Sennheiser HD 5xx upgrade worth it?
Oct 10, 2016 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Selbi

100+ Head-Fier
I've just stumbled upon the news that Sennheiser has released a new set of headphones for the HD 500 series. My current cans, HD 518, have come of age. However, they are still fully functional.

Nonetheless, I'm curious whether or not an upgrade to the new series is worth the money. For a very, very long time I was already considering getting the HD 598, which are obviously outdated now. Unfortunately, the new series is so new that I can barely find any good reviews. I'm mostly curious how the HD 579 sounds compared to the HD 599, as well as where the HD 598 fit in between the new series.

Before anyone recommends the HD 600 series or anything above, don't. I use my headphones for traveling a lot, so I need low impedance. They are also used at my home desktop quite often too, though. I play a ton of FPS games and listen to Heavy Metal basically 24/7. My current HD 518 were pretty damn good to fulfill these two tasks, and since I never had any better headphones, I cannot exactly tell what I'm missing out with them. Thus, I also cannot tell if the upgrade is worth it (especially considering my HD 518 are still fully functional).

What do you say?

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 42
I've just stumbled upon the news that Sennheiser has released a new set of headphones for the HD 500 series. My current cans, HD 518, have come of age. However, they are still fully functional.

Nonetheless, I'm curious whether or not an upgrade to the new series is worth the money. For a very, very long time I was already considering getting the HD 598, which are obviously outdated now. Unfortunately, the new series is so new that I can barely find any good reviews. I'm mostly curious how the HD 579 sounds compared to the HD 599, as well as where the HD 598 fit in between the new series.

Before anyone recommends the HD 600 series or anything above, don't. I use my headphones for traveling a lot, so I need low impedance. They are also used at my home desktop quite often too, though. I play a ton of FPS games and listen to Heavy Metal basically 24/7. My current HD 518 were pretty damn good to fulfill these two tasks, and since I never had any better headphones, I cannot exactly tell what I'm missing out with them. Thus, I also cannot tell if the upgrade is worth it (especially considering my HD 518 are still fully functional).

What do you say?

If I were you, I would use HD600 unamped
; )

You should consider the Soundmagic HP200
http://noblehifi.blogspot.com.ar/2013/05/soundmagic-hp200-review.html

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 42

Neither of those remarks answer my question.

HD598/9 play in the same ballpark, both similar and both better than HD518. Clarity is the main difference.

HD600 is significantly better than HD598/9 in most aspects and you can still use them plugged directly into your laptop.
You get more of HD6x0's magic with unamped HD6x0 than with an unamped different headphone.

HP200 is pretty much on HD598/9 level of performance, but it's more lively and thus it might be a better match for FPS and Heavy Metal.

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 42
The "worth" part is very personal, and depends strongly on your preferences.
Some headphones are better than HD518 for FPS
Some headphones are better for heavy metal
Some headphones are built with better materials

The Fidelio X2 is other headphone that worth looking, as it should tick those three boxes and is relatively easy to drive.
Still not as refined as HD6x0 in terms of ultimate sound quality.

Oct 10, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 42
I don't think you'll get any better answers than "Me x3".

I'm on a similar spot as you. Want a good headphone for FPS and heavy metal.

I already have the HP200 and those rock out. Was about to get a Fidelio X2 for a upgrade but I'll probably go with a HiFiMAN HE400S with Focus Pads and I'll get a FiiO E18 for portability.

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 42
When I auditioned the HD 5x8 I found they all share the same sonic signature. I went with the HD 598 because of the looks and the ever so slighty cleaner presentation. I would never in my life switch from HD 518 to HD 599. I have to go with what Me x3 said. I really like the HD 598s but man, the HD 580 and 650 are in another league, period. And thats the route you should go. Dont settle for those incremental upgrades. Go all the way.

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 42
Hmm, I'm just unsure how the 600 should work at all if I don't have an amp. I don't understand too much about the technology behind it, but I know that 300 Ohms is a lot. When I went to my local media store to test out headphones, the 600 was always either broken or too quiet for my peasy smartphone, whereas the 598 right next to it could get sufficient power.

It's also a price question, since the 600 series costs a hefty bit more than the 500s series. If I'm also going to need an amp for them that doesn't suck then I'm already way out of my league.

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 42
  Hmm, I'm just unsure how the 600 should work at all if I don't have an amp. I don't understand too much about the technology behind it, but I know that 300 Ohms is a lot. When I went to my local media store to test out headphones, the 600 was always either broken or too quiet for my peasy smartphone, whereas the 598 right next to it could get sufficient power.

It's also a price question, since the 600 series costs a hefty bit more than the 500s series. If I'm also going to need an amp for them that doesn't suck then I'm already way out of my league.

