Sennheiser HD 555/595 "Soundstage Mod" Regrets?
Apr 8, 2009 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Zaubertuba

100+ Head-Fier
So, I just did the "555-->595" Mod last night, which is basically just pulling the two foam pieces off of the inside of of the capsule screens.

The positive difference in sound clarity has me contemplating the more invasive, non-reversible "soundstage" mod.

Has anyone who has actually done this mod. on their 555 or 595, regretted doing it?

Incidentally, if you're interested in the 555-->595 mod. (the nice thing is it's reversible) You can read about my impressions about it here.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 9
Anyone?
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 9
I did this yesterday, didn't regret it but they are noticeably different now, the highs aren't quite as bright, they are a lot more detailed, more airy, and the soundstage is much more precise. However, bad masterings (all new digital music) sound a lot worse because of the added detail.

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 9
If you think that its bad on modded HD 555, dont get HD 650.. I almost puked on some masterings..

Yes HD 650 is overbassed and have some veil.. but it also makes you hear quite a lot more music, which is terrible when you find some realy messed up mastering.
biggrin.gif
They are really "open" almost no dampening.. pretty much same as HD 555 when you make "soundstage mod".

Would be interesting to make some "half soundstage mod" to keep some personality of HD 555 while getting bit more of music..

May 2, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 9
I'm interested to hear of any regrets about this mod, as well. I'm reluctant to do this on my pair because I've read that it reduces the structural integrity...
confused_face(1).gif

May 4, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 9
Don't worry about the durability, I've dropped these off my desk before and after I did it, they're still solid. However after a while I have noticed that the high mids (I think, it's where higher pitched male singers like James Labrie are) are quieter, makes some vocals sound like crap sometimes, then the low-mid highs are super loud, if a guitarist plays a really high note, its painfully loud, but it doesn't happen too often. Also, the soundstage is very 2d without crossfeed (but wide). All in all I'm pretty happy with it, though.

May 4, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by iunno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However after a while I have noticed that the high mids (I think, it's where higher pitched male singers like James Labrie are) are quieter, makes some vocals sound like crap sometimes, then the low-mid highs are super loud, if a guitarist plays a really high note, its painfully loud, but it doesn't happen too often. Also, the soundstage is very 2d without crossfeed (but wide). All in all I'm pretty happy with it, though.

this is only after the mod?

May 5, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is only after the mod?

Yes, I just fixed the dip with an equalizer though, i raised 500 2-3 db and 1k about 3-4 db. I don't know where the sharp peak is but I think its above 16k, not sure. It happens extremely rarely though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back