Sennheiser HD 555 v. Audio Technica M50
Apr 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

coolcucumber91

New Head-Fier
I'm looking a new pair of over the ear headphones. I currently own a pair of grado labs (sr 80) but they are uncomfortable and open. So I want a new pair of closed ear headphones that sound good. These 2 sound good, but I don't know how they compare.

About me (I'm not an audiophile or a musician so forgive me for my lack of terms):
-I care about clarity. I really love it when I can play it really loud and be sharp with no crackling
-More noise isolating, the better, but comfort has priority. Just as long as there's not much sound leakage
-As long as it has a decent amount of bass, I'm good. I just don't want it to have very little like the HD 280s.
-I listen to a lot of rock (not heavy metal or hard), but I'm starting to listen to a lot of japanese pop and it can get very high
-I want the sound to be as close to speaker sound as possible. I don't know how to explain it, but the reason I prefer my speakers (and they are nice, Antec Soundscience Rockus) is because they sound not as shallow and most immersive/ fuller than my headphones. 

So which one should I choose? If there's anything else you recommend, I'll be happy to hear it! Thank you!

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 13
the hd555s are open headphones and wont provide you with isolation, and they have been discontinued and replaced with the hd558 anyway and both are not really good for rock music, the m50s are a great all rounder but also take a look at the beyerdynamic dt770.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #3 of 13
HD555 is exactly what you're not looking for, although it's a good bit more comfortable than the M50. M50 is a closed back, isolates well, and is fairly clear. However its long term comfort is rather bad. HD555 is an open back and doesn't have much bass. However it is more clear and has a more speaker airy like sound compared to the M50s.

If you have the money, how about looking for a Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm? You'll get the best of both worlds.

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 13

Quote:
HD555 is exactly what you're not looking for, although it's a good bit more comfortable than the M50. M50 is a closed back, isolates well, and is fairly clear. However its long term comfort is rather bad. HD555 is an open back and doesn't have much bass. However it is more clear and has a more speaker airy like sound compared to the M50s.
If you have the money, how about looking for a Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm? You'll get the best of both worlds.

Can you explain more about them? They must be really good, both of you guys mentioned it.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 13
I am not sure either the M50 or the DT770 would be great for rock, as this genre does benefit from good mids that allow for clear sounding guitars and vocals; that is one of the reasons why Grados (with emphasized upper mids) are popular for rock. The DT770 (I have the 250 Ohm Pro version) is decent for electronic music and other genres that sound good with emphasis on sub-bass and treble, but the upper midrange is indeed somewhat recessed; the M50 is said to be similar.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #7 of 13
AT M50 is comfy as hell. My ears or head never gets any pain when I wear. My head is about 58cm if you measure from forehead. I also like em with rock, no problem with em. I also have sone Fischer FA 003/Brainwavz hm5/Lindy headphones ( they are the same) I like em both....

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 13
The beyers have lots of low bass and a good spike in the high notes. Your ordinary u-shaped frequency response headphone. This doesn't mean that they have no mids, rather their mids just are a little recessed compared to other headphones. They are clearer than the M50s with a larger soundstage.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 13
I am hesitant to get the Beyers...I see a lot of reviews and breaking and bad customer service. Man, they seem like a dream come true!

Okay, you guys are mentioning rock but I am listening to rock less and less and Jpop more. and jpop is very high and electronic

Any other recommendations? Thanks guys, sorry about being so picky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back