Sennheiser HD 515
Nov 10, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cylanes
Ehm now rise the question, what is a CMOY????
sorry guys, i`m just a newbie to the fantastic world of headphones.

A small, inexpensive (in most cases), DIY headphone amplifer. (CMOY= Chu Moy, the creator (?) of this particular amp, IIRC)

Nov 10, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #17 of 28
Yeah ok, tnx guys.......

I wish I never found this forum. After reading all this stuff....I just want more!!!
But my common sense says I`m satisfied with my stuff, but something strange is driving me for more. Can`t explain what it is.

Maybe the holidays have something nice for me, I hope.....

Dec 10, 2004 at 8:51 AM Post #18 of 28
As a fellow newbie I can say that I like the HD515s I just picked up today. I was surfing around looking for something to build and found the Cmoy amp wich I am almost done with, but I needed a "real" set of headphones to play with it, Thats how I found this site. I'd have to agree, after reading all the forums about all the differnt amps and headphones I just want more.

Listening to Bond 1812 and it sounds great with these HD515s

Well, I finished my Cmoy amp today, I like the sound with the HD 515s. Its amazing how bad some of my MP3 rips are now I have to go re-rip all my stuff.

Listening to Hi NRG techno stream now
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #20 of 28
This thread is a month old. He's probably decided already.
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #21 of 28
Rkawa,

Congrats on your HD515's! I knew that they'd be a step up from the good HD497's (unlike their HD500 predecessors, which sounded just as dark and crappy as the HD490's at a higher price point).

Dec 12, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #22 of 28
Add another vote for the 515 from me. I really hadn't heard too much about them when I picked them up. I'm assuming it's because most people choose to throw in the 50 extra bucks for the next set of 'phones. I'm loving these at the moment though, they're great for somebody who just wants to test the waters of audiophile headphones without blowing all their cash on an amp to drive them.

These really improve so much with a good burn-in. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference, but it truly does. Since I first took them out of the box.. my impression went from "nice" to "wow!". They also put the v600 to shame, even though I realize that's not saying much.

Here's some music I've tried on these so far that sound amazing:

Lots of Pink Floyd; Meddle, The Wall, Dark Side, all sound great.
That new Green Day - American Idiot and some Trans-Siberian stuff.
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Radiohead - OK Computer/Kid A/The Bends

You really notice things that you never heard before with these. I would definitely recommend that people try them out before passing them up. Give them a chance to expand their sound with lots of burn-in, too. You might be surprised.

Dec 13, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Telekinesis
Add another vote for the 515 from me. I really hadn't heard too much about them when I picked them up. I'm assuming it's because most people choose to throw in the 50 extra bucks for the next set of 'phones. I'm loving these at the moment though, they're great for somebody who just wants to test the waters of audiophile headphones without blowing all their cash on an amp to drive them.

These really improve so much with a good burn-in. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference, but it truly does. Since I first took them out of the box.. my impression went from "nice" to "wow!". They also put the v600 to shame, even though I realize that's not saying much.

Here's some music I've tried on these so far that sound amazing:

Lots of Pink Floyd; Meddle, The Wall, Dark Side, all sound great.
That new Green Day - American Idiot and some Trans-Siberian stuff.
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Radiohead - OK Computer/Kid A/The Bends

You really notice things that you never heard before with these. I would definitely recommend that people try them out before passing them up. Give them a chance to expand their sound with lots of burn-in, too. You might be surprised.

Yes, finally another head-fier with a HD515!! I`m not alone anymore, yeah
600smile.gif

Dec 21, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #24 of 28
I can also confirm HD515's good sound.Like Telekinesis said give them a good burn in (about 40 hours or so).After that they they will sound just right.When I used them right from the box treble was little to strong but now everything is in right place.It has good comfort,it can be used for hours without hurting your ears.I tried to listen portable player with them but portable couldn't power it enough so amp would be useful.And I can use them on my laptop without a problem.

And now back to listening Calexico!
lambda.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 11:24 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by civcicv
And now back to listening Calexico!

Happy listening then!
smily_headphones1.gif

I also like Calexico, and love Giant Sand.

Dec 30, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #27 of 28
i just picked up a pair of 515's....i like them alot but i will say my grado sr60's are easier to drive....i have also already found myself switching headphones in the middle of a song because i realized i liked the grados better for rock...but all in all i think the 515's will have a place burning a whole in my pocket book....next up for me will be at least a 300 dollar purchase on headphones ....damm this site...i know one day i will be sitting in the hovel i call a shelter eating uncooked ramen noodles and stareing at a pair of 7000 dollar headphones with a giant grin on my face

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #28 of 28
I have a pair of 515's and love them, I've always been a Grado fan with the sr325i being my mainstay but I just struggle with prolonged use so I thought I'd try an entry level pair of Senns to see if I was missing anything.
I found them quite cheap in the sales last week and I can't fault them for the price I paid £45, I have a pair of px100 that cost me near on the same price!

Don't get me wrong there nowhere near my 325's in terms of sound stage and detail but they add a lovely warmth to most music and are very forgiving to lower rate mp3 I also found them ideal for listening to DAB radio something that's unbearable on my grado's.
There a lot more comfortable to wear than the Grado and I can manage longer sessions with these without being attacked by the cable.
The other plus side with the HD515 is there excellent for TV/blu-ray usage not just because of the long cable but the dynamics often produced in action movies can be a little too much with my Grado's.

If I had under a £100 to spend of cans I would still probably recommend Grado sr60/80 but if I only had £50 and needed a good start to a audiofile cans set up you couldn't go wrong with these. 

I'm hoping to save a few pennys to go a little higher up the Sennheiser ladder possibly either HD600-650 so at least they've shown me another head-fi route to take even more of my hard earned cash. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back