Sennheiser HD 558 - ow, my head?
Jan 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TwistedKestrel

New Head-Fier
Reserructing my old Head-Fi account to ask some knowledgeable people a question. I did a quick search and didn't turn up anything, but I'll still accept a flogging if this gets asked a lot.

Future Shop recently had a decent web sale on the Sennhesier HD558 ($139.99 CDN) and I was thinking about an upgrade from my old (but reliable) Sony set. So I bit the bullet, even got a "fancy" Grado 1/4 to 1/8 cable so the otherwise enormous adapter that the headphones come with wouldn't break off any headphone jacks on my stuff. So far I like the sound, BUT - using them for extended periods results in increasing discomfort, like somebody's slowly screwing a C-clamp on my head. Eventually I get frustrated and take them off. I took my old Sony's to work today and realized how much more comfortable they were. What gives? Am I wearing them "wrong" or something? I don't have a massive or tiny head (I wear a Shoei medium motorcycle helmet, if that means anything to anyone, dunno my hat size). Do they break in and get more comfortable? I'm considering returning them or selling them.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 7
I'd say to go ahead and sell them.  I haven't really noticed a change in comfort in mine, granted I find them extremely comfortable.  Appears that the 5x8 series of Sennheisers aren't for everyone.  

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 7
Interesting. I think most would agree that comfort is the HD55x/59x strong suit. If they are not comfy immediately, they probably will never be for you as they don't have much of a "break-in" period.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 7
I own a pair of HD558s and yes, they can be a bit tight. I've demoed a well used pair of 598s at a local shop and they were much looser. In saying that however, I don't find the 558s so overbearingly uncomfortable that I'd want to get rid of them, and I'll gladly sacrifice the little discomfort I experience for the sound. =)

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 7
You dont need to sell them. Stretch them a bit before using them, the clamping force will go away. 

This way i dealt with my HD-25's which have a strong clamp force. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 7
I have been storing my HD598's over the arm of my couch to help stretch them a bit. I found them uncomfortable at first, because the oval pads rest right on my temples.
I would also try loosening the headband a few more notches so that the top of your ears are almost touching the upper part of the pad. That helped me a TON.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back