Sennheiser HD 595 ???????
Jun 20, 2010 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

stevenk0630

New Head-Fier
So I was going to get either Bose noise canceling  headphones or Beats by dre. But I've seen many comments that these headphones are overpriced compare to the quality of sound. And I heard that Sennheiser HD 595 is much better than these headphones in regarding the price range. I'm planning to get a nice pair of headphones (less than $300) and I usually listen various kinds of music. I want to use headphones with my ipod or my macbook. But it seems like Sennheiser HD 595 requires amp for ipod. What is the difference in quality with or without amp? I thought bose headphones have good sound but I guess not.
Is it going to be disadvantageous if I get Sennheiser HD 595 for my ipod?...I'm frustrated..HelP!

P.S. If I were to get an amp, how much would it cost?

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 11
There are many nice headphones under $300 (including the 595's) that would be better alternatives to bose or monster.  Would you prefer closed-back or open headphones?  You could drive the 595's with an iPod, but the question is if it would do it well enough for you, which you will have to decide on, though the 595's are more home phones and not portable.  As for headphone amps, those range from the $25 Fiio 5 to other several hundred dollar ones.  What most people here would recommend is maybe a cmoy amp, but get the headphones and give them some time before you buy an amp.  People here will make you feel like you absolutely need an amp when you may be happy without one.

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 11
Thank you for reply.
I have other questions to ask.
How would you compare if you were to compare Bose, Monster and Sennheiser HD595 (without an amp)?
I'm new to open headphones so I don't know what to get for an amp.
I'm an art major student..so I spend a lot of time in studio..I need good quality sound.
If you know closed headphones better than moster or bose, would you let me know?
And which website would you recommend to look amp?

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 11
I love my 595's they are great. I use my Senns 595 for gaming and the occational music and movies. I use it with my Astro Mixamp and paired it with my FiiO E7. Soundstage on headphone is huge with an amp it is even bigger. You might not know this but this can can be powered by most audio source due to it's low impadance. Question you need to ask yourself is how am I going to use this or what source is the audio coming from i.e laptop,xbox,vinyl etc....If laptop is your answer how good is your soundcard? If you are using this with a mp3 player well you might invest on a FiiO E5 or E7.

As far as close and open cans, My PC350 that I got as a present is a close headset they are great for gaming BUT it has it's downside, lack of bass (which can be fix using an amp), since it's the most noise canceling headset I own when you talk you can hear you self talk, like your on an airplane and your ear hasn't popped. Senns595 IO are the most balanced headset in the under 200 dollar price range.

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #6 of 11
The 80 ohm version is the old version, the new version is 50 ohm on both the HD555 and HD595. The mod isn't really necessary.
You don't really need an amp with those headphones.

Keep in mind that they're completely open. And that they don't have hyped bass / treble, i.e. the mids will stick out if you're used to the former.

Jun 20, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 11
like trysaeder said, get the hd 555s and mod them to become 595s (that is, take out the foam behind the speakers, they retard air and the sound and are the only real difference between 555s and 595s) here is a good tutorial for that http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/475511/hd555-foam-mod-video

555s are under 100$ so you save quite a bit

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
The 80 ohm version is the old version, the new version is 50 ohm on both the HD555 and HD595. The mod isn't really necessary.
You don't really need an amp with those headphones.

Keep in mind that they're completely open. And that they don't have hyped bass / treble, i.e. the mids will stick out if you're used to the former.

Actually the old version was 120 ohms. Also, not sure what you mean by "The mod isn't really necessary". Do you mean there's not much change in the sound?

Otherwise you're quite right in your description of the sound, which is remarkably un-hyped, as well as that you don't need an amp with them.

Jun 24, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #10 of 11
I did not know the HD555s changed impedance over the years. When did all of this happen. I bought mine apox. 7 years ago. I used them for a long time, got into my speakers system.

(NAD c160, restored NAD 2255 non power envelope poweramp... the last 3020 based amp they made, PC built exclusively for silence, but also the power to do my CAD work, storage, and game, and PSB Alpha Bs for nearfield, and PSB towers for HT use, along with a selection of nearfield studio monitors, vintage sansui tuner and my MHDT DACs as well an external tube buffer for my smaller MHDT, as my other is newer with it's own tubed output stage.)

Anyway, for personal reasons, I needed to move the hub of my work/media into another room, use a laptop for work and remoting into my other PC, and put together a 2nd system for use with headphones (external usb s/pdif from the laptop, playing files over the network), thus the addiction began, and now I own a variety of midrange to upper midrange (Beyer DT880s are probably my best, but I have some good closed backs too plus a pair of Grado sr325s, the originals).

I dusted off the HD555s one day and, knowing about the mods, I went ahead and removed the foam, along with a grillecloth just behind the wire mesh. I have not removed the plastic grille because it allows so much airflow that removing it would not do much. I noticed that most of the assembly is plastic click locks/tabs, and metal tabs bent to hold. I had to add mass to the drivers with blue-tac and such, because these really do move a ton of air, and that foam you remove protects the drivers from hitting the inside grille. The drivers state 55 ohms, so I am assuming mine are the higher impedance; 55 X 2 + overhead = 120ohm versions? This has me curious because I was not aware the HD555 had multiple versions over the years.

Everyone is correct, they require very little power, the mods, I did at work on my lunch hour, and finished up at home, since I had to adjust the cable and repair some wear on the pads, all of that needed a good locktite adhesive. I use something that sets like a rubber cement, but seems far stronger and very useful due to the speed it sets at. I would never use superglue (resin) for anything like this, could hurt the plastic and such, and it oxidizes too much to hold well in this type of repair. If you get new ones, you are looking at an hour or two of very easy work. It is one of the easiest mods that gives the most results out of almost any headphone out there. If you do it right and work at it, they will surpass stock 595s, and come very close to HD600s. The only thing holding them back is all the plastic locks and tabs, because the HD555 was not designed to be an HD600, obviously, so the driver assembly is going to be the biggest difference.

After spending a lot of time listening to my other phones, I pulled out the HD555s and did the mods, which is strange because it took me a long time to actually go back to them and give them a shot. I was into this hobby and my interests were in my other headphones. I was blown away. These things just came to life. They have their flaws, but damn they are fun to listen to. I am not going to replace my DT880s with these as a critical listening phone, but I put the Grados away, as those needed a lot of work to sound right and these can plug into almost anything. They are the open version of something like an m50, essentially a damn good phone for a damn good price. The 595s are not bad at all, and supassing them makes your modded HD555s nothing to laugh at. People will dump on the 555/595, but people dump on almost every headphone. Look at the HD800: one of the best dynamic headphones made, but they certainly aren't for everyone (If could afford it, I would have a pair of Beyer T1s on my ears right now).

Seeing as there are relatively few full sized cans that can be driven by a little mp3 player, I would place the 555s high on my list to recommend if you plan to do any kind of listening from a source and no dedicated headphone amp. Even good portable headphone amps are not meant to drive the big boys, but just improve the cans that can already be driven by the portable player.

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #11 of 11
My 595s sound great (although they are my first real pair of cans, so don't trust me too much) and can be powered by my laptop or even my iPod Classic just fine, but I was interested in amps so I got one of the $30AUD tube amp kits to see what it was like. Maybe it's just the tubes, no matter how cheap they are, but the soundstage opened up and the sound was warm and delicious like syrup in milk. So yeah, for best results try to get hold of a cheap amp (or build one, it's not as ahrd as you think) but they work just fine on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back