Sennheiser HD 650 : First Impressions
Mar 20, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #17 of 31
Hahaha, for the record she's my EX-gf. :p EX EX EX EX EX!

Also, as for the Pico, since I want the DAC/AMP version for my TF's I think I'll still hold out for the moment, get the Juli@ as a starter (Upgraditis will get me eventually) and then get the GS Solo and THEN finally worry about the Pico DAC/Amp.
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't have it all at once, as I'm unfortunately not made of money over here.
biggrin.gif

Finally, I don't think it'd be fair to really compare the TFs to the HD 650s would it? They're ENTIRELY different phones, not to mention TYPES of phones. I COULD use the 3.5/6.5 jack they supply (Or 6.3, I forget the dimension) and plug it into the same amp and play a few records that I'm familiar with, but I think it'd belike comparing apples to oranges, both of them are great.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by lamikeith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, not cool posting an exclusive price. When deals come your way that only a few can enjoy, enjoy in silence.

That said, enjoy your HD650s. I am enjoying mine.

Agreed - not cool at all - especially as a staff price should normally be for the employee only and not sold on to you.
frown.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed - not cool at all - especially as a staff price should normally be for the employee only and not sold on to you.
frown.gif

Any retail company are doing so and I found it pretty normal... I appreciate this information as for once, it gives us a good idea on the mark-up a headphone company is using. Sure it's only one model, and on the market for a while... I would really like to know the one used by grado ! I guess it would be way higher !

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

Look, the only reason I posted it is because I see people posting about their deals in other threads. I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. I got a good deal from my ex-gf's mum who is a friend of the family. She's not like, drug-muling them out to everyone. Especially if I can't afford them at MSRP.

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #21 of 31
with that said I wonder how much the HD800's cost Sennheiser employees if it's roughly 3 times less than MSRP .... $500?!

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostChild1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look, the only reason I posted it is because I see people posting about their deals in other threads. I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. I got a good deal from my ex-gf's mum who is a friend of the family. She's not like, drug-muling them out to everyone. Especially if I can't afford them at MSRP.

Ignore these people whining about you getting a deal rather than being happy for you. I actually found the employee pricing rather valuable as now I know how much markup there is on this model.

That being said, I think the HD650s are worth the $300-350USD asking price, so at $205...that's ridiculous value for your money. Enjoy those phones, I haven't heard anything better (for overall sound).

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ignore these people whining about you getting a deal rather than being happy for you. I actually found the employee pricing rather valuable as now I know how much markup there is on this model.

Don't forget that's a double mark-up as Sennheiser need to make a profit and the dealer also needs to make a profit.

Actually, one loudspeaker manufacturer once told me that the retail price was four times the manufacturing cost of a product.

Mar 20, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

If the policy truly is that it is for the employee only and not for family and certainly not their friends or super ex boyfriends, you stole fair market value-employee price from Sennheiser. No amount of qualifying, specious reasoning, or excuses will explain that away. It really depends on one's principles. The question you have to ask yourself is, how much is your integrity worth? Hopefully it is worth more than a mere 120-140 worth of fiat paper money. This of course is all contingent upon the aforementioned policy truly being the policy or not. In my eyes, really the only difference between you and someone who pulls $120 from one of Sennheiser's cash registers is the means, both means being equally detestable(again under the previous qualification).

I used to work at a retailer and would have friends ask me for the discount when it was only for myself and family, they got quite a scolding. Later the policy was changed to employee only, can you guess why?

Mar 20, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #25 of 31
^^^ i think your right and the mark up exists in all retailing or else people wouldn't be in business. As much as people dont want to hear it i dont think there is anyway that the HD-800 cost close to a $1000 to make per headphone.

But how much something costs to make is completely different to how much it is worth, so good on the op for getting such a good price..but that does not take away from how much the headphones are worth

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the policy truly is that it is for the employee only and not for family and certainly not their friends or super ex boyfriends, you stole fair market value-employee price from Sennheiser. No amount of qualifying, specious reasoning, or excuses will explain that away. It really depends on one's principles. The question you have to ask yourself is, how much is your integrity worth? Hopefully it is worth more than a mere 120-140 worth of fiat paper money. This of course is all contingent upon the aforementioned policy truly being the policy or not. In my eyes, really the only difference between you and someone who pulls $120 from one of Sennheiser's cash registers is the means, both means being equally detestable(again under the previous qualification).

I used to work at a retailer and would have friends ask me for the discount when it was only for myself and family, they got quite a scolding. Later the policy was changed to employee only, can you guess why?

Well then I'm a thief. Short and simple.

I think of this the way I think of piracy. Sure you might download an album here or there, but that helps to introduce you to new artists, who then you go to their live gig, buy a shirt and an LP off of them directly with your hard earned dollars. Sure, you stole initially, but the return is far more than worth it for all parties.

So yeah, I 'undermined' the employee pricing. But I'm so happy with these phones, even at such an early stage, that it will undoubtedly spell repeat business for Sennheiser. And when that time comes, maybe I won't be a college student trying to scrap for every dollar he can to enjoy the best life has to offer, and then I won't need to go this route.

So say what you will of me, but I think we're missing the overall point of this thread: I love these headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

All that being said, I would hope that any further conversation on the matter of how the headphones were obtained to be contained to PM conversations.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thank you

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #27 of 31
OP enjoy your headphones! nvm about the negative comments, that was quite a deal. i paid 150ish for my HD595s mint used, so that leaves me very jealous :p anywho enjoy the sennheiser sound
dt880smile.png

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Sure, you stole initially, but the return is far more than worth it for all parties.

Now that is some fine rationalization. Are you by chance going to law school?

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that is some fine rationalization. Are you by chance going to law school?

It´s a bit scary but some seem to believe it´s true. Before piracy there was a lot more artists that could live on their music. Shown in statistics. You may download 100 cds and go to two concerts... It doesn´t help the other 98 artists you didn´t go to concerts for. And if you didn´t have the option to download it you may have bought more instead. I think many looses the intent to get a record they already have on their harddrive. Put that on more headphones probably instead
tongue.gif

This is quite similar to gaming. The one who benefits from all millions pirating Crysis or whatever is the hardware manufacturers. Since it´s harder to pirate a 8800 GTX or whatever people buy that one and saves on games...

Now of course at least for gaming the sharing in the school yards of early games definiatly helped to spread it since it´s a younger branch then movies, music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back