Sennheiser HD 598 CS Closed Back
Nov 28, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #47 of 290
I grabbed a set of 598Cs when they were on offer recently (£89).

Most of my cans are open, so a decent closed set at that price was worth a punt.

Only given them about 3 hours constant listening so far.

Impressions so far;

1. ​For the price, they are impressive
  2. Not as comfortable as my HD650 - which you forget you're wearing... then again, very different price bracket
  3. The inline remote control / mic makes these an awesome contender for "proper headphones" you can take out and about
  4. Easy to drive, straight off my phone at a decent listening volume
  5. NOT bass canons (even though closed), which is good IMO.  Bass is there (closed), but not at the detriment to everything else 

For the price, if these were "your first (proper) headphones", I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #48 of 290
Like many, got a pair of 598 Cs for $99 on Black Friday at Amazon.  Being a huge fan of the open 598s, but always wanting a bit more bass, and a closed back design to occasionally use outdoors, I felt I had to take a chance on them at that price.  I'm glad I did.  Below are my initial impressions.

First of all, the look and feel.  I really like the way the Cs looked in photos online, and they are just as impressive in person, if not more so.  A very streamlined, minimalist, elegant look, which I like.  Like a woman's classic black dress that never goes out of style.  Headband is a huge improvement over open 598s -- streamlined, smoother, better aesthetics, and you don't feel it pressing on your head like sometimes can be the case with the open 598.  The fake suede earpads feel great and remain relatively cool during long listening (much cooler than leather or pleather pads).  The velvety ear cup covers feel and look very nice.  They do attract dust, but can be easily wiped off with a damp sponge or lint roller.  Overall, I'd say the Cs are even more comfortable than the open 598, primarily due to the the improved headband.  The box is also an improvement.  It is cardboard with foam cutout inside to hold the cans.  No fancy materials used here, but at least they made the box functional for storing the cans, instead of a throw-away.  Credit to Sennheiser for always looking to improve.

As far as sound goes, again I reiterate these are very early impressions, with maybe a few hours of listening, and no serious side by side comparisons done yet, so take these comments with a huge grain of salt.  The first thing I noticed when I started listening is that they have an overall somewhat bright tonality.  They sound bright but clean, clear, and not harsh.  The upper mids and treble seem to be somewhat accentuated compared with the open 598 which sound a bit more laid back.  Very first impression also lead me to believe that the warm low mids of the open 598 have been tuned closer to neutral in the Cs.  Bass is more pronounced than in the open 598, but still quite polite.  It does not get in the way of the rest of the sound spectrum.  Initially, I thought the bass sounded a bit loose, but that seems to have improved over a few hours of listening.  Bass is noticeably tighter now with greater impact.  BTW, they seem to respond well to EQing more bass in.  I did a quick bass frequency sweep on youtube (nothing scientific), and I could hear bass down to 20 Hz, albeit at a very low level.  Bass level was much more pronounced at 40-50 Hz, and even more so by 100 Hz. (Obviously).  My low bass test tracks are "Laffy Taffy" by D4L and "Dark Horse" by Katy Perry.  The Cs pass IMO.  Both tracks had sufficient amount of low bass represented IMO.  That said, these still retain a very balanced overall sound, similar to the open 598, but with a bit more bass and treble.  If you're looking for M50x level of deep bass and bass quantity, then look elsewhere.  Mid-upper treble is more present as well on these than open 598.  Soundstage is obviously not as big as the open 598s, but they do have a pretty good soundstage for a closed back can.  I think the angled drivers help.  Instrument separation isn't as good.  Sometimes the music can sound a bit congested, and certain backgrounds sounds, especially in the mids, can sound somewhat muted/harder to hear.  Again, we're comparing to the open 598s that have some really excellent soundstage and instrument separation.  It's all relative.  Although the Cs sound very good overall, staying true to the balanced sound signature of the original 598, I believe they don't sound quite as refined.  Meaning, they sound a bit less accurate and realistic, and less transparent and detailed.  It's like going from 598 to 650.  You can immediately hear a clearer, more accurate, more realistic, and more refined sound.  Now the jump between Cs and 598 isn't that great like it is going from 598 to 650.  It's quite subtle actually and I think some may not even notice it.  I think this has to do with the different drivers of the Cs vs the 598 (assuming they're different based on the specs).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the purchase.  Love the way they look, feel, and fit.  The closed design has addressed my (and many others') biggest complaint with the open 598 - a bit lacking in the bass.  These seem to get the bass just about right while still maintaining an overall balanced response.  They lack the incredible soundstage, detail, and instrument separation of the open 598, but are pretty good in those areas in their own right.  Some of that had to be sacrificed to achieve more bass in a closed design.  I do personally think the open 598 are much better sounding, but the Cs sound quite good as well.  I will have to do a lot more listening and comparing to see if I'll be keeping these or ultimately going to something else for my closed back, out and about can.  Like anyone, I reserve the right to change my opinions over time, as I become more familiar with the Cs.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #50 of 290
  Like many, got a pair of 598 Cs for $99 on Black Friday at Amazon.  Being a huge fan of the open 598s, but always wanting a bit more bass, and a closed back design to occasionally use outdoors, I felt I had to take a chance on them at that price.  I'm glad I did.  Below are my initial impressions.

