Sennheiser HD 598 with a bit more bass, closed-back, sealed?
Sep 15, 2013 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PointItZoomIt

New Head-Fier
Is there such a thing? HD 598 sounds good, but I'd like a bit more bass.

I also want it to have the following features:
  1. Isolating, but not necessarily portable.
  2. Over the ear and very comfortable (also with glasses). Ideally pleather or extremely soft velour - velour can be annoying to me.
  3. No amp required. To be used with a PC or a phone (still doesn't have to be portable).
  4. Good build quality (detachable cable just in case?). Not something that will start falling apart after 6 months of careful use.
  5. Not too bright/harsh.
  6. Have a lot of clarity.
  7. Cost. Is $300 enough? Good value is important.

I understand that generally speaking, open- and closed-back headphones can sound differently. That's fine. Still looking for good SQ of course. All-around good for many music generes.

Also tried:
Sennheiser HD 449 - mids/highs sounded veiled - did not like.
Klipsch Image ONE II - way too much bass, but not a bad sound otherwise.
Bose AE2 - based on FR curves, they should have more bass than HD598 and similar otherwise, so you'd think they should be good, but oddly enough bass was lacking, and overall I liked them a lot less than HD598. Very comfortable, and isolation is good.
Bose QuietComfort 15 - probably a bit too much bass, or was it fine... don't remember; there's something unsatisfying about them too (like AE2) that I can't put my finger on, though they're not too bad.
Monster DNA - Would prefer less bass. Pretty good otherwise. Too much clamping force, but they're on the ear anyway. One of the reasons I decided to go with over the ear.
Sony MDR-V55 - No sound isolation at all, and are mildly uncomfortable. Bass was fine, I think, but mids are recessed? I should have made a note right away.

Thanks for any suggestions. I think I've listened to what I could locally and could be relevant, so I'd have to go by recommendations and technical charts, even if both are imprecise.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the suggestions.

It seems that a lot of people have problems with build quality on the Shure SRH940, but I have a different question if anyone cares to answer.
Looking at the charts (http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2851&graphID[]=3101&scale=30), it's nearly identical to the HD598, except for a bump in the highs I may not be crazy about. If I'm looking for more bass than HD598 has, would SRH940 is still an option because being closed-back the bass would be more prominent, or is it safe to assume they sound similar in this sense?

Thinking about this a bit more, I'll set $300 as my upper limit (plus, Canadian prices will probably bring it above anyway). That removes the other two from consideration, but I appreciate all the suggestions anyway, as looking at more models and reviews let me fine-tune my requirements.

I would like something with a sound signature similar to that of AT ATH-M50, AKG 550, V-Moda M-80. They're quite similar, and all have more bass than the HD 598, but not overwhelmingly so. http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2851&graphID[]=2941&graphID[]=3571&graphID[]=4001&scale=30

I'll be doing further research on these models to see how well they fit other requirements listed above. Additional suggestions will be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back