Sennheiser HD 590 Appreciation Thread
Apr 7, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #31 of 54
Today I've received new earpads and a new foam headband pad for my HD 590. Even though my HD 590 is almost 12 years old, I still love it. When talking about comfort, my HD 598 is no match for it. The only pair of headphones I still secretly want, is the HD 600.

Apr 26, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #32 of 54
  Today I've received new earpads and a new foam headband pad for my HD 590. Even though my HD 590 is almost 12 years old, I still love it. When talking about comfort, my HD 598 is no match for it. The only pair of headphones I still secretly want, is the HD 600.

Just got my old 590's out from behind the shelf where they've been sadly neglected.
Being my gaming phones for over a decade they got pretty ripe with the pads collapsed and "crispy"

New pads and headband ordered.

Anyone know of any other bits of TLC I can give these?
Thinking maybe the stock cable could be replaced but not sure if it's going to make a difference.

Other than that I was thinking maybe the drivers could need cleaning or would canned air be enough?

May 7, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #33 of 54
Where are you guys finding the headband pad?  I just ordered ear pads and foam from an ebay seller but I'm only finding the headband via UK sellers (and that is cost prohibitive).

My 590's have been my gaming headphones since Dec 2004 and crispy is a good description of the ear pads :)   

Completely compressed is an accurate description of the headband pad.

Foam has deteriorated in one of the earpieces which really is what drove me to start looking for replacement parts.

I love these things. I've gone off the headphone deep end since then but I really want to keep these in service for my gaming. Some marathon racing sessions would suffer without them!

May 8, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #34 of 54
Where are you guys finding the headband pad?  I just ordered ear pads and foam from an ebay seller but I'm only finding the headband via UK sellers (and that is cost prohibitive).

My 590's have been my gaming headphones since Dec 2004 and crispy is a good description of the ear pads :)   

Completely compressed is an accurate description of the headband pad.

Foam has deteriorated in one of the earpieces which really is what drove me to start looking for replacement parts.

I love these things. I've gone off the headphone deep end since then but I really want to keep these in service for my gaming. Some marathon racing sessions would suffer without them!

Here you go
http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/hifi-tv-headphones/hd-590

May 27, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #35 of 54
Thanks oamadeuso, that was the site I'd found, unfortunately shipping and exchange rate make it a little out of reach. Sadly the ebay cushions I received are pleather, didn't really think that through, I LOVE the original velour (when not crusty).....

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #36 of 54
  Thanks oamadeuso, that was the site I'd found, unfortunately shipping and exchange rate make it a little out of reach. Sadly the ebay cushions I received are pleather, didn't really think that through, I LOVE the original velour (when not crusty).....

I own a pair of Sennheiser HD590's as well and about a month ago I ordered from B&H Camera the original ear pads and foam disc inserts (they come together as a package.) Here's the link to the page where you can order:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=sennheiser+hd590&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

B&H has the best return policy I know of, no questions asked and they are an authorized dealer for Sennheiser.

Best of luck!

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #38 of 54
I just looked up the HD590 and I have to say that is the ugliest pair of headphones I have seen.  I'm sure they sound good though.

Jun 16, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #40 of 54
Lol eye of the beholder. I think they look great however. And my opinion beats yours.

Wrong, it is an undisputed fact that those are the ugliest headphones. I'm sorry, but that's why Sennheiser discontinued these. :p

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #41 of 54
Wrong, it is an undisputed fact that those are the ugliest headphones. I'm sorry, but that's why Sennheiser discontinued these. :p

I will grant you that my current pair would only appeal to fans of crusty velour and compressed headbands. That and ad hoc wire tie suspended zalman mics.

All kidding aside, I actually really like the busy mesh/plastic cups. just the right size in my opinion, and has an industrial appeal. I'll grant you that it's a personal preference and I may be only one who likes that.  I had never seen the white pair on the B & H site for the replacement pads. I'm not really a white headphone guy (see crusty ear pad comment above please).

Jun 16, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #42 of 54
  I will grant you that my current pair would only appeal to fans of crusty velour and compressed headbands. That and ad hoc wire tie suspended zalman mics.

All kidding aside, I actually really like the busy mesh/plastic cups. just the right size in my opinion, and has an industrial appeal. I'll grant you that it's a personal preference and I may be only one who likes that.  I had never seen the white pair on the B & H site for the replacement pads. I'm not really a white headphone guy (see crusty ear pad comment above please).

The picture of the Sennheiser HD590's on B&H's website looks white because they edited the photo as "monochromatic" to emphasize the black ear pads for sale. 
wink_face.gif

These headphones are rather good considering the price when bought used. They have a great sound stage and are fairly easy to drive due to the 120 ohm impedance.
They are not as refined as the HD 600's but present less veil at the expense of neutrality. Listening to vinyl playback with the HD 590's works for me because vinyl has an organic sound that these headphones compliment very well. The HD 590's high frequencies do not become sibilant from vinyl playback. This is usually more of an issue with compressed digital formats with poor amplification. The bass, at times, can be a bit spongy and not as controlled as the HD 600's or HD 650's. I use my Sennheiser headphones with a Burson HA-160 dedicated amplifier. This amplifier tightens up the bass and controls the drivers nicely!

Jun 17, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #43 of 54

Zalman Mics?  As in more than one?  Psuedo-binaural recordings with Zalmans haha.

Can you replace drivers for the HD590s?  I wonder if Senn still has them in stock.

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #44 of 54

Zalman Mics?  As in more than one?  Psuedo-binaural recordings with Zalmans haha.

Can you replace drivers for the HD590s?  I wonder if Senn still has them in stock.

Just one, I was really referring to the society of zalman mics on wire ties for the betterment of internet gaming, or SOZMOWTFTBOIG for short.

And it looks like the replacement driver answer is 'maybe'

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/sennheiser-replacement-capsules-for-hd590-100ohm.html

Jun 17, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #45 of 54
  The picture of the Sennheiser HD590's on B&H's website looks white because they edited the photo as "monochromatic" to emphasize the black ear pads for sale. 
wink_face.gif

These headphones are rather good considering the price when bought used. They have a great sound stage and are fairly easy to drive due to the 120 ohm impedance.
They are not as refined as the HD 600's but present less veil at the expense of neutrality. Listening to vinyl playback with the HD 590's works for me because vinyl has an organic sound that these headphones compliment very well. The HD 590's high frequencies do not become sibilant from vinyl playback. This is usually more of an issue with compressed digital formats with poor amplification. The bass, at times, can be a bit spongy and not as controlled as the HD 600's or HD 650's. I use my Sennheiser headphones with a Burson HA-160 dedicated amplifier. This amplifier tightens up the bass and controls the drivers nicely!

Ah... i was viewing that on my phone and didn't pick up the intent of the manipulation (or the manipulation at all).  I love mine for gaming. I prefer an open back and an easy to drive impedance (nothing really fancy about my amp setup for headphones, but I do have a boatload of transducers for SimVibe and I can switch it to low pass for non SimVibe games)

It also provides a really great soundstage for localization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back