Sennheiser HD 598 CS Closed Back
Dec 5, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #106 of 290
  OK, I'm gonna stop reading this thread for now :)
This headphone is so controversial, a few pages back the highs were bordering on "harsh" now they are "muted", the mids were "recessed", now they are "forward". I respect all your opinions, and I believe that's actually how everyone perceives them but I'll have to do my own listen and conclusion when they arrive.

Interesting post on reddit about positioning, and the effect it can have on sound:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/5g29m8/sennheiser_hd598cs_update/

Yeah I noticed! Repositioning made huge difference in comfort, especially my left ear no longer touching inner cup. It's very different than most headphones, but it actually works better! I believe this is how sennheiser made them to be placed. Though I still think pads should be a little thicker.

Regarding bad reviews we all have different ears, prefferences, perception of frequencies etc... There are three different levels of mids that's why people are confused. Most reviews I've read on amazon and ALL I've watched on YouTube  point to mids being SLIGHTLY recessed, and that's also my impression. Not so much to the point of wanting to return them. Mids are still very good, not on outstanding level of 598 opens, but still not bad by any means. On the other hand highs and terebles are so much better in closed edition. Some people may call them harsh, but I actually prefer them that way. Combined with close design it brings more fun to the music! Another huge advantage of closed design is the fact all even the smallest nuances in sounds are that much more noticable. It's like listening to music in high-end IEMs, but on over the ear design.

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #107 of 290
This is more or less how I hear the 598Cs. I made a crude but fairly accurate graph in ms paint, with one continuous swipe of the brush.

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #108 of 290
  I received my Black Friday specials (aka...598CS) today.  Plugged them into my Bimby/Jotunheim setup and snuck a quick listen then set the phones aside.  After about 4 hours I decided to sneak a listen.

Just to bring everyone up to speed I also bought the 598SE's during last year's Amazon Black Friday sale so I am "familiar" with this headphone's character, however I have resisted any comparisons this early into my CS's indoctrination.  I have read early impressions posted so far and I admit that my initial impressions are probably somewhat premature but they are what they are (grain of salt).

First off, I must stress the importance of correctly positioning these headphones on your noggin so that you can honestly assess these cans (equally important to the SE and the original tan/beige beasties).  It became very evident to me installing the CE's on my head, that you need to pull them forward so that the outer edges of your ears nest comfortably into the back of the ear cups.  In my opinion this sets the headphone correctly into position, not to mention maximizes the comfort level to 10/10.

Right off the bat the sound of the CS relative to the SE is definitely more bass and a mild roll off of the higher frequencies and perhaps a little less mid presence.  My assessment...initial gut reaction...I like how they sound.  Actually they sound as I expected them to sound based on what others have said.

Alright I must confess, I grabbed my SE's and did a brief comparative listen.  After volume adjusting (the SE's require a slight increase in volume to match the CS's) the CS's sound is a bit more forward and don't have the expansive soundstage that the SE's have.  The CS's are a bit more intimate sounding like you're sitting a few rows from the stage while the SE's have you sitting more towards the centre of the venue which gives you more of the ambient sound of the hall itself.

The other thing I did was walk the CS's around to my other setups and I noticed that different amplification has a pretty audible difference in how the these cans sound.  I left my Bimby/Jot setup and plugged them into my NAD integrated amp and I went "hello" that sounds pretty friggin nice.  On a roll I moved to my 2 channel speaker system amped by Arcam FMJ gear and again went "nice to meet you again" blimey awesome.  Then I decide to head to my computer system (Bifrost 4490/Vali 2/EH6922) and went "oh yeah baby" that's nice (I'm such a spoiled person to write these varying impressions).

