Sennheiser HD-595 I am tempted.....
Sep 2, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #16 of 116
I had assumed this thread was a joke, seeing as these are much discussed headphones.

Just to be, apparently, the lone naysayer, I think the 595s are unremarkable in their price range -- a bit muddy, bass-lite, and mediocre soundstage at best.

Sep 2, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #17 of 116
[Brag]

They are even better when you get them new for 140 shipped
smily_headphones1.gif

[/Brag]

Sep 2, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #18 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I had assumed this thread was a joke, seeing as these are much discussed headphones.

Sorry, I don't visit the headphone forum very often. I don't see why you assumed this thread was a "joke" unless, that is, you've got a very "alternative" sense of humour
confused.gif

Maybe they have been discussed in other threads.... so what.... so have many other 'phones (time and time again)

Just to assure you this thread is "no joke" I'm seriously considering buying a pair and would like to hear from other people who have tried them.

Mike.

PS: Q: What do you call a woman with a screwdriver in one hand, a knife
in the other, a pair of scissors between the toes on her left
foot, and a corkscrew between the toes on her right foot?

A: Swiss Army wife

That's a "joke"
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #19 of 116
Mike,

The HD595 are what I consider a hybrid. They are not as analytical and detailed as the HD600/650, and dont sound as upfront and in your face like Grados. They sort of offer a little from both sides, while still providing a full rich sound you would expect from a Sennheiser. What I like a lot about them is the mids, as they're very present, but at the same time balances with the rest of the spectrum very well. With the addition of a tube amp, it sounds full and lucious, and sort of puts you into this musical grove that I sometimes find missing from my more laid back HD600 and HD650.

Give them a try, as I find them to be quite enjoyable IMO. Sometimes when I'm bored of Grados and Sennheisers, these headphones gets the most listening time.

Sep 2, 2005 at 9:07 PM Post #20 of 116
Hi PinkFloyd!
Yes, I've tried the HD-595 a little. The sound was very good to me, but they were not too detailed. However it had non-stock (cardas) cable and it was hooked up with an amp. I am not an expert, searching myself for cans to listen to PINK FLOYD
blink.gif
(yes!, check my threads on "Best headphone for classical piano music", and "DOWNMIXING ... from a SACD"). and classical music. When I said "the classical piano music" I've also emphasized that I was interested in Pink Floyd music as well. Those guys are really experts.

The HeadRoom calls the HD-595 BRILLIANT and WORLD CLASS headphones. They place it at/around the top along with Sennheiser HD-650 and Beyerdynamic DT-880! The only complaint they have about it, that its "highs are too grainy".

See You on "The HD-595
blink.gif
Side of the Moon"

Adam

Sep 3, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #22 of 116
They're a great all around headphone. One of the most comfortable cans I've worn. The soundstage is excellent for movies and gaming. It truly excels in the mids, very natural and involving. The bass is deep, but lacks impact. If the bass had more punch and treble had a bit more sparkle, it'd be the perfect can.

Sep 3, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #23 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Sorry, I don't visit the headphone forum very often. I don't see why you assumed this thread was a "joke" unless, that is, you've got a very "alternative" sense of humour
confused.gif

Maybe they have been discussed in other threads.... so what.... so have many other 'phones (time and time again)

Just to assure you this thread is "no joke" I'm seriously considering buying a pair and would like to hear from other people who have tried them.

Mike.

I thought it was joke because it was very unusual to see a 5000+ post-count member ask if anyone has heard a fairly common headphone that is often talked about.

Sep 3, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #24 of 116
Since you like the AKG 501, don't you wanna save up for the AKG 701?
evil_smiley.gif

I still use the HD 595 daily but not for cds anymore. The HD 650 pretty much steps all over the HD 595. I don't find the HD 595 to be that upfront compared to the HD 650.

But compared to all my other headphones (SR-60, AKG 501, hd 650), none
can'tbeat the HD 595 in terms of DVD and games. Theres something special about the soundstage that makes it more realistic in these usages.

Sep 3, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #25 of 116
I own a pair of 595s, and I am completely satisfied with my purchase. Everything I throw at them sounds wonderful, I especially love strings/femal vocals.

The midrange is definately prominent, and the treble is perfectly refined. I think they balanced the upper ranges perfectly, there is nothing that stands out too much. Everything just meshes.

On the bass side, I can't really complain either. The impact isn't all there like many have said, but I think this is a good thing. I would much rather have bass that is in the background, not overpowering. I find it makes listening to certain genres a lot easier (you can focus on other things). I used to be a basshead, but these headphones changes that. I like the subtle bass I find in the 595s.

The soundstage is impressive, to say the least. When I put the 595s on, I am transported to the artists head, sitting in the first rows of their auditorium. Singers are right in front of you, directing all their vocal love in your area. I can pinpoint where everything is supposed to be on a stage, something I can't do with any speaker setup I have listened to.

I briefly auditioned a pair of 650s, and I noticed that they had more control in all areas. I explain it like this: with 595s you hear the strings on a guitar reverberating, with 650s you hear the pick or fingernails gracing the strings as well as the removal of that pick then the reverberating. I cannot justify the price difference with 650s though, the audio just isn't that much better especially considering you NEED an amp with the 650s.

All in all the 595s are a perfect pair of headphones that don't _require_ an amp and are decently priced. I use these phones everywhere: getting ready in the morning, when cooking, at work and at home... They rarely leave my skull.

Their main drawback? Waiting for them to burn in. I noticed a dramatic difference in their signature as they burned in. I was not liking their sound when I first gave them a listen, but everything got so much warmer as time went on. I now have 200+ hours on them, if not more. Everyday they get better!

This was a long post, but the 595s are simply great!

Sep 3, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #26 of 116
ok now its my turn. Comparing hd595 to hd600 , they are two completely different creature that makes norah jones sounds like two different person. With the hd600 , her vocals are more relaxed , seducive ,sensual. With the hd595 her vocals are more emotional , more uptight, more energised , more live. Hd595 has a kind of bass which is perfect to my ears better than hd600/hd650. Not so deep , light hearted and it doesn't overcloud the rest of the sound. Hd600 makes me fall asleep that the store owner had to wake me up but not the hd595.

Hd650 is better techincally ( like what the jink describe) but then hd595 clicks better to my ears just like any one who prefers a lesser can to a supposedly better one for some reasons. I don't like deep bass , i like the bass to be light , abit punchy and accurate. Hd650's bass is deeper.

I think sennheiser should make their flag model based on hd595 sound rather than the hd6xx family

Pinkfloyd i got a impression of you preferring hd600 to hd650 but do give hd595 a try.

Do a search on sunbrye 's review , its a very fair one

Sep 3, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #27 of 116
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Since you like the AKG 501, don't you wanna save up for the AKG 701?
evil_smiley.gif

I still use the HD 595 daily but not for cds anymore. The HD 650 pretty much steps all over the HD 595. I don't find the HD 595 to be that upfront compared to the HD 650.

But compared to all my other headphones (SR-60, AKG 501, hd 650), none
can'tbeat the HD 595 in terms of DVD and games. Theres something special about the soundstage that makes it more realistic in these usages.

Although, the K601, the new AKG that is supposed to compete the HD595, is just 92 dB / mW efficient at 120 ohm. 2 dB less than the K501. The HD595 is great sounding even out of a PCDP. That's no denying that it can do much more
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #29 of 116
Damn you people...now I have get one as soon I have the money!
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back