It just need a tad more voltage than the HD5xx to sound loud, that's it.
On a phone, normal listening levels might be 60%-120% depending on the recordings and the phone.
On a laptop, it would be 40% - 70% (sometimes less)

FiiO A3 can drive the HD6xx with extra room and it's 60usd, but as I've said before, it's possible to use them without an amplifier.
My brother always uses his HD650 for FPS and movies plugged directly into his laptop.

HD6x0 will surely last a decade or more, so best chances are you'll be able to get an amplifier in the future.
Don't get us wrong, HD598/9 are fine headphones, but HD6x0 are end game if you like the classic Sennheiser sound.

If you check HD600's thread you'll find many people saying "Why I didn't get these before?"
And while you'll find many hard core audiophiles that kept HD600 through the years even when able to get fancier headphones, you won't find many of them keeping HD598/9.

There's no wrong way really, you can get HD598 and enjoy, then sell HD598 in the future if you feel the need and get someting else.
We try to recommend the upgrade path we would take in your position.

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #10 of 42
  It just need a tad more voltage than the HD5xx to sound loud, that's it.

I've seen different answers, on this forum even. That's why I'm unsure.

Don't get us wrong, HD598/9 are fine headphones, but HD6x0 are end game if you like the classic Sennheiser sound.

I'm not quite sure what that last part is supposed to mean. The best headphones I've ever had in my entire life were the HD 518. No idea what "the classic Sennheiser sound" is.

And while you'll find many hard core audiophiles that kept HD600 through the years even when able to get fancier headphones, you won't find many of them keeping HD598/9.

When it comes to the question of longevity, my HD 518 have dropped on the floor countless times, I mindlessly threw it in my bag and traveled through half my country, and one time it even survived a failed mod attempt. Yet they still sound completely fine.

It's just that the HD 600 whenever I went to my local media store were worn as hell with this cheap plastic and didn't make any good impression sound-wise at all, maybe even because they were broken. Not much of a pig-in-a-poke guy, is what I'm saying.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #11 of 42

I've seen different answers, on this forum even. That's why I'm unsure.

Me x3: There's a fine line between need and deserve.
HD600/HD650 don't need an external amplifier or dedicated audiophile DAC to work, but they deserve quality gear, just as much as all the other top performers, even those that are easy to drive. Hifiman Edition X for instance is extremely easy to drive, easier than a Sennheiser HD598, and it really deserves a quality DAC/Amp. A phone won't provide the clarity these headphones are capable of. But same applies to HD598 to a lesser extent, plug HD598 into a phone and you get something, use a FiiO Q1 as a DAC/Amp to drive the very ame HD598 and you'll get better sound quality.

I'm not quite sure what that last part is supposed to mean. The best headphones I've ever had in my entire life were the HD 518. No idea what "the classic Sennheiser sound" is.

Me x3: Different brands have different sound signatures. The classic Sennheiser sound is warm and midcentric with smooth top end. Sennheiser lovers would say it's refined and easy going, detractors would say it's bloomy and veiled, you know... If you like the HD518 best chances are you'll like HD6x0. You can find similar performers from other brands like DT880/K702/K712 but they have a different kind of sound.

When it comes to the question of longevity, my HD 518 have dropped on the floor countless times, I mindlessly threw it in my bag and traveled through half my country, and one time it even survived a failed mod attempt. Yet they still sound completely fine.

It's just that the HD 600 whenever I went to my local media store were worn as hell with this cheap plastic and didn't make any good impression sound-wise at all, maybe even because they were broken. Not much of a pig-in-a-poke guy, is what I'm saying.

Me x3: It could be a very mistreated old pair, hard to know really, keep in mind the HD600 has been around since 1996. Sennheiser HD6x0 are all made in Ireland and proven to be very durable, more so I think you can get all their parts in case you break them. You can still see people using the older HD580 from 1993!!

In the end, picking the right headphone is quite a personal task.
I would recommend the DT880 Pro as it's often cheaper than HD6x0 and thus you might be able to get a small amplifier, but DT880 is much cooler sounding and more detail orientated, not sure if you'll like it coming from HD518.

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #12 of 42

What do you say?

Hi, I will have the new HD599 in the next day.s, and I'll compare to my 598 (which, btw, did not became outdated only because there is the hd599, if it's good, it's still good - and it's good indeed). I don't believe to find great differences.

Moreover... maybe for your purposes the HD518 is already the perfect headphone.

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #13 of 42

Hi, I will have the new HD599 in the next day.s, and I'll compare to my 598 (which, btw, did not became outdated only because there is the hd599, if it's good, it's still good - and it's good indeed). I don't believe to find great differences.

Moreover... maybe for your purposes the HD518 is already the perfect headphone.

Please do let me know about your review once it's out! :)

Regarding the HD 518, yeah, they do their job fine. I just feel like an upgrade couldn't harm.

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #14 of 42

Please do let me know about your review once it's out! :)

Regarding the HD 518, yeah, they do their job fine. I just feel like an upgrade couldn't harm.

Yeah! The 599 arrives on monday. Stay tuned :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back