I must admit I'm a half glass full type of guy, meaning that I am pretty optimistic/open-minded when it comes to headphones.  I mean let's face it, reputable headphone manufacturers are producing product that to them sound pretty damn good.  They hope we, they're customers agree and I must say that Sennheiser hasn't disappointed me over the years (dating back to my HD414's I bought in Germany in the late '60's).  The CS's sound darn good but these puppies are closed-back and they definitely sound different than the SE's, not to mention my HD650's.  I must admit I do like the "crunching" bass these cans produce on some tracks (disclaimer:  I'm not a basshead) but I believe my brain has been nurtured on the open-backed sound which sounds like "home" to me.

I also ordered (from Amazon) the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm (closed-back's) and they should arrive next week.  I'm really looking forward to hear how they compare to the CS's, which is a more relevant comparison than against the SE's.  I realize (and should know better) that I need to give the CS's a couple more days of settling in before I declare a "winner" in my abused ears and mind.  I'll give you more of my ramblings...later.

Alright I have given the CS's at least 60 hours of burn-in time and I definitely noticed a moderate change to their sound signature.  Before I go on I need to confess that my hearing is limited.  I don't have any real issues on the low end as I am able to hear down as low as 30Hz however at the other end of the spectrum I can only hear frequencies as high as 13kHz, nothing beyond that.

When comparing the CS's with only a few hours of run-in time versus 60 hours of play time these are differences that I noticed:
1.  The bass has mellowed somewhat, to me in a good way as it isn't quite as dominant as earlier on.  Still quiet deep and plentiful.
2.  The upper mids and treble have become clearer and definitely more dominant than upon initial listen.
3.  The midrange still sounds similarly recessed as before burn-in.

As stated in my initial comparison post, I am quite accustomed to the open-backed headphone sound and tend to prefer the soundstage that this type of headphone conveys.  I still agree with my analogy of the CS sound being a few rows from the front of the stage while the SE being more mid venue sounding.  The SE sound is quite a bit more expansive than the CS and due to it's more evident midrange and more natural transition into the treble region, to my ears, creates a larger live-like soundstage.

As for the CS, to me, it leans toward a "V" shape but I believe this is an intentionally designed signature.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with this sound whatsoever.  I like the added bass that the CS provides, although I have no issue with the lesser amount and quality of bass that I get from my SE's.  I consider the CS to be a fun headphone that provides me with yet another different sounding can.

My intention was to acquire a good sounding closed-back headphone that doesn't disturb my wife when we're in the same room while I'm listening to music.  I have asked my wife if she is able to hear music bleeding out of the CS while I'm listening to music at slightly louder than average volume and she happily signals that all is good.  I also have the Shure SRH840 closed-back headphone that I rarely use.  I decided to do a quick comparison of this headphone with the CS and discovered that the 840's are a much more balanced sounding headphone that has a superior midrange.  However, I have always found this headphone to sound boring and non-engaging when listening to music.  As a result it doesn't get much head time.  On the other hand the HD598CS definitely gets your attention and is a fun listen.

Later today I should be receiving the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm.  I am very curious to hear how it compares to the HD598CS.

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #109 of 290
Hey Gavin, 

Sounds good! I also got these and love them too! Even wrote a review of them vs. the B&O 2nd Gen H6. Feel free to check that out here and leave a comment there too. 

Yeah, for $99, it was impossible to pass up!

Hope all is well with you! 

Unbelievable value. My review and comparison is up on my blog

Hope all ok with you too.

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #110 of 290
Unbelievable value. My review and comparison is up on my blog gavinsgadgets today. Also in the menu, reviews, audio.

Hope all ok with you too.

Nice review! Thanks for sharing, @gavinfabl

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Dec 6, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #112 of 290
I take back what I said about repositioning. Though it helps sound wise, but not so much in terms of preventing ear touching. It helps, but just a little bit. What is the problem in my opinion is that the earpads are not thick enough. What's worse the clamp on these cans is quite strong. My ear is not touching inner cups for maybe 1-2hrs, after that the pads are so squeezed by the power of clamp that I start to feel the touching, which is irritating. I wonder if another pair would possibly have thicker pads or maybe just a little more space inside the cups? Maybe there are some minor differences in production... I'm thinking about returning these and get another pair.