First of all, the look and feel.  I really like the way the Cs looked in photos online, and they are just as impressive in person, if not more so.  A very streamlined, minimalist, elegant look, which I like.  Like a woman's classic black dress that never goes out of style.  Headband is a huge improvement over open 598s -- streamlined, smoother, better aesthetics, and you don't feel it pressing on your head like sometimes can be the case with the open 598.  The fake suede earpads feel great and remain relatively cool during long listening (much cooler than leather or pleather pads).  The velvety ear cup covers feel and look very nice.  They do attract dust, but can be easily wiped off with a damp sponge or lint roller.  Overall, I'd say the Cs are even more comfortable than the open 598, primarily due to the the improved headband.  The box is also an improvement.  It is cardboard with foam cutout inside to hold the cans.  No fancy materials used here, but at least they made the box functional for storing the cans, instead of a throw-away.  Credit to Sennheiser for always looking to improve.

As far as sound goes, again I reiterate these are very early impressions, with maybe a few hours of listening, and no serious side by side comparisons done yet, so take these comments with a huge grain of salt.  The first thing I noticed when I started listening is that they have an overall somewhat bright tonality.  They sound bright but clean, clear, and not harsh.  The upper mids and treble seem to be somewhat accentuated compared with the open 598 which sound a bit more laid back.  Very first impression also lead me to believe that the warm low mids of the open 598 have been tuned closer to neutral in the Cs.  Bass is more pronounced than in the open 598, but still quite polite.  It does not get in the way of the rest of the sound spectrum.  Initially, I thought the bass sounded a bit loose, but that seems to have improved over a few hours of listening.  Bass is noticeably tighter now with greater impact.  BTW, they seem to respond well to EQing more bass in.  I did a quick bass frequency sweep on youtube (nothing scientific), and I could hear bass down to 20 Hz, albeit at a very low level.  Bass level was much more pronounced at 40-50 Hz, and even more so by 100 Hz. (Obviously).  My low bass test tracks are "Laffy Taffy" by D4L and "Dark Horse" by Katy Perry.  The Cs pass IMO.  Both tracks had sufficient amount of low bass represented IMO.  That said, these still retain a very balanced overall sound, similar to the open 598, but with a bit more bass and treble.  If you're looking for M50x level of deep bass and bass quantity, then look elsewhere.  Mid-upper treble is more present as well on these than open 598.  Soundstage is obviously not as big as the open 598s, but they do have a pretty good soundstage for a closed back can.  I think the angled drivers help.  Instrument separation isn't as good.  Sometimes the music can sound a bit congested, and certain backgrounds sounds, especially in the mids, can sound somewhat muted/harder to hear.  Again, we're comparing to the open 598s that have some really excellent soundstage and instrument separation.  It's all relative.  Although the Cs sound very good overall, staying true to the balanced sound signature of the original 598, I believe they don't sound quite as refined.  Meaning, they sound a bit less accurate and realistic, and less transparent and detailed.  It's like going from 598 to 650.  You can immediately hear a clearer, more accurate, more realistic, and more refined sound.  Now the jump between Cs and 598 isn't that great like it is going from 598 to 650.  It's quite subtle actually and I think some may not even notice it.  I think this has to do with the different drivers of the Cs vs the 598 (assuming they're different based on the specs).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the purchase.  Love the way they look, feel, and fit.  The closed design has addressed my (and many others') biggest complaint with the open 598 - a bit lacking in the bass.  These seem to get the bass just about right while still maintaining an overall balanced response.  They lack the incredible soundstage, detail, and instrument separation of the open 598, but are pretty good in those areas in their own right.  Some of that had to be sacrificed to achieve more bass in a closed design.  I do personally think the open 598 are much better sounding, but the Cs sound quite good as well.  I will have to do a lot more listening and comparing to see if I'll be keeping these or ultimately going to something else for my closed back, out and about can.  Like anyone, I reserve the right to change my opinions over time, as I become more familiar with the Cs.

