Sennheiser HD 598 Questions
Dec 25, 2012 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

yavoan

New Head-Fier
I just got the Sennheiser HD 598s for Christmas, and I was wondering what are the best settings for them on a computer. I have an Asus Xonar DX sound card. I'm an audio noob, so I don't know how many Audio Channels I should have, as well as sample rate. In addition is there any software I should be using to maximize performance? For audio playback I just use Foobar2000. Thanks!

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
I just got the Sennheiser HD 598s for Christmas, and I was wondering what are the best settings for them on a computer. I have an Asus Xonar DX sound card. I'm an audio noob, so I don't know how many Audio Channels I should have, as well as sample rate. In addition is there any software I should be using to maximize performance? For audio playback I just use Foobar2000. Thanks!

Heya,

The best "settings" are going to be whatever sounds best to you.

You have two drivers. All your audio is going to be stereo.
Sample rate is dictated by the media you playback, not really the setting. So it doesn't matter here.
FooBar2000 is already doing everything you need.

Very best,

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 11
adding an external headphone amplifier, $60-$90, should improve the audio quality, over plugging the headphones straight into the Xonar DX.

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
adding an external headphone amplifier, $60-$90, should improve the audio quality, over plugging the headphones straight into the Xonar DX.

Any signal passing from the DX to the headphone, is going to pass to that amplifier, and then be amplified.

And we're talking about an efficient headphone like the HD598.

Not sure how much improved quality, if any, can be expected here for an increase in cost that is about half the headphone's cost.

Very best,

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 11
I would say turn off all the gaming settings etc if you have them turned on. The surround sound software can really hurt the audio quality of music. I would also say try to get cd quality audio or above. You are already using foobar which is good. 

cheers

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Any signal passing from the DX to the headphone, is going to pass to that amplifier, and then be amplified.

The Xonar DX and D1 (same card with PCI interface) in fact have only a line output.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
And we're talking about an efficient headphone like the HD598.
Not sure how much improved quality, if any, can be expected here for an increase in cost that is about half the headphone's cost.

My two cents.

As the HD598 are 50-Ohm and the line-out/headphone jack of the Xonar DX/D1 is 100-Ohm.
I would assume the quality of the bass would improve with an external headphone amplifier (with a low impedance).

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

As the HD598 are 50-Ohm and the line-out/headphone jack of the Xonar DX/D1 is 100-Ohm.
I would assume the quality of the bass would improve with an external headphone amplifier (with a low impedance).
The Fiio E11 (portable) headphone amplifier is selling for new, on eBay, for $60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back