Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition $94 on Amazon
Nov 27, 2015 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NobleNoob4Life

New Head-Fier
Felt like I had to share this. Amazon is selling the Sennheiser 598 special edition (the black ones) for $94, today only as a part of Black Friday. Better get em quick before they run out! http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0126HISOO

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 9
I have a question about this. I recently bought the HD 598 from Amazon and I'm wondering if my sound card is good enough for this. It's the soundblaster recon3di you typically find in alienwares, is a DAC absolutely necessary for me to enjoy the quality of these headsets? I know it would sound better but this is my first pair of sennheiser headphones and I don't know if it's worth dropping another $100+ on a DAC if I can already enjoy the headset. 

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 9
They sound a lot better than the AD700s imo, more open sounding and less in bass. A lot more refined. Airconditioner, you don't need a DAC to enjoy these, nor do you need extremely high end setup. You could plug these into a cheap portable amp and enjoy them just as much. :)

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 9
well I bited that sale

waiting for it to arrive, been wanting this forever, because is the most hi-end I can afford, at 99 I didn't think twice... I had another sennheiser before and I love the sound signature

Luckly I also got a DENON M40 recently wich promises a dedicated phone amp, so no iphone with this!

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #9 of 9
well, I just got the phones by DHL

packaging is VERY basic, not a single paper inside. no transparent window like the "normal" edition.

I made a quick test with it and listed to a few tracks, all on CD or unconpressed Flac on my Denon-M40
I could only halfway on volume because it was already big sound pressure. The system has a phone amp. There's also a low-frequency booster. I listened to all songs on flat.

Overall the phones are on the mid-trebble side, nevertheless the lows will rock your head if the song has it.

Old Man by Neil Young (pono remaster): great stage and separation as always wth this track. The guitar's strings vibration on this are a neat detail. Tough a "little" white noise / hum is noticeable.
Watcher of the Skies by Genesis: I was annoyed by white noise / hum specially on the intro I didn't noticed with my speakers before.. Don't know if this is on every version of this record, but I know it was annalog recording so I tried some modern tunes as well.
Barrel of a Gun by Depeche mode: clean digital sound, deep bass, it just sounds good. Beats have big punch. This is an excellent track to test the low end of any system :wink:
Secret Society by Europe: that's a hard track to drive, I used this on purpose, to my surprise the HD598 does an incredible job with it, every instriment sits on it's place, you can evel tell the guitar is being double-channelled (a trick to make it sound heavier). The bass guitar sits on the back but it's clear, when I pushed the bass booster it came right into the front of the stage and wrecked the hall. There's a silent break at this song, it's awesome seing how the sound reconstructs from there. I recommend this track if you're testing any setup :wink:
Rattle That Lock by David Gilmour: crystal clear, perfect, ballanced, special effects flying arround, it seems like the music was made specially for theese phones. It actually sounded better than with my speakers.

that's it, just first impressions straight out of the box  :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back