Sennheiser HD 569
Oct 31, 2020 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

genewiseman

New Head-Fier
I needed some closed back headphones because my HE 4XX's don't block out my wife's tv shows. I was considering several other phones when I came across the HD 169's for just $65.00. They look like the rest of the 500 series but there isn't a lot of information on them out there. They can easily be driven from my Kindle fire but they do sound better though my Schiit Magni. I listen to a lot of records and, so far anyway, they seem to amplify whatever you play. I have an old Brenda Lee album that sounds amazing but I have a brand new John Prine re-issue that sounds awful and they really add to that too. Other than the noise isolation, which is great, I am really kind of undecided on my opinion of these headphones. I would love to hear some other opinions of this model.
Thanks a lot!
Gene

Feb 1, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 11
Hello everyone!

Currently I own Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, 250 Ohm and AKG K371, apart from my open backs - HD600/HD650 and AKG K702.

I need another pair of closed back headphones that are more comfortable than K361, because the pads of K361 are small for my ears.
I find DT770 very comfortable, but they are V-shaped and I do not like their sounding.

As I find HD600 to be very comfortable and I like their sounding very much, I think that HD569 (closed-back) could be a good fit for my ears, since same pads should be used for both models.

But some say HD569 tend to have bass with a ‘boomy’ character and not very refined or ‘sharp’ treble.
Is that so? How different is the sound of HD569 from the sound of K361, respectively HD600?

I was looking around for an alternative - HD598 CS, but seems like they could not be found in good shape nowadays.

For music I use my Mac as source and a DragonFly Red mostly.
My main focus is comfort and sound quality too.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 11
Hello everyone!

Currently I own Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, 250 Ohm and AKG K371, apart from my open backs - HD600/HD650 and AKG K702.

I need another pair of closed back headphones that are more comfortable than K361, because the pads of K361 are small for my ears.
I find DT770 very comfortable, but they are V-shaped and I do not like their sounding.

As I find HD600 to be very comfortable and I like their sounding very much, I think that HD569 (closed-back) could be a good fit for my ears, since same pads should be used for both models.

But some say HD569 tend to have bass with a ‘boomy’ character and not very refined or ‘sharp’ treble.
Is that so? How different is the sound of HD569 from the sound of K361, respectively HD600?

I was looking around for an alternative - HD598 CS, but seems like they could not be found in good shape nowadays.

For music I use my Mac as source and a DragonFly Red mostly.
My main focus is comfort and sound quality too.

Thank you in advance for your help.
I hate to say it but it seems like the more I listen to these headphones, the less I like them. They are just fatiquing to me. I have been considering trying the dt770's or k361's. You might like them better than me though. My hearing isn't that good so what works best for me might be terrible for a person with good hearing.

Feb 1, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 11
Personally I strongly dislike the HD569. When you're talking about headphones like the HD600, HD598, DT770 (which you can argue all compete with eachother reasonably on a similar level) then the HD569, or rather 598CS, is a serious step below them. They lack definition and refinement from top to bottom, they have a honky midrange with tinny treble and although the bass has a bit of punch, compared to the visceral DT770 bass it's a world of difference (and I don't like to use hyperbole easily in this hobby).

Would I recommend them to a person without much interest in audio gear who just needs some comfy closed backs? Sure, with the understanding that the pads flake like crazy. But for even a half-serious audiophile? Not a chance. These don't meet any standard of high quality audio in my opinion.

That said the problem is the market for decent midrange closed backs is seriously limited. If you don't like Beyers, ATM50 or akg371, and you're also looking for good comfort, you kinda run out of options pretty fast. So that's something to take into consideration too, but don't think you're getting HD598 level midrange with the 569. It's what I expected and I was very disappointed.

Feb 2, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 11
Thank you, Nirvana Woman for your answer.

I will skip HD 569, but unfortunately I can not imagine what other closed - back headphones could bring comfort for my croocked ears, similar to that of the HD600, and in the same price range.

For the moment being I will just "suffer" with my DT770 (which pads I do find extremely comfortable) , while being in noisy environments. 😀

Dec 31, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 11
Personally I strongly dislike the HD569. When you're talking about headphones like the HD600, HD598, DT770 (which you can argue all compete with eachother reasonably on a similar level) then the HD569, or rather 598CS, is a serious step below them. They lack definition and refinement from top to bottom, they have a honky midrange with tinny treble and although the bass has a bit of punch, compared to the visceral DT770 bass it's a world of difference (and I don't like to use hyperbole easily in this hobby).

Would I recommend them to a person without much interest in audio gear who just needs some comfy closed backs? Sure, with the understanding that the pads flake like crazy. But for even a half-serious audiophile? Not a chance. These don't meet any standard of high quality audio in my opinion.

That said the problem is the market for decent midrange closed backs is seriously limited. If you don't like Beyers, ATM50 or akg371, and you're also looking for good comfort, you kinda run out of options pretty fast. So that's something to take into consideration too, but don't think you're getting HD598 level midrange with the 569. It's what I expected and I was very disappointed.
I prefer my 569's rather than my 598's

Dec 31, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 11
I recently bought a used set of Sony MDR 7506's. The stock pads were not for me but after swapping them out for some deep aftermarket pads I couldn't be happier. I would sell the 569's but I feel kinda bad passing on my problems to the next guy.

Jan 4, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #11 of 11
The next guy might love the 569's,I have the 569 598's 599 560S I like them all for different reasons,I wouldn't worry about passing on the 569s as long as they are not faulty,don't over think things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back