LL, 

This was really great review! You really hit on a lot of the same points I did in my review of the Cs vs. the B&O 2nd Gen H6. Things you pointed out like the angled speaker drivers helping the soundstage, the improved headband and ear cup padding, better comfort and added bass (but still doesn't overshadow the other frequencies) vs. the 598/598 SE, etc were RIGHT on target! In only a SMALL handful of songs I had to EQ the bass down a little, but we're talking less than prob 1/4% of my music. lol

Some of the other stuff you mentioned, which you did say SHOULD be taken with a "huge grain of salt", I did not however agree with at all were: 1) Poor instrument separation 2) Not the best soundstage 3) Music sounding congested 4) background sounds hard to hear 5) lack of detail. 

I initially thought I wasn't getting the same detail and instrument sound separation as my H6s or my former AKG K550 too. But I think it's a matter of distraction. The extra space allowed by the way the oval-shaped ear cups are made (as well as the angled speaker driver) allows for the sound to really BREATHE so it's allowed to linger around your ears so you can enjoy it for an extra moment or two more. Kinda like you're swimmin' in it, which I like. But that "distraction" doesn't change the fact that the detail & clarity ARE there. You may have to listen for it a bit more carefully, but for me, the overall enjoyment factor is higher because of that extra cup space. 

I feel the soundstage on these is just as great as any other closed-back. It might be true that the open-back 598/598 SE has better soundstage, but I would say at best only by a little. I'd compared the closed-back AKG K553 (which have the SAME sound signature as the K550) vs. the 598 SE earlier this year, and I recall the soundstage on the AKG seeming JUST as wide as the 598 SE's. So I think the angled speakers of the Cs give them a real advantage in offering an improved soundstage. 

I didn't think the music sounded congested at all, neither did I think the background sounds were difficult to hear either. I wonder, what are you using as your source player? Is there a premium amp or amp/DAC device in the mix? Are you playing mp3s or Hi-Res music? Maybe you just need to give them more time as I DID do a good 24 hour burn-in with mine before evaluating them. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #51 of 290
Originally Posted by LazyListener /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As far as sound goes, again I reiterate these are very early impressions, with maybe a few hours of listening, and no serious side by side comparisons done yet, so take these comments with a huge grain of salt.  The first thing I noticed when I started listening is that they have an overall somewhat bright tonality.  They sound bright but clean, clear, and not harsh.  The upper mids and treble seem to be somewhat accentuated compared with the open 598 which sound a bit more laid back.  Very first impression also lead me to believe that the warm low mids of the open 598 have been tuned closer to neutral in the Cs.

