Sennheiser HD 5xx upgrade worth it?
Oct 29, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #31 of 42
Ah okay, that explains why it was left out.

I've further read up on the DTs and am able to cross out the 770 too, as I want open headphones. So that only leaves the 990. But dear god was I overwhelmed with the number of different versions by Ohms. We got 16, 32, 80, 250, and 600. Especially now that I have the Fiio E10K, which Ohm level should I target? Also, what's the difference between normal and PRO?

However, I've also done some research on the X2 and have realized that those sell used at roughly 200€, which is minimally more than used HD 600 would cost here. But especially considering I didn't like the latter's sound too much, this might be worth the extra, especially if it's a long-time investment.

So in comparison, I really don't know what to do. X2 vs DT 990?

X2 has big warm bass and present treble but retain HD600's cohesiveness and relatively forgiving presentation.
DT990 is different, it has punchy, faster mid-bass, more instrument separation and much more detailed and upfront treble. Overall a more clinical presentation that works better with most top class recordings but it's quite unforgiving with the less than perfect ones.

DT990 Pro 250 Ohm is cheaper and looks great. (coiled cable here)
If you wanr straight cable then DT990 Premium 250 Ohm

Oct 31, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #32 of 42
If you ask me, since the fiio e10k is capable of powering 150 ohms without problems (as stated od their site), I would say go with 80 ohms version, and nothing below that
It will power them nicely and loud
250 version would be maybe / probably too much for the fiio, and you wouldn't be able to get adequate volume on those headphones
And as far as I know, pro versions of DT headphones have better build quality from the non pro versions, but maybe I am wrong, if i am, someone correct me

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #33 of 42
If you ask me, since the fiio e10k is capable of powering 150 ohms without problems (as stated od their site), I would say go with 80 ohms version, and nothing below that
It will power them nicely and loud
250 version would be maybe / probably too much for the fiio, and you wouldn't be able to get adequate volume on those headphones
And as far as I know, pro versions of DT headphones have better build quality from the non pro versions, but maybe I am wrong, if i am, someone correct me

I had a DT990 (250 Ohm) and still have a DT880 (250 Ohm), you can make both loud with FiiO E10K despite the 150 Ohm mark on FiiO's page. FiiO is known for being conservative in this regard.

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #34 of 42

I had a DT990 (250 Ohm) and still have a DT880 (250 Ohm), you can make both loud with FiiO E10K despite the 150 Ohm mark on FiiO's page. FiiO is known for being conservative in this regard.

I don't really have much clue about this topic, but is the impedance really just there fore volume alone? I thought it also tells you how much power you need to get the full sound scape. As was with the HD 600 when I tried them on my crappy onboard, I was able to get them loud enough, but a lot of bass was eaten up.

Though maybe I inherently misunderstand the point of headphone impedance. Can you explain?

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #35 of 42

I don't really have much clue about this topic, but is the impedance really just there fore volume alone? I thought it also tells you how much power you need to get the full sound scape. As was with the HD 600 when I tried them on my crappy onboard, I was able to get them loud enough, but a lot of bass was eaten up.

Though maybe I inherently misunderstand the point of headphone impedance. Can you explain?

The impedance is a complex measure of the difficulty to pass an electric current through a conductor.
A complex concept... Quite a lot of math and other concepts are needed in order to explain impedance in depth.

In very simple terms, high impedance means the headphone drains very little current from the amplifier and thus it's easier to drive.
(need little power)
Then impedance is not an issue.

Some headphones like HD600/HD650/K702/HE-560/HE-6/...
Need relatively high voltage to sound loud. Not because of their impedance, but because of their low sensitivity given in dB SPL / Volt
(loudness / applied voltage). Then you'll need an amplifier that's capable of providing that kind of voltage without distortion.

With respect to your onboard audio chip, maybe it has enough power but it has terrible sound quality, and that's what you are getting.
Quality headphones will expose the source as it is.

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #36 of 42
The X2 are finally and what can I say...? 200€ well spent. I'm serious. They sound like we were made for each other.

It comes with real shame that I will have to send back the Sennheisers, as I actually had faith in that brand. However, it seems like their headphones are less for bass-addicts like me and more for the people who strive for as pure sound as possible. Which is totally reasonable, but I don't fit into that niche as much.

