Sennheiser HD 600 vs 660s for someone that likes 650/6XX
Feb 13, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #16 of 41
Feb 13, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #17 of 41
As your profile says New York, why not demo at a store or the upcoming CanJam show

What the above poster wrote. HD650 and 6XX are the same headphone. 660S is being discounted as the 660S2 is now newly released. The HD600 and HD650 are worth demoing side-by-side as it is a matter of taste and system synergy which the listener prefers, despite the HD650 having a "higher number"

It might just be you are looking for a different sound profile from the Sennheiser HD6__ series. Or end up being happy with what you have on trying what is out there

Fiio is a 'specification manufacturer' in that you know what you are getting at a competitive price. Would demo your existing headphones on another source before buying a new headphone. Only thing worse than side-grading with your hard earned is down-grading. I would be patient with the wallet and demo in person when you can

I can see how what I wrote above doesn't make sense. My plan was to gift my 6XX to my brother and I would buy a nicer pair. That's why I asked if I should get the 600, 650 or 660s. Basically, give myself an upgrade in the process.

I'm currently in DC and won't be back in NY for a couple of weeks. But that would be awesome - thank you so much for telling me about it!

Feb 13, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #18 of 41
I can see how what I wrote above doesn't make sense. My plan was to gift my 6XX to my brother and I would buy a nicer pair. That's why I asked if I should get the 600, 650 or 660s. Basically, give myself an upgrade in the process.

I'm currently in DC and won't be back in NY for a couple of weeks. But that would be awesome - thank you so much for telling me about it!

If your bro is still in NYC, then maybe you can have a starting offer of $250 for this used Hifiman Edition XS to this guy and if he accepts your offer, your bro can meet up with them to see if they still work:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/for/d/new-york-high-end-audio-sale/7583928047.html

If they do work well and you do get them, then you can gift your HD6XX to your brother and later buy that Sabaj A20h kit with cables as a job-well-done. :)

Feb 13, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #19 of 41
Highly debatable that edition XS is an upgrade.
And that smooth, addictive sound you hear with 6XX/650 is something very few (any?) headphones managed to achieve, the edition XS is not gonna be anything like that.

Many consider 6XX/650 best technical performer of the 3 senns above, many use 6XX/650 as their endgame because it is already a very strong performer and all the alternatives that may outperform it on some levels (Focals, some Hifimans, HD800, Beyer T1) all do so at the cost of that smoothness and near perfectly balanced response.
You can chase upgrades but you will be disappointed on some level.

Also dont really agree with getting a tube amp, in my experience they are just expensive sound enhancers (distortion generator) , which is fine and they can sound really great but they aren't making the HD6XX itself sound any better, which is what people seem to suggest.
I prefer good solid state amp for clean, controlled sound .

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #20 of 41
Highly debatable that edition XS is an upgrade.
And that smooth, addictive sound you hear with 6XX/650 is something very few (any?) headphones managed to achieve, the edition XS is not gonna be anything like that.

Many consider 6XX/650 best technical performer of the 3 senns above, many use 6XX/650 as their endgame because it is already a very strong performer and all the alternatives that may outperform it on some levels (Focals, some Hifimans, HD800, Beyer T1) all do so at the cost of that smoothness and near perfectly balanced response.
You can chase upgrades but you will be disappointed on some level.

Also dont really agree with getting a tube amp, they are just expensive sound enhancers, they can sound really great but they aren't making the HD6XX itself sound any better, which is what people seem to suggest.
I thought the HD 600 was the most technical and hence its use as a reference?

Feb 13, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #21 of 41
I thought the HD 600 was the most technical and hence its use as a reference?
No, most seemed to agree HD650/6XX is better performer over 600. That was my experience too, HD600 has some of best vocals ever but definitely rougher sounding and bass is not as a clean or tight as 650.
The HD600 is very neutral sounding, so for that reason some might consider it a better reference.

HD660S is more mixed bag, havent heard it, some say its better than 6XX and some say worse, however it is brighter and I think it gives an unfair advantage in 'detail' department... so I lean towards 6XX

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #22 of 41
No, most seemed to agree HD650/6XX is better performer over 600. That was my experience too, HD600 has some of best vocals ever but definitely rougher sounding and bass is not as a clean or tight as 650.
The HD600 is very neutral sounding, so for that reason some might consider it a better reference.

HD660S is more mixed bag, havent heard it, some say its better than 6XX and some say worse, however it is brighter and I think it gives an unfair advantage in 'detail' department... so I lean towards 6XX

To be fair, I never said better; I said most technical. Being a newbie to the field, I get my information from DMS, Z-Reviews and other YouTubers:
DMS: HD580, HD600, HD650, HD6XX
Z Reviews: HD 660s

As for better, from what people have said, it seems like I should be fine with the 6XX, especially since I can listen to any genre.

Feb 13, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #23 of 41
Well, I dont know what most technical is supposed to mean. I brought up technical performance, meaning, in the simplest terms possible, how well the headphone can reproduce detail and information in the recording, lack of distortion. 650 is best in this regard imo.
"best" in general is obviously more subjective.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #24 of 41
The 660s has the warmth of the 6XX, but the ability to resolve details and no veil. I also own the 560s and yes, they're way too bright. The 660s is perfect to me. I love them so much. It has this thick meaty sound without sounding congested and the bass has so much detail and texture that you can pick out every note (something I struggle to do with my IEMs). The 660s also has rolled off treble, but just enough to let the details come through, but it's never harsh or overdone like the 560s.

Feb 13, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #25 of 41
Well, I dont know what most technical is supposed to mean. I brought up technical performance, meaning, in the simplest terms possible, how well the headphone can reproduce detail and information in the recording, lack of distortion. 650 is best in this regard imo.
"best" in general is obviously more subjective.

Meaning, most accurate and unadulterated sound that you would use for studio monitoring. I've seen the term used a few times:

The first time I heard it was when I was researching the 560s and if I come across where, I will link the review.

Is there another word for this in the audiophile community?

Feb 13, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #26 of 41
Meaning, most accurate and unadulterated sound that you would use for studio monitoring. I've seen the term used a few times:

The first time I heard it was when I was researching the 560s and if I come across where, I will link the review.

Is there another word for this in the audiophile community?

Reference sound?

Feb 13, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #30 of 41
The 660s has the warmth of the 6XX, but the ability to resolve details and no veil. I also own the 560s and yes, they're way too bright. The 660s is perfect to me. I love them so much. It has this thick meaty sound without sounding congested and the bass has so much detail and texture that you can pick out every note (something I struggle to do with my IEMs). The 660s also has rolled off treble, but just enough to let the details come through, but it's never harsh or overdone like the 560s.

I use the 560s for classical music but now that I'm moving around for work, it's kind of a hassle to take multiple cans. The 6XX pretty much work for every genre. If the 660s can build off that, then I'll have my endgame headphones. Maybe I'll use the advice above and invest in a nicer DAC & AMP.

BTW, do you think the 58X are very close to the 660s? That what Zeos said: I have the 58X and I actually prefer the 6XX to them. The only time I prefer the 58X is for R&B / rap, and I rarely listen to these genres. I only bought them because they were $150. If the 58X are very close, then it not make sense to get the 660s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back