Sennheiser HD 515 vs. HD 497
Dec 22, 2006 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Benzoate

New Head-Fier
I'm going to be purchasing a new set of cans soon, and I've narrowed it down to either the HD 497 or the HD 515. I was going to get the 497, but then I discovered the 515s at the same price. I listen to mostly rock and electronic. I do most of my listening out of two iMacs, one of which has a rather weak volume output. I also would be using them with an iPod a fair amount of the time. An amp is pretty much out of the question for me, I don't have that kind of cash right now.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Dec 22, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 12
I have the 497 and the 515's bigger brother, the 555. The 497 has nearly the same amount of detail, but has much less bass, soundstage, and comfort (making it, IMO, fatiguing and "dry"). The 555 is very comfy and makes for good music listening, but I can see as a main con its "veil", meaning that it kinda puts distance between you and the music and doesn't involve you much. They're both great compared to standard consumer cans, though.

Oh, and the 515 is generally regarded as a waste of money. You can buy an HD485 for the same price (which I haven't heard) or upgrade. You can also buy the Grado SR-60 around the same price, if you want a bright, intimate sound.

Shameless shill alert:
Finally, is this a Christmas issue? If not, I might be selling my 555 after I get my Beyer Xmas rig, for $70+shipping.

Dec 22, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 497 and the 515's bigger brother, the 555. The 497 has nearly the same amount of detail, but has much less bass, soundstage, and comfort (making it, IMO, fatiguing and "dry"). The 555 is very comfy and makes for good music listening, but I can see as a main con its "veil", meaning that it kinda puts distance between you and the music and doesn't involve you much. They're both great compared to standard consumer cans, though.

Oh, and the 515 is generally regarded as a waste of money. You can buy an HD485 for the same price (which I haven't heard) or upgrade. You can also buy the Grado SR-60 around the same price, if you want a bright, intimate sound.

Shameless shill alert:
Finally, is this a Christmas issue? If not, I might be selling my 555 after I get my Beyer Xmas rig, for $70+shipping.

You took the words right out of my mouth, the HD485 is more comfortable than the 497, and sounds better than the 515.

Dec 22, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 12
Like the others said, buy HD485, or save up a bit more for HD555 or even HD595 if you decide to go Senn way.
Although I've never owned a Grado, but they are highly praised for their good performance in rock genre. You should look into Grado SR60 as well for a very good entry point into the Grado world.

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 12
The grados would be good for rock but the senns (hd485) would be good for electronica. Looks like you have another choice. Like someone said above, don't get the hd515.

Dec 24, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 12
Actually, the headphones I'm getting now are replacing a pair of Grados, I bought them, but they hurt my ears too much to justify keeping. I also find it hard to believe that the 485's would be more comfortable than the 497's seeing as how the 485 is advertised at Supra-aural. Although, there is a contradiction on the Sennheiser website, they say both circum and supra aural. I tend to suspect that they are smaller on the ears. I have a pair of hd 205's, and they definitely do not fit around my ears.

Dec 24, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzoate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the headphones I'm getting now are replacing a pair of Grados, I bought them, but they hurt my ears too much to justify keeping. I also find it hard to believe that the 485's would be more comfortable than the 497's seeing as how the 485 is advertised at Supra-aural. Although, there is a contradiction on the Sennheiser website, they say both circum and supra aural. I tend to suspect that they are smaller on the ears. I have a pair of hd 205's, and they definitely do not fit around my ears.

The hd485 are circumaural but a little smaller than most circumaural phones. They definetly are not supra-aural.

Dec 24, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #9 of 12
i think they made the space smaller between the drivers and the ears on the 485 deliberately. it gives it more bass....

i think they already have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much bass.

i think i can smell a padswap mod
tongue.gif

Dec 24, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

I also find it hard to believe that the 485's would be more comfortable than the 497's

Don't know about 485, but Senn HD497 are really not that comfortable, they begin to hurt ears after an hour or two of listening. They do not fit around ears, that's true ( they are too small for that ). I find even Px100 more comfortable.
Also HD497's bass is a bit boomy, it's overbloated imo. Not too bad, but I'd prefer px100 over them.

Jan 17, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #11 of 12
Well, I bought the Hd497's in the end, and I'm happy about it. The fit very well, just perfectly around my ears. They also sound good enough for me, I've never noticed anything sounding too overpowered or underpowered, the full spectrum seems to be here.

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Well, I bought the Hd497's in the end, and I'm happy about it. The fit very well, just perfectly around my ears. They also sound good enough for me, I've never noticed anything sounding too overpowered or underpowered, the full spectrum seems to be here.

That's very good for you! And get outta here as fast as you can! Oh, and don't come back!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back