Sennheiser HD-555: safe volume question
Dec 8, 2008 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

x3sphere

Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-555's and use them non-amped on my computer with an integrated Realtek sound card. They sound fantastic, but I'm a bit concerned with the volume levels. I have my volume settings set to 32 in the Realtek control panel and set my volume settings in foobar set in the middle. But if I move the volume slider in foobar up all the way to the right, it gets unbearably loud, and that's with the Realtek control still set at 32.

My question is this: could I potentially ruin the headphones if both foobar and the Realtek volume setting was set to 100? Sometimes settings reset and I'm worried I may inadvertently damage the headphones (and my ears, too). Or is the power from my sound card not enough to worry about?

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by x3sphere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question is this: could I potentially ruin the headphones if both foobar and the Realtek volume setting was set to 100? Sometimes settings reset and I'm worried I may inadvertently damage the headphones (and my ears, too). Or is the power from my sound card not enough to worry about?

You need to set the volume controls so you can safely and easily control the volume when turning it up and down so as to not hurt your hearing. The headphones likely will give out at higher volumes than your ears. So if you do that, there would be no need to worry about the HD555 being damaged.

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 9
also, keep the Foobar volume at full and reduce the Realtek volume.

reducing the Music softwares volume deteriorates the sound quality in many cases.

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also, keep the Foobar volume at full and reduce the Realtek volume.

reducing the Music softwares volume deteriorates the sound quality in many cases.

Really? I never knew.. Gotta change it right now..

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 9
reducing the realtek volume does too... still digital
if you want it unharmed out of your pc, you need to set everything at 100 and use a separate amp.

Dec 8, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the responses everyone. I can lower the Realtek volume so that foobar is still at max, but then, the problem is that everything else sounds too quiet - such as YouTube videos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
reducing the realtek volume does too... still digital
if you want it unharmed out of your pc, you need to set everything at 100 and use a separate amp.

I think that's what I'll do. Any recommendations for an amp? I was looking at this, since it can be powered by USB only:

HeadRoom Total BitHead @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Dec 8, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 9
u can get something like iBasso D2 Boa.. which is an Amp + USB Dac...that way u wont need realtek onboard sound.

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
u can get something like iBasso D2 Boa.. which is an Amp + USB Dac...that way u wont need realtek onboard sound.

Thanks, I'm going to get the Boa
smily_headphones1.gif
Seems like the best choice for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back