Sennheiser HD 518 vs 558 on a Intel 7 Series/C210 Series HD Audio Controller
Jul 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MasterBuilder

New Head-Fier
Hi,

The headphones I use just crapped out on me and I am in need of a replacement stat, so I'm hoping I can get enough replies within the next few hours to make a decision. First of all, I'm not exactly a audiophile - I have always used a stock soundcard and I never use FLACs (I recently switched to AACs which I understand to be superior to MP3s) - although to be honest I've never really tried because I have never had a player that could play them natively. Anyway, I'm wondering whether I should even bother with the 558s with the soundcard I have. I've read some reviews that say the 518s are marginally less comfortable and are slightly more bass-heavy but overall are not extremely distinguishable from the 558s (I'm not saying there is no difference in quality - obviously,) but it is entirely irrelevant if I can't take advantage of the 558s with my soundcard (in the title.) My mobo is a Gigabyte H77-DS3H and I think I have a 750w psu if that's relevant. The price is not a huge consideration - obviously I would like to spend as little as possible but I am willing to spend a little more to get higher quality headphones that last longer. But by the same token I'm not interested in throwing money at an extravagance if the benefits are only marginal.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back