Sennheiser HD 598 good for positional audio in FPS games like CS:GO?
Feb 27, 2016 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Smiped

Head-Fier
Hey, guys.

I just saw Mad Lust Envy's guide to gaming headphones and I saw that the Sennheiser HD 598 had a really good rating for competitiveness (9+ rating.) I was just wondering if the Sennheiser HD 598 is good for positional audio in FPS games like CS:GO? I want the best audio positioning for CS:GO possible for a price that won't break the bank. 

Also I saw that AKG Q 701 was good for gaming according to Mad Lust Envy's thread. Which is better though for positional audio in CS:GO - HD 598 or AKG 701 (since they are almost the same price), if they are any good at positional audio at all?

Thanks guys!

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm going to guess the AKG 701 is at least slightly better for FPS gaming, then the HD598.
but the 62-Ohm AKG 701 needs to be used with a decent headphone amplifier, the AKG might even be considered more power demanding then some 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.
Where as the 50-Ohm HD598 is somewhat amplifier optional.
might also consider getting a 50-Ohm Sennheiser HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups, make the HD558 more open, more like the HD598.

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 17
Why get the HD558 over the HD 598?

Also I see that some people say the difference is negligible and that a significant difference in positional hearing is only present up to a certain point when buying headphones. Is the better sound quality of AKG 701 for FPS games going to give me a competitive edge over the HD 598, or is it negligible?

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 17
  Why get the HD558 over the HD 598?

Also I see that some people say the difference is negligible and that a significant difference in positional hearing is only present up to a certain point when buying headphones. Is the better sound quality of AKG 701 for FPS games going to give me a competitive edge over the HD 598, or is it negligible?

The HD558 and HD598 use the same 50-Ohm drivers, so the HD558 should be just as good for FPS gaming, as the HD598.

AKG 701 verses HD598 (or HD558) is a question better asked on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-2-16-2016-fostex-th-600-creative-jam-notes-added

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 17
  Wait so why is the HD 598 more expensive? What is the difference?

The HD558 is set up to offer more bass.
Sennheiser installed black rubber tape inside the cups of the HD558, to cover about 40% of the air holes, assuming that it adds more bass and also keeps the HD558 from sounding too much like the HD598.
Guess Sennheiser found it made more sense, cost wise, to use the same 50-Ohm driver in a lot of their headphones, but just tweak the cup designs.

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 17
For me, even the AKG K240 S are better in terms of soundstage and positional accuracy than the HD 598s. If bass hinders the perception of positional cues/information Id say it depends on the headphone and its abilitiy to present a clear picture throughout the entire fr and of course on yourself and how you perceive sound in general. I kinda like to decrease bass in competetive gaming (I played CS 1.6 and CZ in the esl leagues) because it  kinda annoys me but that doesnt mean that the bass drowns out all the other acoustic information. 

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 17
The HD598s are the only nice headphones I've owned so far, so I may not be the most qualified to answer, but I find mine fantastic for CSGO. It almost feels like cheating sometimes when getting wallbangs, but I suppose you would have that with any nice set of cans. I've managed to convince two other people that I play with regularly to pick up pairs of the 598s.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #10 of 17
  The HD598s are the only nice headphones I've owned so far, so I may not be the most qualified to answer, but I find mine fantastic for CSGO. It almost feels like cheating sometimes when getting wallbangs, but I suppose you would have that with any nice set of cans. I've managed to convince two other people that I play with regularly to pick up pairs of the 598s.

+1

The 598 does have good positional data.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #11 of 17
  Isn't less bass better for positional audio though?

Guess having less bass makes it easier to hear what is going on.
The ATH-AD700(X) is a very popular FPS gaming headphone, and it very bass lite.
But the DT990 is liked for FPS gaming and it's loaded with bass.

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #12 of 17
HD598 is good for CS:GO, at least better than those generic gaming headsets.
AD series from Audio Technica has been recommendation for FPS gaming for a while now due to their abnormal large soundstage. However, their screeching highs are one of the things that I cannot stand, but it's my preference. Besides, their soundstage is actually quite artificial, and the imaging ability might not be the most accurate, but they are good for gaming regardless. 
Now which one is better? I actually don't know. It's very subjective. But I can say that if you can tolerate the highs and the wing-design, then the AD series seem to be a better deal.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #13 of 17
The general rule of thumb in games is that sharp sounds are used for position related events and bass sounds are used for wide area rumbles.

So it stands to reason that increasing the bass on the headset would reduce your positional quality. 

Nearly every footstep, especially in CS:GO, is really a sharp sound if you think about it :) As are nearly every gunshot sound.

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 17
  The general rule of thumb in games is that sharp sounds are used for position related events and bass sounds are used for wide area rumbles.

So it stands to reason that increasing the bass on the headset would reduce your positional quality. 

Nearly every footstep, especially in CS:GO, is really a sharp sound if you think about it :) As are nearly every gunshot sound.

Agreed. Nicely stated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back