Sennheiser HD 580 Precisions are awesome!
Mar 24, 2005 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

D1E

New Head-Fier
I've recently been bitten by the audiophile headphone bug, and couldn't stop myself from ordering a pair of Sennheiser HD 580s (for a great price: $149 shipped, new)- they just arrived today. And while I'm very new to all of this, I am aware that they need to be broken in - but they sound fantastic already!

The only other headphones I have to compare these against are my old Sony MDR-V700DJs (I know these have a horrible reputation around here, but they were my first pair of good headphones) and my other pair of Sennheisers, HD 497s.

Is a Cmoy amp enough amplification for the HD 580s, or should I expect additional improvement with more power?

Thanks for everything I have learned from these forums. I have been lurking for a while, and that's how I came to decide on the 580s...

Mar 24, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 8
If you do decide to get a portable amplifier - make sure it runs off a dual 9V supply...like the SR-71 for example (I dont know if your budget will accomodate this fine amp).

While a CMOY is good with the HD-580 - it is a marginal improvement over a good strong headphone out (like vintage PCDC...Sony D25 etc.).

Instead - a PPA (Nisbeth is selling his and the price is pretty good) will really get them singing.

Either that or Chinese tube amps
wink.gif
There may be a group buy for a $30.00 tube amp. But after shipping etc. it could become a lot more.

gs

Mar 24, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 8
Yeah, I just got the HD580's today from a guy on eBay. They're a couple months old, but sure sound good as hell compared to everything else I've had... Savin up for one of those Pocket Amps from that guy on Electric Avenunes. Got mine hooked up to my SBA 2 ZS right now. WAY improvement over my Senn PC150s.

Funny how ppl @ school make fun of you for spending $103 on headphones. Those idiots say "well i can get full size headphones for $20." sadly, they don't know what they're missing out on...
600smile.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 8
when i first got into this hobby, i ran my hd580 from a cmoy that i built. it was definite improvement over the headphone out on my ipod but on my d-5 it didn't make much of a difference. it wasn't until i got an x-can that my hd580 got enough power. a gilmore lite isn't too expensive and i thought that it sounded much more dynamic compared to the x-can.

Mar 24, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 8
HD580s were the first real quality cans I bought (before that I was into Denon AH-Dxxx's which are in Sony 7506 territory... not bad, but not that great either). Liked the 580 so much I bought a pair of HD600s. Sold the 600s last year because of financial problems, still have the 580s. I'm a "Senn house sound" fan, and see no need to really bother with other headphones (atm my "groovalizers" are Koss Portapro 2, although eventually I'll get a larger / pricier / better quality pair of groovy cans).

Guess I'm one of those people who feels little need to keep experimenting after finding something they really like. That's probably why I don't hang around here much anymore and just drop in occasionally -- I'm an aberration and an anomaly on Head-Fi...
lambda.gif

Keep lovin' those 580s... you might just find that after a long, exhausting road auditioning every headphone from Arkansas to Zimbabwe, you end up returning to HD580/600/650. Then again, maybe you'll end up with Stax, a high end electrostatic amp, and a 2nd mortgage on your house...
tongue.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by D1E
Is a Cmoy amp enough amplification for the HD 580s, or should I expect additional improvement with more power?

Yes and yes.
biggrin.gif

I believe a cmoy amp would be at least required to enjoy 580s, and better or 'more powerful' amp would allow you to hear 580s full capability.

Mar 24, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Keep lovin' those 580s... you might just find that after a long, exhausting road auditioning every headphone from Arkansas to Zimbabwe, you end up returning to HD580/600/650. Then again, maybe you'll end up with Stax, a high end electrostatic amp, and a 2nd mortgage on your house...
tongue.gif

Well, besides the fact that I'm a poor college student, my wife has the good sense to keep my spending on hobbies in check.

I have to be quite honest here though - I believe a great many of the modifications and expensive additions discussed here in the forums benefit from the placebo effect - a lot of the "improvement" is imagined. I couldn't fathom spending $500 (or much more) on a headphone amplifier - even if the improvement is factual and perceptible, it's outright highway robbery. You can buy a computer for $500 nowadays; hell, you can even buy a laptop with a 15.4" LCD screen. Why the ridiculous prices for a small box with a whole lot less complex electronic circuitry inside? My $50 eBay CMoy seems to be quite a nice match with my Senns, at least for now.

There is no denying the significant improvement of the HD 580s over my previous headphones, however, and the price was quite fair (relative to audiophile speakers, at any rate)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back