Sennheiser HD 558 Sound Questions + <$50 Sound Card
Aug 20, 2014 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Nixxi

New Head-Fier
I'm not an audiophile (Sorry for my bad explanations)

I just received my Sennheiser HD 558s but i have a few questions.  

Music:
They seem to have a little bit too much bass from what i expected or maybe it's just that i don't have enough burn in on them yet. My Turtle Beach X12s had a bass slider and they sound similar to when the bass slider is set to max. Although on my iPod 5 they don't have the bass issue. Setting the iTunes equalizer to "Bass Reducer" seems to help a bit.  The Sennheiser's sound a little more "full"? than the X12s. Perhaps it's the encoding of the file and nothing to do with the headphones but who knows. (Mostly 320 Kbps but ranges.)

Movies:
They sound kinda quiet even on 100% volume (Using VLC Player). Videos on the browser (Youtube, etc) sound good. Perhaps it's the encoding of the file and nothing to do with the headphones but who knows.

Gaming:
No issues.

Currently they're hooked to the back audio jack because the front jack is broken (Fractal Design R4). My motherboard is ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec)). But i noticed the sound sounded less "bassy" when connected to the front jack and the volume at 100% was louder. I usually listen anywhere from 20-30% volume on the front and on the back it's more like 40-60% also Windows seems to detect my headphones as Speakers when i connect them to the back audio jack. I was also wondering if there's a sound card for less than $50 that would improve my listening experience with these headphones.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 6
  I'm not an audiophile (Sorry for my bad explanations)
I just received my Sennheiser HD 558s but i have a few questions.  
Music:
They seem to have a little bit too much bass from what i expected or maybe it's just that i don't have enough burn in on them yet. My Turtle Beach X12s had a bass slider and they sound similar to when the bass slider is set to max. Although on my iPod 5 they don't have the bass issue. Setting the iTunes equalizer to "Bass Reducer" seems to help a bit.  The Sennheiser's sound a little more "full"? than the X12s. Perhaps it's the encoding of the file and nothing to do with the headphones but who knows. (Mostly 320 Kbps but ranges.)
Movies:
They sound kinda quiet even on 100% volume (Using VLC Player). Videos on the browser (Youtube, etc) sound good. Perhaps it's the encoding of the file and nothing to do with the headphones but who knows.
Gaming:
No issues.
Currently they're hooked to the back audio jack because the front jack is broken (Fractal Design R4). My motherboard is Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec)). But i noticed the sound sounded less "bassy" when connected to the front jack and the volume at 100% was louder. I usually listen anywhere from 20-30% volume on the front and on the back it's more like 40-60% also Windows seems to detect my headphones as Speakers when i connect them to the back audio jack. I was also wondering if there's a sound card for less than $50 that would improve my listening experience with these headphones.

In the BIOS, make sure on-board HD Audio is set to "enable" and the on-board HDMI HD audio is disabled.

Have you updated to the latest audio drivers?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=Win8a64

You could try the Asus Xonar DG ($18-$28, PCI) or DGX ($28-$38, PCI-E) sound cards.
remember to disable the on-board HD Audio when installing an add-on internal sound card.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 6

In the BIOS, make sure on-board HD Audio is set to "enable" and the on-board HDMI HD audio is disabled.

Have you updated to the latest audio drivers?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=Win8a64

You could try the Asus Xonar DG ($18-$28, PCI) or DGX ($28-$38, PCI-E) sound cards.
remember to disable the on-board HD Audio when installing an add-on internal sound card.

I couldn't find anything in the BIOS (UEFI for me). In Device Manager i have 4 things enabled Intel(R) Display Audio, NVIDIA High Definition Audio, NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM), and Realtek High Definition Audio. Yes, my drivers are up to date also.

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 6

I couldn't find anything in the BIOS (UEFI for me). In Device Manager i have 4 things enabled Intel(R) Display Audio, NVIDIA High Definition Audio, NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM), and Realtek High Definition Audio. Yes, my drivers are up to date also.

In the motherboard's manual on page 63, it shows where the onboard HD Audio settings are in the (UEFI) BIOS.
(Advanced\South Bridge configuration)
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Manual

I'm guessing the HDMI (Nvidia) audio is currently enabled, so switching the HDMI Audio to disable might help.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 6

In the motherboard's manual on page 63, it shows where the onboard HD Audio settings are in the (UEFI) BIOS.
(Advanced\South Bridge configuration)
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Manual

I'm guessing the HDMI (Nvidia) audio is currently enabled, so switching the HDMI Audio to disable might help.

On-board HD Audio was set to Auto and On-board HDMI and was Enabled. I set HDMI to Disabled and Audio to Enabled. Also Intel(R) Display Audio is no longer on my Device Manager. Music definitely sounds less "muffled" and quiet.

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #6 of 6
  On-board HD Audio was set to Auto and On-board HDMI and was Enabled. I set HDMI to Disabled and Audio to Enabled. Also Intel(R) Display Audio is no longer on my Device Manager. Music definitely sounds less "muffled" and quiet.

Yea, it's progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back