Thanks for all the feedback and help, guys! Especially to you, Me x3, for your help on DACs and whatnot. :D

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #37 of 42
This thread is of interest to me right now, since I'm considering upgrading to a nice set of open back headphones. I've also been looking at the HD600/650, along with the X2 and Hifiman 400S. My biggest concern is low end bass, since I want a solid low end, and I'm worried that I may be disappointed with their bass production. Which headphone out of these has the best sub bass production? I will use these headphones for movies at times, so along with soundstage I will need some solid bass.

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #38 of 42
This thread is of interest to me right now, since I'm considering upgrading to a nice set of open back headphones. I've also been looking at the HD600/650, along with the X2 and Hifiman 400S. My biggest concern is low end bass, since I want a solid low end, and I'm worried that I may be disappointed with their bass production. Which headphone out of these has the best sub bass production? I will use these headphones for movies at times, so along with soundstage I will need some solid bass.

Of course I'm in a peculiar situation here because I can only retell what this whole topic has done in the previous days. However, I did try the HD 518, HD 598, HD 600, and as of last the X2 within this time span, so I believe I have some backup to what I'm saying.

Hands down, the best bass goes easily to the X2. I think there's no surprise there. Have been listening to the entirety of a couple metal albums already and was blown away. The bass is loud but nit distorted and doesn't drown out the mids and highs either.

Well, not entirely.

Where the X2 stops being better is when it comes to highs. Because although it's still amazing (as you should expect from 300€ headphones), it looks old in comparison to the HD 600. Its highs are out of this world.

But it does have a really lame bass to me, even worse than the HD 518 or HD 598. However, those also are a different price range. If you don't want to spend a fortune I'm recommending one of those. They're overall more "fun" to listen to than the HD 600, although they're not nearly as accurate or amazing in the highs.

Comparing the HD 518 vs. HD 598, the former has boomier bass while the latter has more refined mids and highs.

Best sound stage, out of all these phones, is a difficult question. I'm gonna go with the HD 600, as its neutrality comes with the benefit of making it possible to tell all the individual instruments out. This is definitely another trade of the X2, though they still have a better sound stage than my 518 ever did.

If you plan to use these for entertainment only, with no interest to producing music or being interested in classical music too much, I'd go with the X2, or a 5xx if you plan to save money. Imo, the 600 is never a good idea if you care about bass or music production.

I cannot speak for the Hifiman at all, I'm afraid. But still hope this helps.

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #39 of 42
Thank you very much Selbi for the detailed reply. I do plan on listening to music with the headphones as well, probably more so than entertainment (movies etc).  I'm having a hard time finding a set of cans that will work well with what I want. It seems you have to sacrifice low end sub bass for excellent soundstage, since it seems open back is the way to go for soundstage. I already own multiple pairs of closed back headphones that have fantastic bass, and sound amazing with the music genres I listen to most often (hip-hop, electronic, rap). But my current closed back headphones do not sound very good with YouTube content, and or movies etc. 

I do have a pair of Soundmagic HP200's that are semi-open, which sound MUCH better for movies etc. I also listen to other genres at times (rock, pop, etc), and the HP200's perform much better than my closed back cans for that. FWIW I power them with a Dragonfly DAC and Fiio E12 amp. Because the HP200's sound so much better, I would like to upgrade to a nicer pair of open back headphones. And that was what brought me into looking at the HD600/650, Fidelio X2's, etc. 

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #40 of 42
Happy Listening!
beerchug.gif

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #41 of 42
Just my .02 but I do not think the 599 sounds much at all like the 598. The 598 sounds scooped in the mids. This created a slightly wider soundstage but makes vocals sound slightly raspy and with less weight. The 599 have a slightly smaller soundstage but still have a wonder open quality. The mids are seductively smooth and full. Highs are slightly attenuated, but I'm not into top end sizzle. Bass is tight. Most importanly clarity is improved. Presentation reminds me of my speaker setup. I auditioned several phones including HFM 400s and Meze and Fostex. The Meze was tops but ears got warm and the soundstage is not as wide since its closed. The 599 combo of open back and smooth, clean, neutral playback won me over. 

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #42 of 42
Been listening to the 599 since this morning. Like the 598 this thing is hard not to love #sennfan

What do you guys think about the hd 579 compared to 598/599? Right now they are significantly cheaper, but still a significant upgrade over shp9500 for instance? I think they do sound great, but do drop off more than I thought they would at the lower end given the frequency range specs, and are not quite as comfortable as I expected given all the internet hype on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back