Sennheiser HD-497 vs. Grado SR60
Dec 31, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #16 of 27
There were about a billion and a half threads on this subject a couple of years ago when the 497s first came out. (I know because I participated in 750 million of them.) So if you search, you can find comparisons thrashed out in excruciating detail.

Dec 31, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #17 of 27
I would not describe the 497s as shrill that's for sure. Maybe before they are broken in the highs sound a bit grating but after that they sound great. They are not uncomfortable once your stretch the headband out...headroom called the 497s the best phones under 100 bucks. I know I like them hehe.

Dec 31, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #18 of 27
I always preferred the 497s to the SR60s, and also found they worked better for me out of low powered portables. But I haven't used either much since I got my Sennheiser 280pros, which I think sound better than both.

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pookyman
I keep reading stuff about not being isolated with the SR60's.... How bad is it?

You can hear everything around you and everyone around you can hear what you're listening to (Grado's are about as open/non-isolating as you can get). If your computer is noisy and you plan on doing a lot of listening by it do yourself a favor and get closed cans. When I had my open Beyerdynamic DT440s I was nearly driven crazy by the fan noise from my computer, even when I had it's fans turned down.

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Do they adjust to your head easily?

They come pretty tight which is actually a plus for portability. I had the senns some time ago, it was easy for them to fall off my ears. The Grados's headband is not plastic, it's more like form fitting. It can be made either loose or tight, I stretch it to make it tighter or looser depending on how I'm using them.

Dec 31, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #22 of 27
I own the HD497, and after demoing a couple sets of SR60s, I don't think I'll be purchasing the Grados anytime soon. The Grado has a far more forward presentation to its sound... bass is punchier, highs somewhat brighter out of an unamped source. The HD497 sounds more mellow to my ears, without losing out on detail. Highs never get too hot, though I do wish the bass extended deeper, stronger.

The HD497 is much more comfortable if you have medium to small ears. The padding goes around your ears, and the cans rest gently on your ears. The SR60, by comparison, has the phones sitting right on your head- not my cup of tea.

Both 'phones have awkward cords- the HD497 has a 10 ft cord, the Grado, a 7 ft cord that happens to be very thick.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Jan 1, 2005 at 10:05 AM Post #24 of 27
I had both the Grado SR-60 and the Senns HD497, I prefer so much the Grados, for all type of music. For me they are on another planet, another class of sound. More emotions, more Music. Every range of frequency is better IMHO, and the headstage is better too (but this is not a great thing, since the HD497 sucks in soundstage). I've found them good also for gaming, very involving, if you don't need isolation. Comfy pads are comfy enough and sound good, but flat pads are better and are also comfier if you bend the headband to make it wider.
I liked so much the Sr-60, that I'm thinking to buy it for the second time, I have the Senns HD650, which are clearly better, but I miss the little-grados...
tongue.gif

Just my two cents.

Bye
Andrea

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #25 of 27
I just recieved my Grados today, and they're ****ing amazing. They're preety comfortable too IMO. I'd reccomend this for sure to anyone.

Edit: Also, any tips on how to burn these in?

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:33 AM Post #26 of 27
I think the difference must lie in that the SR60 is [size=xx-small](mostly) [/size] musical.

Jan 11, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

I just recieved my Grados today, and they're ****ing amazing. They're preety comfortable too IMO. I'd reccomend this for sure to anyone.

Edit: Also, any tips on how to burn these in?

Yes, the Sr-60 are simply unbelievable for their price. Burning in? Music, music, music... play a cd (maybe with much bass) in repeat for some nights, you can put some clothes on the headphone to mute them... But I think that the Sr-60 sounds good also out of the box, so you can simply listen to music and hear the improvements during time (if there are improvements...).

Enjoy your little Grados!

Andrea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back