Sennheiser HD 598
May 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

prolong

New Head-Fier
Are these headphones a great choice for someone who is listening most of the times to metal? Just regular metallica, slipknot and other bands that sounds like that, no death metal or so, listening to a lot of pop too when ever I'm not in the mood for metal. Also, how much sound does the Sennheiser leak compared to my previous Steelseries Siberia V1? I'm also going to buy a sound card, which one of these would you recommend the most with the 598?
https://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/ROG_Xonar_Phoebus/#overview
or
https://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_STX/

Thanks.

May 26, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 8
I think there are better choises for metal...
I have both (HD598 + STX) and the soundcard improve (by "alot") the quality of the sound.
Comparing both soundcars... All i can say is this:
Phoebus: Gaming
ST/X: Sound Quality

Sorry about my poor english... That's not my native language.

May 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
I think there are better choises for metal...
I have both (HD598 + STX) and the soundcard improve (by "alot") the quality of the sound.
Comparing both soundcars... All i can say is this:
Phoebus: Gaming
ST/X: Sound Quality

Sorry about my poor english... That's not my native language.

there probably are better choices yeah but how are they with metal in general? is it still great sound or is it annoyingly bad in some way? like too much bass or so. I mostly want to pick HD 598 since I've heard a lot of comments that it is most likely the most comfortable headphones on the market right now, is this true on your end too?

alright so I guess I will go with STX then too. :)

May 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 8
Most comfortable headphones ever.

Doing metal just fine, voices, guitars sound amazing, with live recordings you actually are in the concert, bass is defined an punchy but not earth shattering. Perfect for gaming too.

May 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 8
The bass is kinda lacking to be honest, which to me works well for lighter rock, acoustic guitar, and classical/orchestral. I'm not a metal person, but I do listen to harder rock, and have a few metal songs, and I'd say the ATH M50 is better suited for the heavier genres. That said, I can't wear the M50 for more than 20 minutes at a time especially now in the summer. The HD 598 wins hands down in comfort. I can wear them for hours on end with no problems. Only my HD 700 is more comfortable, and I've only recognized the HD 598 being less comfortable after getting the HD 700.

More specifically, it makes metal and heavier rock songs too clean sounding.

May 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #8 of 8
yeah well i'm back, I bought these and I don't regret it. It has a very realistic sound, and the bass is actually good when listening to metal, if it would be higher than this, it would just make you tired after a while. I really like these, they work with all my musical taste which are pop, rock, heavy metal, metalcore, alternative. I also like trance and stuff and these work out just fine, but they are surely not angled to that kind of music, so if you only want to listen to bass music like dubstep, trance, techno etc, then don't go for these.

Must say as the one above said, they are extremely comfortable. I can wear them for hours without ever getting slightly tired, that means both neck, head and ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back