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #113 of 290
You make very good points in your post, especially that we all have different hearing abilities. That probably explains the varying impressions we're reading about this headphone and for most other headphones/equipment. We all have physical hearing limitations due to age and listening habits. I recently performed a frequency sweep test wearing headphones and discovered that I'm as deaf as I suspected because I needed to increase the volume once I approached 13K and heard nothing beyond that level. Yet I like a detailed headphone that isn't excessively bassy.

The other thing that I noticed (and posted earlier in this thread) is that different equipment can have a pretty profound impact on how the same headphone sounds. Last night I found that the CS sounds terrific (to me) on my NAD C326BEE integrated amplifier. So much so that I can see these CS's residing there for a good amount of time.

Last point, and it's purely my stubborn belief that equipment, especially headphones benefit from a settling-in / burn-in period. PERIOD.

Sounded terrific on my NAD T751 too.. maybe these cans don't like NAD XD And the 598 cs really have a different sound depending on the source. You can notice more than others headphones i heard.

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #114 of 290
  I take back what I said about repositioning. Though it helps sound wise, but not so much in terms of preventing ear touching. It helps, but just a little bit. What is the problem in my opinion is that the earpads are not thick enough. What's worse the clamp on these cans is quite strong. My ear is not touching inner cups for maybe 1-2hrs, after that the pads are so squeezed by the power of clamp that I start to feel the touching, which is irritating. I wonder if another pair would possibly have thicker pads or maybe just a little more space inside the cups? Maybe there are some minor differences in production... I'm thinking about returning these and get another pair.

Try extending the headband more. Equally on both sides, to the point you barely feel pressure on top of your head.
Then wiggle the cups on the ears front / back until they sit comfortably. Or maybe you are more flap-eared and this won't help, but judging by the pictures the pads are deep enough, they look like HM 5 pads.

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #115 of 290

Try extending the headband more. Equally on both sides, to the point you barely feel pressure on top of your head.
Then wiggle the cups on the ears front / back until they sit comfortably. Or maybe you are more flap-eared and this won't help, but judging by the pictures the pads are deep enough, they look like HM 5 pads.

I've already checked practically all adjustments and the most touch resistant lasts me about 2hrs before it starts touching again. The clamp is too strong even for a closed design. Look at the pads in 569 (practically same headphones) they're much more volume I don't know why sennheiser put same quality pads, but thinner to 598Cs. My only hope is that clamp force will loosen in time :frowning2:

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #116 of 290
  I've already checked practically all adjustments and the most touch resistant lasts me about 2hrs before it starts touching again. The clamp is too strong even for a closed design. Look at the pads in 569 (practically same headphones) they're much more volume I don't know why sennheiser put same quality pads, but thinner to 598Cs. My only hope is that clamp force will loosen in time :frowning2:

Have you tried putting it on say a box that is larger than your head and leaving it on there when you aren't listening to them?  I loosened the clamping on my Somics that way.  The 598cs box is just a tad wider than my head.  It may be good box to try or maybe find something even wider.  Can't hurt to try.

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #117 of 290
Wow.  I have a large head and I don't think the 598 Cs clamp tightly at all.  Clamp is very similar to open 598 to me.  The flatter, smoother headband of the Cs makes them even more comfortable.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #118 of 290
  Alright I have given the CS's at least 60 hours of burn-in time and I definitely noticed a moderate change to their sound signature.  Before I go on I need to confess that my hearing is limited.  I don't have any real issues on the low end as I am able to hear down as low as 30Hz however at the other end of the spectrum I can only hear frequencies as high as 13kHz, nothing beyond that.

When comparing the CS's with only a few hours of run-in time versus 60 hours of play time these are differences that I noticed:
1.  The bass has mellowed somewhat, to me in a good way as it isn't quite as dominant as earlier on.  Still quiet deep and plentiful.
2.  The upper mids and treble have become clearer and definitely more dominant than upon initial listen.
3.  The midrange still sounds similarly recessed as before burn-in.

