, is it the nano or the micro version? Maybe you can try lowering the gain to see if it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back