Good comprehensive review, but bad news for me, I'm sensitive to brightness, I'm already EQ-ing the upper mids / highs in the 598 SE, if the CS is even brighter I will have to lower even more. Let's hope it will calm down with burn in. Mine is still on the way.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #52 of 290

LL, 

Some of the other stuff you mentioned, which you did say SHOULD be taken with a "huge grain of salt", I did not however agree with at all were: 1) Poor instrument separation 2) Not the best soundstage 3) Music sounding congested 4) background sounds hard to hear 5) lack of detail.   
I didn't think the music sounded congested at all, neither did I think the background sounds were difficult to hear either. I wonder, what are you using as your source player? Is there a premium amp or amp/DAC device in the mix? Are you playing mp3s or Hi-Res music? Maybe you just need to give them more time as I DID do a good 24 hour burn-in with mine before evaluating them. 

For now, I stand by my comments.  However, like I said, it's all relative to the open 598.  The Cs do not have poor instrument separation, just not as good as open 598.  The soundstage is not as big.  The music can sound congested at times (some songs), again relative to open 598.  Background sounds are more difficult to hear at certain frequencies than open 598.  They're not as detailed and transparent as open 598.  But like I said, they're pretty good in their own right.  I will be doing more in depth comparisons over the next 2-3 weeks so I will post here either confirming my initial impressions or updating them.

I've used various source equipment including straight from iphone 6, Fiio e10k, and Dragonfly v. 1.2.  All stuff I'm very familiar with having used it with my open 598 for nearly a year now.  Source files are Spotify 320 Kbps ogg vorbis.  So I'm not using anything different with the Cs than with the open 598.  The comparisons between the 2 cans are with "all else being equal" as far as source equipment and files go.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #53 of 290

Good comprehensive review, but bad news for me, I'm sensitive to brightness, I'm already EQ-ing the upper mids / highs in the 598 SE, if the CS is even brighter I will have to lower even more. Let's hope it will calm down with burn in. Mine is still on the way.

I think I may be sensitive to brightness, too.  I always seem to prefer a warmer, fuller sound.  The good news is that the Cs are not too bright or harsh sounding at all.

Good point about burn in.  I've noticed on some other cans, the bass tightens up and the treble calms down just a bit, after several hours.  But usually that just a tiny bit of sharpness or edginess to the treble that tends to smooth out with burn in.  It doesn't change a bright sounding can into a neutral sounding one.

I'll post here if further use changes the perceived sound in any way.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #54 of 290
  For now, I stand by my comments.  However, like I said, it's all relative to the open 598.  The Cs do not have poor instrument separation, just not as good as open 598.  The soundstage is not as big.  The music can sound congested at times (some songs), again relative to open 598.  Background sounds are more difficult to hear at certain frequencies than open 598.  They're not as detailed and transparent as open 598.  But like I said, they're pretty good in their own right.  I will be doing more in depth comparisons over the next 2-3 weeks so I will post here either confirming my initial impressions or updating them.

I've used various source equipment including straight from iphone 6, Fiio e10k, and Dragonfly v. 1.2.  All stuff I'm very familiar with having used it with my open 598 for nearly a year now.  Source files are Spotify 320 Kbps ogg vorbis.  So I'm not using anything different with the Cs than with the open 598.  The comparisons between the 2 cans are with "all else being equal" as far as source equipment and files go.

Ok that's cool. Hopefully after some time you will like them more. 

Cool on the equipment too. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #55 of 290
I've been using the HD598cs for a couple of days now. I don't have the HD598, but I do have the HD595 which is incredibly close. To me I would agree that these do lose a bit of what I liked about the HD595 with the transition to a closed design, but overall I prefer the sound to my M50. I also feel that they aren't quite as comfortable, though they may loosen up over time since I've only had them for a couple of days at this point. For $100 I am certainly not disappointed in these, and they definitely scratch the itch that I've had to use my HD595 at work. My plan now is to use the HD595 at home, the HD598cs at work, and my ATH-M50 when traveling. The M50 is definitely more durable and travel friendly. 

