Sennheiser HD 650 & 800 also Stax 009 & 404 Signature...What source is best
Dec 2, 2012 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

maslak34

New Head-Fier
Currently I have the Schiit Lyr and Bifrost driving the Sennheisers and the Stax 006tII driving the 404Signature and the 009..

I have my custom built server with SotM USB interface and all SSD wth SOtM noise filters and an fanless power supply... External disc is Lacie and have ripped over 1000cds..

I am thinking about gettting a cd player/ source for the system.. what will yuor recommendation be pls?

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 5
I own a Meridian 507 paired with Stax 006t and 404 Signature.

I matched this Stax system with Musical Fidelity Trivista and an Acchuphase entry-level CD player, but the sound was too analytical in the first case and too relaxed with the second.

Meridian plays a quick and natural sound which makes it going hand in hand with my Stax system.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 5
I have and like very much the PS Audio PWD and the NAD M51.  I also still like the Electrocompaniet ECD-1 and wish I never sold it.  All would work well in that system imo.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #4 of 5
Out of the digital sources I've auditioned recently the Resolution Cantana was my pick. I was underwhelmed by the Perfect Wave gear when I had it for a few weeks but it was by no means (at all) bad. Still an upgrade from my Cambridge 851C (which I still like very much as well). 

I'd recommend a tube CD player (which I like as well), but I think you'd find it too laid back. The Cantana is the perfect middle ground of the 2 extremes (IMO).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back