As stated in my initial comparison post, I am quite accustomed to the open-backed headphone sound and tend to prefer the soundstage that this type of headphone conveys.  I still agree with my analogy of the CS sound being a few rows from the front of the stage while the SE being more mid venue sounding.  The SE sound is quite a bit more expansive than the CS and due to it's more evident midrange and more natural transition into the treble region, to my ears, creates a larger live-like soundstage.

As for the CS, to me, it leans toward a "V" shape but I believe this is an intentionally designed signature.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with this sound whatsoever.  I like the added bass that the CS provides, although I have no issue with the lesser amount and quality of bass that I get from my SE's.  I consider the CS to be a fun headphone that provides me with yet another different sounding can.

My intention was to acquire a good sounding closed-back headphone that doesn't disturb my wife when we're in the same room while I'm listening to music.  I have asked my wife if she is able to hear music bleeding out of the CS while I'm listening to music at slightly louder than average volume and she happily signals that all is good.  I also have the Shure SRH840 closed-back headphone that I rarely use.  I decided to do a quick comparison of this headphone with the CS and discovered that the 840's are a much more balanced sounding headphone that has a superior midrange.  However, I have always found this headphone to sound boring and non-engaging when listening to music.  As a result it doesn't get much head time.  On the other hand the HD598CS definitely gets your attention and is a fun listen.

Later today I should be receiving the Beyerdynamic DT770 250 ohm.  I am very curious to hear how it compares to the HD598CS.

I received the Beyerdynamics DT770 250 ohm on Monday and left them burn-in for about a day and a half occasionally having brief listens throughout that time.  This morning I did a much more extensive listen to these headphones, as well as compare them to the Sennheiser HD598CS and Beyerdynamics DT1350 on all of my listening systems.

Right off the bat I must say the DT770's are an interesting, perhaps odd, sounding headphone.  They have quite an expansive soundstage which surprised me being that they are close-backed.  They actually reminded me of the HD598SE open-backed cans on certain tracks.  They had a shimmery treble that seemed to give a wide soundscape that at times could sound quite stunning and other times kind of annoying.  However what disappointed me was the lack of bass relative to the other 2 headphones that I compared them to.  I mean it was there but not to the level that I anticipated or had read about them having.  What was weird was when I connected them to my iMac system (Bifrost 4490/Vali2/EH6922) and these cans sounded like a completely different headphone, suddenly there was fairly deep bass that punched pretty good.  I decided to play some of the same tracks on my other systems that have Schiit Multibit DACs on them and the bass was noticeably thinner, almost odd sounding.

In comparison, the HD598CS bass was deeper and more pronounced regardless which system I played them on.  The HD598CS had a much narrower sonic image but it just sounded more enjoyable.  As a Beyerdynamics reference I pulled out my DT1350's (Tesla drivers) which are close-backed as well but they are ON EAR cans that I primarily use as on-the-go headphones with my FiiO X5ii.  The DT1350's aren't as expansive sounding as the 770's but they are much better sounding overall.  The bass goes deep and is tight.  The treble is there but not as shimmery/piercing.  All in all the DT1350 is a superior headphone, unfortunately it is not an over the ear can.

So my goal was to get a good sounding over the ear close-backed headphone that I can listen to at home.  My choices were the HD598CS or DT770 (250 ohm).  I have decided to keep the Sennheiser 598CS and I am planning on returning the Beyerdynamics DT770's.  Frankly I'm a little disappointed in how the DT770's sounded, I expected a better showing.  It's almost like they were "off" somehow, perhaps they are defective, I don't know.  I located a retailer in Toronto that sells the Beyerdynamics DT 770/880/990 line and apparently they have models that can be auditioned.  I'll have to stop in the next time I'm down that way and do some side by side comparative listens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back