Overall I would classify the difference between these three sets in terms of aggressiveness. If I were to set the HD595 at a 0 on the scale, I would probably put the HD598cs at a 2, and the M50 at a 5. To me this makes the HD598cs slightly more versatile than the other two, but makes it more of a jack of all trades and master of none. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #56 of 290
I have now burnt my 598 cs in with over 100 hours of music. Will do a comparison between these and the open back 598's.

They have improved over the hours FTW. And they are excellent and a superb Black Friday purchase.

Nov 30, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #57 of 290
Have had my 598 cs for a few days now. Got them for $99 on Black Friday. My God they punch way above their price point. Will be keeping these for sure. My favorite closed headphones are the Shure 1540's. And while these aren't built as well, they're just as comfortable and hold their own sound wise, too. They're very balanced with a little warmness to them and they have clear highs with no chance of sibilance. I love them. They were a steal. Laugh all you want, but unamped, they sound better to me than the crazy expensive Bowers and Wilkins P9's. they're not as resolving or built as well, but they're more comfortable and acoustically balanced for nearly a tenth of the cost. I will be able to compare them to the 599's by this weekend.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #58 of 290
They sound better on bad sources, if you paire them with a good amp and good source files you will notice their flaws. On the opposite, on ipod they sound better than most highest price headphones..

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #59 of 290
I have now burnt my 598 cs in with over 100 hours of music. Will do a comparison between these and the open back 598's.

They have improved over the hours FTW. And they are excellent and a superb Black Friday purchase.

Hey Gavin, 

Sounds good! I also got these and love them too! Even wrote a review of them vs. the B&O 2nd Gen H6. Feel free to check that out here and leave a comment there too. 

Yeah, for $99, it was impossible to pass up!

Hope all is well with you! 

Dec 1, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #60 of 290
My initial impressions. So far these didn't wowed me or maybe they wowed me on some aspects and dissapointed in others. Vocals and highs are amazing, famous (or for some infamous) sennheiser's sound signature resolution is there, the punchy bass is there that's the first sennheiser cans I've heard with so much bass. They sound warm yet detailed. Ergonomic wise very comfortable, in my opinion these are the best looking in 5xx series, classic beauty. On the other hand I'm beginning to understand why there's so many negative reviews on amazon. Some sounds are slightly recessed, not sure exactly what's going on some tracks sound amazing (newest album by The Weekend and Daft Punk, Shawn Mendes guitar songs), others sound like mids are slightly muffled (Hurts albmus), though it's too early to make definite statement. Maybe they open up a bit in time?

Weakest aspects so far:
1. Yeah they sound warm, detailed, bassy and fun, but it's at the cost of some recessed frequency/ies. I will investigate on that later.
2. Soundstage. Enough for closed ones, but if your ears are adapted to super wide soundstage then it can be a little hard gettng used to these. I feel like the soundstage is ok for closed cans but at suggested 229 euros I expected a little more.
3. Separation. It's ok when listening to slower more intimate tracks. Lacks on mids, especially in uptempo pop music, which are recessed therefore making it even more difficult for good separation in that area.
4. Isolation. C'omon it's a joke they don't isolate. Ok, maybe they isolate more than 598 open edition, but still this is no way the isolation I was expecting even for passive isolating cans. In fact they leak  more than my PX100-II open cans, which I thought was loud already. Not a huge deal though as this is a secondary feature to me. Asked my family member to wear these did some testing and at 60-70% volume I could hear them being super loud from 1-2meters and still very audible from 5meters. If you commute in same room then there's no way others won't hear what are you listening to.

I bought them without knowing sennheiser advertise as portable headphones. It was a little more obvious when I received the package with big fat "for smartphones & tablets" on the box. I got them as my primary home cans, so that quote on the box put me off a little bit and I'm not sure if they're good enough for primary home use. For now I suspect these are not entry level high-end universal cans, but rather premium portable headphones, yet in my opinion these are too big for portable use and like I said I got them as my primary home cans. Wonder if Momentum 1/2 would be better as portable cans, and 598SE for home use, then again those were not for 99 euros/$ black friday deal. That's it for now. Definetly need more testing on my ears :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back