Sennheiser HD 600 (300ohm) portable amp?
Jan 27, 2022 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

sidpost

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a portable amp for my Sennheiser HD 600 headphones which are 300 ohm. Bluetooth would be nice but, I'm not sure of a cost-effective and good performing amp at a moderate price point with Bluetooth functionality. I would like to drive it with a Samsung S9 cellphone without a standard jack so, it looks like Bluetooth or USB-C is required. Some EQ would be nice but, not required.

What is good around $200? Or, do I need to allocate more to the purchase? I'm not supercritical with this application, especially considering the 'open nature' of these headphones. That said, I may want to use this amp in the future with closed headphones that may be low impedance as well. I don't want volume levels that make my ears bleed but, I want enough power to catch good transients and details. My musical tastes are pretty wide and varied but, I'm not into techno-pop or rap/hip hop.

TIA,
Sid

Jan 27, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 18
I found a used fiio Q5s for $200 and it has been by far and away my favorite purchase. Bluetooth works very well with it, I have used with the HD650's and it can push way more than enough power. Would 100% recommend if you can find it for around 200 in the classifieds section here or over on AVexchange on reddit!

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #5 of 18
I found a used fiio Q5s for $200 and it has been by far and away my favorite purchase. Bluetooth works very well with it, I have used with the HD650's and it can push way more than enough power. Would 100% recommend if you can find it for around 200 in the classifieds section here or over on AVexchange on reddit!
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/fiio-q5s-dd-case.19014/

this just popped up in classifieds! great price, that is what I paid for mine!

Jan 28, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 18
I doubt that anything listed above will push your phones. I have a Hip DAC2 and cables for my Hifiman HE6SEV2s...... I just upgraded my Geshelli V1 to a V2 (2 watts per channel and it marginally pushes them). There is a difference between sound coming out, and driving a headphone properly. WIll let you know how it works out.

Jan 28, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 18
I bought the new Fio K3 on a whim and it will power my Senn 650s and even line out to my bottlehead crack with a 3.5mm to RCA. It uses the Sabre 9038 dac and it sounded astonishingly good over tubes. Sounds good on the 3.5mm headphone jack too but the tube is where its at.

5E930F2E-B7DD-4C4F-A799-546953B94F15.jpeg

Jan 29, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 18
https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/fiio-q5s-dd-case.19014/

this just popped up in classifieds! great price, that is what I paid for mine!

Waiting on a PayPal invoice on these! Thanks!

I just ordered an ifi xCan brand new from Adorama for $170, should be in tomorrow. https://www.adorama.com/ifi310002.html?sdtid=15484672&emailprice=t&sterm

It seems to have the most power (1W @ 32 ohm balanced) in this price range.

Cons against it before I've even received it - no USB DAC and iffy quality on 2.5mm balanced plug.

That is a great price on that amp. When I Googled it came up as $300 but, your link got me the $170 price.

With this amp, the Q5S should last a long time on its charge for long journies away from power to recharge. It should also drive any headphones with plenty of power with plenty of 'headroom' left over for good quality sound. 12hrs with Bluetooth is pretty good too for when I want to travel light.

Feb 3, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #13 of 18
Waiting on a PayPal invoice on these! Thanks!

That is a great price on that amp. When I Googled it came up as $300 but, your link got me the $170 price.

With this amp, the Q5S should last a long time on its charge for long journies away from power to recharge. It should also drive any headphones with plenty of power with plenty of 'headroom' left over for good quality sound. 12hrs with Bluetooth is pretty good too for when I want to travel light.
Awesome! Let me know what you think of the unit, I am currently listening to my LCD-3's with the fiio haha

Feb 3, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #14 of 18
Awesome! Let me know what you think of the unit, I am currently listening to my LCD-3's with the fiio haha

With the cold front moving into Texas, no USPS mail today and the weather is going to be worse through Sunday. :sob:

Looks like I won't see my new Amp and Q5S until next week at the earliest. Right now everything I have in-bound is sitting in Dallas with no movement for the past two days. My new laptop shipped from China and sat in the West Coast port for two weeks as well.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #15 of 18
With the cold front moving into Texas, no USPS mail today and the weather is going to be worse through Sunday. :sob:

Looks like I won't see my new Amp and Q5S until next week at the earliest.
Ah i hate that so much, good luck with the weather! My buddy works in Austin texas for their ambulance and they are prepping for a nightmare like last year haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back