Sennheiser HD 598 or Beyerdynamic DT Headphones?
Dec 2, 2013 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Captain Proton

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking to get a pair of headphones in the $150 - $200 range and have narrowed my options down to the Sennheiser HD 598 or one of the Beyerdynamic DT headphones.

I would mostly be using these for listening to music (classical and jazz primarily, so lots of bass isn't important) and gaming. So far from what I read the HD 598 seems to be better for music while the Beyerdymanic headphones on average seem to be better for gaming, but that may be wrong since I've read conflicting reviews on that. Good musical performance and having the best soundstage possible is more important to me than how they perform in gaming, although it would be nice if they could do well in both.

Right now the best price I can find for the HD 598 is $185 while some of the Beyerdymanic DT headphones cost a bit less. Which pair would you recommend?

Thanks for any advice. 
smile.gif

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #2 of 4
  Hi, I'm looking to get a pair of headphones in the $150 - $200 range and have narrowed my options down to the Sennheiser HD 598 or one of the Beyerdynamic DT headphones.

I would mostly be using these for listening to music (classical and jazz primarily, so lots of bass isn't important) and gaming. So far from what I read the HD 598 seems to be better for music while the Beyerdymanic headphones on average seem to be better for gaming, but that may be wrong since I've read conflicting reviews on that. Good musical performance and having the best sound stage possible is more important to me than how they perform in gaming, although it would be nice if they could do well in both.

Right now the best price I can find for the HD 598 is $185 while some of the Beyerdymanic DT headphones cost a bit less. Which pair would you recommend?

Thanks for any advice. 
smile.gif

The Beyer DT770/DT880/DT990s need to be used with a headphone amplifier.
With the HD598, an amplifier is optional (but preferred).
Are these headphones going to be plugged into a Win PC?
Using on-board audio?

Dec 2, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 4
They will mostly be used with my Windows PC and Sound Blaster Z sound card which has a 600-Ohm headphone amp.

To me the DT880 is a better "over all sound" headphone, over the DT770s or DT990s.
The DT990 would be a good second choice.

The Senn HD558s is only $128.50 and uses the same drivers as the HD598 (but different cup design).
The AKG K612 Pro might be a better music headphone, over the Senn HD5XX series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back