Sennheiser HD 650 : First Impressions
Mar 19, 2009 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

LostChild1

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, a little bit of backstory to start us off:

I'm an 18 year old college student from Montreal, Canada. I was the kind of kid who hated music when I was very young. I would tell my parents to turn off the radio in the car, because I hated the noise. Then a few years later, when I smartened up, I was the kid who would compress his MP3s to unbelievable sizes in order to fit as many songs into 512MB as possible.

Now, over the years I don't know how I've developed but I'm now the kid who has 12,000 songs (Modest size in our terms, but to layman's, it's huge!) in FLAC / MP3 V0 quality organized to a tee on my PC. Needless to say, I care about sound and music now.

Currently my "expensive" rig was my iPod Classic 160GB -> Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi. $350 was a ton of money to spend on headphones to me. But as I've gotten more involved here, and reading what everyone has to say, spending $800 on an amp doesn't seem that far-fetched. Let alone $600 for a pair of headphones. Except, I didn't pay that, no sir. I hit GOLD on these Senn's. My ex-girlfriend's mom recently started a job at Sennheiser, at which she gets any Sennheiser product at the manufacturing cost + 10% off.

Now, I've seen used HD650s sell on here for 350USD, I've seen new ones on eBay for 400USD. But she was able to get them for me, brand new, for 205USD. And I'm a smart man, and know when to not pass up an opportunity! So I bought them today.
biggrin.gif

All that being said, I don't have a dedicated headphone amp, but my family has a Marantz SR-3001 receiver / amp which will have to make due for now. Connected to said amp is my Technics SL1200-MKII with (currently) a Shure M92E cartridge (Just bought a M97xE off jpstereo the other day
biggrin.gif
).

In short, not very hi-fi stuff right now. However, regardless of all that, I must say: WOW. If this is what they sound like with NO burn in, without a dedicated amp, with a mediocre cartridge and everything, then I can't WAIT for it to only get better!
biggrin.gif

The soundstage blew me away. The response blew me away. I've listened to records like Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not over 100 times and I heard things that I've never heard before, I heard clear details that I never knew existed before. And just had an experience like I've never had before in my life!
biggrin.gif

This isn't my final setup, as I'm moving my TT next to my PC and hopefully having something like this:

PC -> ESI Juli@ -> GS Solo w/ PSU1 -> HD 650
&
Technics SL1200-MKII -> TC750-LC Preamp -> GS Solo w/ PSU1 -> HD 650

And once I have all that, I think I'll be content for a little while. But I just cannot WAIT! I don't have the money for it right now, but I just want to take out a loan and buy the GS Solo right now
biggrin.gif

In short, I'm so glad that I've discovered what music is meant to be, and I can't wait for it to get even better.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've officially joined the dark side.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 31
I agree, the HD650 sounds better with more oomph from a headphone amp. GS-Solo, nice. I'd also look at a better source for your Flac/Mp3 files. For me, the DAC in my Compass made more difference than the Amp.

Keep in mind the GS-Solo, if you plan to use the iPod, will only amplify the crap that comes out of the iPod. I recommend a computer setup with a good external DAC.

Good luck.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, the HD650 sounds better with more oomph from a headphone amp. GS-Solo, nice. I'd also look at a better source for your Flac/Mp3 files. For me, the DAC in my Compass made more difference than the Amp.

Keep in mind the GS-Solo, if you plan to use the iPod, will only amplify the crap that comes out of the iPod. I recommend a computer setup with a good external DAC.

Good luck.

Yup.
smily_headphones1.gif
My HD 650s are for my home use only, I'll be keeping the TF10s for my portable rig. So they'll be hooked up to my PC.

My upgrade path is looking like this right now:
  1. ESI Juli@
  2. Graham Slee Solo w/ PSU1
  3. HeadAmp Pico (Portable Rig)
  4. External DAC (Undecided)

I'm in school full time, and as such only have a part time job, so I'm doing the best that I can.
smily_headphones1.gif
But I'll get there eventually.
biggrin.gif
Also, it's fun to have things to look forward to, and I'll appreciate them more.

I hope one day I can become like some of you guys where you have 5 sets of headphones at home, 3 amps, 3 DACs, crazy record setups, and the whole bit! </jealous> :p

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 31
@convenant: $205 for HD650 n u'r still feelin sorry for his wallet?? it's probably secretly doin a victory dance in the background!!

Awesome cans LostChild1, enjoy them.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_4_Dog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@convenant: $205 for HD650 n u'r still feelin sorry for his wallet?? it's probably secretly doin a victory dance in the background!!

Awesome cans LostChild1, enjoy them.

Hahaha! My wallet is happy now. But once I drop the $800CAD on the GS Solo w/ PSU1, it won't be so happy!
biggrin.gif

And thank you D_4_Dog, I for sure will!
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostChild1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ex-girlfriend's mom recently started a job at Sennheiser, at which she gets any Sennheiser product at the manufacturing cost + 10% off.

Quote:

But she was able to get them for me, brand new, for 205USD.

Sennheiser's manufacturing cost for each pair of HD650s is $228?
eek.gif

Anyway, enjoy those HD650s, especially for that price.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by xchagg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif

They're selling them for a VERY reasonable price if so, even at full RRP.

@LostChild1 - you may be surprised how capable the Pico DAC is. Now that there's a DAC-only version as well, I'd be planning on that as my upgrade path, rather than the Juli@.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by xchagg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif

Anyway, enjoy those HD650s, especially for that price.

You went the wrong way on your math. If $205 is Cost + 10%, Cost is $186. Still, that's not hard to believe. Materials are cheap. Labor isn't.

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You went the wrong way on your math. If $205 is Cost + 10%, Cost is $186. Still, that's not hard to believe. Materials are cheap. Labor isn't.

Ahh, but the OP posted that the phones were purchased for manufacturing cost + 10% off, which I take to be a further 10% discount off the manufacturing price?

Mar 20, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #11 of 31
Would you be able to sneak another pair?
biggrin.gif

Kidding. Congrats!

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Alright, a little bit of backstory to start us off:
Except, I didn't pay that, no sir. I hit GOLD on these Senn's. My ex-girlfriend's mom recently started a job at Sennheiser, at which she gets any Sennheiser product at the manufacturing cost + 10% off.

Now, I've seen used HD650s sell on here for 350USD, I've seen new ones on eBay for 400USD. But she was able to get them for me, brand new, for

Dude, not cool posting an exclusive price. When deals come your way that only a few can enjoy, enjoy in silence.

That said, enjoy your HD650s. I am enjoying mine.

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 31
Well, they do come up that low once in a while, even less. Never nib though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back