Sennheiser HD-497 vs. Grado SR60
Dec 30, 2004 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

pookyman

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I would like to know your opinion on these headphones and which is a better value and better qualiity. I listen mostly to rock and rap. If you don't like any of these please reccomend another one. (<$100)

Thanks.

Dec 30, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 27
need the usual info.

source
portability
amped or unamped
open / closed
use (music only, games, tv, movies, etc)

Dec 30, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by infiskik
need the usual info.

source
portability
amped or unamped
open / closed
use (music only, games, tv, movies, etc)

Source: Mostly my iRiver HP-120
Portability: Don't really care
Amped or Unamped: Unamped
Open/Closed: ? Not really sure what that means
Use: My mp3 player and maybe my comp.

Dec 30, 2004 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 27
I've never heard the 497s, but I'll put in a vote for the SR-60s. They sound great without an amp (I used them for years plugged directly into my work computer), and Grados tend to sound more "forward" than Senns, which tends to work better for rock & hip-hop.

As far as I know, they're about equal in quality & overall value, but they present music in different ways.

Dec 30, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 27
The Grados seem to do a better job of bringing out background instruments, but comfort is a concern. People have used aftermarket pads and even socks.

Dec 31, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 27
SR-60S can run off an HP-120 no problem. However, I find them very uncomfortable after 1hr or so and they have a poor soundstage so they wouldn't be my best recommendation for games/pc usage. I'd consider the Beyerdynamic DTX800 or DTX900.

Dec 31, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pookyman
How comfortable are the SR-60's compared to the hd-497's?

I've never found Grados uncomfortable, but they're not exactly comfortable, either. Again, I've never tried the 497s, but I do have HD-580s. Comfort-wise (and sound-wise), if Sennheisers are like sitting in an elegant symphony hall, Grados are like being in the pit at a punk show.

Dec 31, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP
I'd consider the Beyerdynamic DTX800 or DTX900.

Seconded. If they're anything like my DT770's or DT440's the DTX800 or 900 should be nice gaming 'phones. My Koss PortaPros (called "Baby Grados" by some members, due to their similar sound to lower end Grados) are very bad for gaming.

Dec 31, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

The SR60s come with Grado's new earpads. The new pads are a soft, porous, open cell foam that covers the driver much more comfy. The SR60s offer good sound quality, plus are easily driven by the output of a portable player or inexpensive home equipment a nice combination.

got the from epinions.com.

Are those "new" earpads comfortable?

Again, thanks for everyone's input.

Dec 31, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pookyman
Are those "new" earpads comfortable?

They're not terribly new, SR-60s have shipped with them for at least 3 years. The 'phones themselves are lightweight, I find that they're like having little pillows on your ears. Thing is, some people can't stand having anything touch their ears. I think these people make up at least some of the crowd that insists that Grados are uncomfortable.

Dec 31, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #15 of 27
The SR60s will be more comfortable and sound better.

They just put your music to life compared to the shrill, uncomfortable HD497s. The 497s are much more painful to wear than the SR60s, IMO - at least the SR60s are adjustable while still being able to wear them correctly with many different options - with the HD497s, if you don't like the one comfort level and listening position offered by them, too bad - you're stuck.

To conclude, the SR60s are more comfortable, sound better, and IMO are easier to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back