Sem T

New Head-Fier
Hi

i need some new headphones for watching TV/DVDs

and i I'm not sure if i should go for the Sennheiser HD 515 or the HD 555

the 515 costs £49.99 while the HD 555 costs £79.99

is it worth the extra?
I'm not someone who needs the absolute best sound quality

as long as its equal or better than the Technics RP-F880 i used before I'm happy

thanks

Nov 7, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sem T
Hi

i need some new headphones for watching TV/DVDs

and i I'm not sure if i should go for the Sennheiser HD 515 or the HD 555

the 515 costs £49.99 while the HD 555 costs £79.99

is it worth the extra?
I'm not someone who needs the absolute best sound quality

as long as its equal or better than the Technics RP-F880 i used before I'm happy

thanks

Hi Sem T! Welcome to head-fi...and sorry about your wallet
icon10.gif

I own the HD555s and would definitely recommend them to someone looking for cans for watching DVDs. Very comfy, the highs are toned down a bit (the infamous "Sennheiser veil") so they're easy to listen to for hours on end, and I think they have enough bass to satisfy when watching things explode. They also fare very well when an amp is added, so you have that option in the future.

I haven't heard the HD515, but people almost always skip over it for the 555, in other words the increase in quality you get for those thirty pounds is probably worth quite a bit more than thirty pounds. But this is all subjective, so by all means get out and give them both a listen if you have the option.

Good luck!

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 20
Yup definately skip the 515's.
They were my first 'audiophile' headphone when I first got into the scene. I then realised the sound of these phones weren't exactly too good so I jumped on the 595 wagon. I know the 555's aren't the 595's but they share the same characteristics.

This is an easy one. 554's fo sure...

Nov 7, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyyoudvd
How's the build quality on the 555's?

They're built pretty well. You can't necessarily walk all over them, but I've thrown mine around quite a bit and they're still in perfect condition. Definitely built better than my Grados...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sade
Skip the HD515 entirely. Get the HD555 or for less money the HD485.
I think the HD485 costs less than the HD515.

Second! In addition the HD 555s are even better suited for TV/DVD than the HD 595s.

Nov 7, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDwarf
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Sade
Skip the HD515 entirely. Get the HD555 or for less money the HD485.
I think the HD485 costs less than the HD515.

Second! In addition the HD 555s are even better suited for TV/DVD than the HD 595s.

Thirded. While I think that the HD595 would offer superior performance in every way possible using the exact same output source, I would definately go straight ahead with the HD555. I have a pair and I love them. However, I might warn you that the sound is a bit laid back and not so in-your-face as for example, a pair of Grados. However, their soundstage is large and they really shine when it comes to 3D sound effects! Get a pair now and you won't regret it!

Nov 7, 2005 at 10:36 AM Post #10 of 20
I need a new headphone for watching HDTVs ,playing games and playing music(Classical,Newage,Metal)on my computer,I like a headphone with powerful bass.But does a HD555 really suit me?

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #11 of 20
Of those to, you have listed, I would buy the 555, they are a lot better then the 515. But if you have intent too use them much, I would recommend the 595 or the 580, but of course the cost a little more, but the are also much better

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 20
hi

thanks for the replies

i have decided to go with the HD 485's for £44.99

i bought them from a shop that will allow me to return them so if they are not as good as my old technics ill just send them back and get the HD 555's for £69.99

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #13 of 20
bump

hello, new user here
orphsmile.gif
. I am very interested in this topic, in fact I own the 515s but was somewhat dissapointed but I didnt quite know why. I just ordered the 555 for only 32 dollars more than I spent on the 515 from reading a few reviews from amazon and this site. I realize the 555 must be better, but can someone tell me why? I see the frequency range is better, and it claims to be better for movies, is it mechanically better than the 515?

I also own sennheiser HD-457 which I love with my portable, and for only 30 bucks its seems like one of the best headphone purchases I've ever made. Will I get that feeling with the 555 that i'm not getting with the 515? I'm not much of an audiophille, I usually research and buy the best budget electronics I can. I'm no audiophille but something doesnt seem right about the 515, I'm hoping the 555 will be better

edit:

I just read that sennheiser releases 50ohm and 120ohm versions, this is news to me. I just ordered the 555 from crutchfield, they say its the 120ohm version on the website, I was planning on using these on portables occasionally and my receiver with no intentions of using a headphone amp. Now the 515s I own right now are the 50ohm (there was a little sticker on the box saying so) and they work decently with my portable sony cd player, does this mean my 555 wont work as well on my portable? I'm a little worried now, do these numbers really matter to me?

Dec 21, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #14 of 20
photek:

The 120-ohm, I've read is still quite easy to drive, so I dont think you will have a big problem... maybe you just need to turn up the volume a bit.

It could also be possible that the website hasn't updated the page, as the 120-ohm HD5x5's are no longer produced. Or it could have old stock; I'd say there is a chance you might get either version. Rest assured that they are of the same sound quality either way.

About the HD555: it is certainly of higher quality than the HD515 (judging, admittedly, from a quick in-store test).

But when you get them: Make sure you give them at LEAST a few days of burn-in before you make any judgements on sound. And even then, listen to them for a while, get used to the sound.

When I had my HD555, new, I was slightly underwhelmed (bordering on dissapointed), but I stuck with them and I love them. I dont know if its me or the cans, but they sound very good to me now than they did just 2 days ago.

I am currently using then umamped, but will pair them with a Go-Vibe as my siggy says, to see what kind of difference it makes.

Dec 24, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #15 of 20
Thanks for the response sumguy, I just received my 555 a few hours ago, and already I can tell a difference without the "break in" process, so I'm sure they will sound even better by next year. They sure are right when they say its worth it to just buy the 555, its sounds good to me! I'm giving the 515s to my mom who doesnt know anything about sound quality, she likes the way they fit and feel as well as the sound (compared to her crappy $15 koss headphones lol) Oh and I also got the 50ohm version, I took a picture of the box and am planning on sending it to crutchfield to see if they want to update their system (I talked to cust. service yesterday about this) I'm so happy, anyone else have any comments on this comparison?

I bought the 515 before reading any review, since it was the only one I could find in stores. After listening to them I was a lil dissapointed, the treble seemed really high, and the bass was lackluster, and what they say about the midrange is true as well. I then went online to read reviews and all of them recommended the 555 instead. I can say they were right, they work great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back