Sennheiser HD 598-s problem with headphone jack
Mar 22, 2014 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

VIAmusic

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've had a pair of HD598's for a few weeks now.

As you know it has a headphone jack that attaches to the stereo jack(or whatever its called I'm a noob.) Whenever I plug it into my macbook to listen to music I have to always twist it around into a sweet spot before I hear the sound through both headphones. This can sometimes take minutes and I have to usually put a pen under the cable to keep it in that sweet spot? What can I do to fix this? 

Thanks 

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 8
First thing to try is another  third party 6.35mm 1/4 6.3mm Stereo Socket to 3.5mm Jack Headphone Adapter, could bethe sennheiser one is ever so slightly too narrow.

It could be just wear and tear on the cable somethings came loose or kinked / semi broke somewhere in the cable not worth trying to mend a cable just buy a new one.

Unless this doesn't happen on any other device in that case it's the connector is slightly too wide in the computer headphone port so it's not contacting the sennhesier connector well.

Only way to fix that would be to get to the insides and push the pins in slightly if possible but often they are very flimsy.

To me just sounds like a classic case of worn out cable hard to believe after 3 weeks yet possible, can happen if tugged or kinked or ran over with chair wheels etc etc

Try another 6.35mm 1/4 6.3mm Stereo Socket to 3.5mm Jack Headphone Adapteradapter other than the sennheiser one if that doesn't fix it then try a straight 3.5mm to 3.5 mm cable something like an s flex mini would fit the narrow hd598 opening (who cares if it doesn't twist lock).

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 8
Sorry, this is inherent in 3.5mm/1/8-inch jacks.  It's a wonder that it doesn't happen more often.  The metal involved has a physical limit of contact surface area and spring strength.  These things are almost at a critical point when combined with use, age, and corrosion.  Bottom line, any 3.5mm jack/plug connection - if used often enough - is going to degrade.  Whether it's spring fatigue or low-contact-area vs. corrosion propagation.

You can fight some of this, but it's a losing battle.  If your equipment is based on these plug sizes, then try to leave them plugged in at all times.  Multiple plug-ins/un-plugs will fatigue the spring in the jack contacts and exposure to open air of un-plugged jacks/plugs will allow corrosion to take place.  A second weapon is contact cleaner, or other formulations that have been developed for other sub-cultures.  Model railroading comes to mind - there are many rail formulations that are design to promote electrical contact between rail and model locomotive wheels.  I've used a product called "RailZip Track & Wheel Cleaner" for years with good success.

Of course, you can always replace the jack.  That's probably better than trying to replace the plug.  Still, it's only going to last awhile.  Just an FYI, but 1/4" jacks/plugs can last for decades, even rust/corrosion covered examples may still offer good contact.  It's simply a threshold situation with the material limits: 1/4" - decades of trouble-free contact, 1/8" (3.5mm) - maybe a year or so - or less (sometimes more), depending on tolerances and conditions.  It's largely unpredictable.  I think most portable equipment mfrs except the limitations with the idea that none of the portable devices are going to be in use for more than a couple of years.  This works for the great majority of equipment, but there are always anomalies ...

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm completely confused. Do I buy a new cable or new jack? This doesn't mean there's something wrong with my 250 dollar headphones right? 
If it twist to a sweet spot its the jack or the cable?

And thanks for the detailed replies Im just a noob:p 

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 8
  I'm completely confused. Do I buy a new cable or new jack? This doesn't mean there's something wrong with my 250 dollar headphones right? 

Get hold of another cable first you need to establish what is causing the problems

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 8
Hi,

I've had a pair of HD598's for a few weeks now.

As you know it has a headphone jack that attaches to the stereo jack(or whatever its called I'm a noob.) Whenever I plug it into my macbook to listen to music I have to always twist it around into a sweet spot before I hear the sound through both headphones. This can sometimes take minutes and I have to usually put a pen under the cable to keep it in that sweet spot? What can I do to fix this? 

Thanks 

Did you try the other way around?
1) did you try different phone with your mac?
2) did you try different source to pair senn?

If you have multimeter you can check end to end continuity testing of each pole(L,R & GND) to see if there's a short.

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 8

I am betting on a bad adapter from big to small. I would replace that one first. Then use your headphone from a different computer or music player to check if it is the socket on your computer that is the issue or the adapter.

Your headphones are most likely absolutely fine, it's the mechanical things that get stressed out first.

Cheers,
K

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 8
What 1/8 plug to 1/4 jack adapter are you using?  They are not all created equal.  I made one using a cheap 1/8 TRS plug and turned out to be a smaller diameter than my other plugs.  It could be felt when it was plugged into the jack.  It was loose, sloppy fitting and would break contact depending on how I pushed and turned it.  I threw that one away immediately, went back to Frys and picked up a $3 1/8" TRS extension cable, spliced off the jack end and re-terminated with a $3 1/8"TRS jack.  Its every bit as good as my more $$$ Grado adapter.

Do you have another source (mp3 player, CD player, radio... anything) with 1/8" jack by which to compare?  Does your 1/8" TRS plug still exhibit the same problems with those sources?  If so then its most likely a faulty 1/8" TRS plug.

Do you have another headphone with a 1/8" TRS plug by which to compare?  Try it out in the macbook.  Hopefully it does not exhibit the same problems... and its not the macbook TRS jack thats faulty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back