Sennheiser HD 497 vs. Grado SR60 vs. Sony MDR V6
Nov 14, 2002 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

hardrock223

New Head-Fier
Ok these will be run by a cd player and at times by a computer. I will be listening to all types of music ranging from Rap to rock to classical to R&b. The Price range is around these 3 headphones and I will be listening to them at school, cars, home almost everywhere.Which will give me the best sound?Sound is the most important for me comfortability comes in second.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 17
hr223, you're not even trying. you gotta spend some quality time after hitting the 'search' button on the top. somewhere your question has been answered.

don't want to look?

koss porta-pros. $30 after rebate.

Nov 14, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 17
I haven't heard the Senns, so I can only comment on the Sonys and the Grados. For pure musicality, I'd get the Grados. For excellent bass and durability I'd go for the Sonys. And if you want an excellent phone for portability and at a great price, go for the Koss Porta Pros, as wallijonn says. A search will yield a lot of comments on all those 'phones. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn

koss porta-pros. $30 after rebate.

Actually, it's even better than a rebate. No waiting for a check to be sent back to you. The Koss site sells it half-off for $25 with a coupon code, and shipping is $6 to continental US.

Nov 14, 2002 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 17
I've heard all three. I'll second the Grado's purely in terms of sound quality, but given the way you plan to use them the Grados have a BIG disadvantage, namely the excessive sound leakage. If you're using these with other people around, folks are sure to complain eventually. The Sony's would be my top choice for all-around purposes. Though they don't have the gorgeous midrange of the Grado's, they have better bass extension and a clearer overall presentation so I don't think you're really sacrificing sound quality with them. Also they're closed, meaning that other people won't hear them and you'll hear less background noise. They fold up, unlike the Grados, and come with a carrying bag. All in all, a great-sounding, general purpose, schlepping phone.

btw, make sure you get the Sony V6 or the 7506, not the V600, as folks around here say they're not nearly as good (V6 and 7506 are supposedly basically the same).

Nov 15, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 17
I have all 3, and love each of them and use each of them a lot. These are my three day-to-day phones. They're very different from one another. I think the Sennheiser is the middle ground of the three, in terms of opennes, durability, accuracy, and musicality. I wouldn't use any of them for drag-around-everywhere portable use. I've given up on dragging my music outside of the home, though, except on vacation or on occasion at work. IMHO, none of these is clearly better in terms of sound than the other ones. They are each their own little island of sound, exceptionally well executed. For me, the challenging thing is trying to find something with a new sound that's clearly better! You can find the sound of each of these three phones discussed ad nauseum with a search here. For my taste, these are all first class sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 17
The Grados sound very good with or without an amp, and are not as uncomfortable as many people say they are.

Nov 15, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 17
Personally, I'd go with the sony v6s. The grado sr-60s, while good in their own way, are still grados. Ie: they really have a bright sound to them. Also, their openness is their downfall. You'll really be tempted to crank the volume on them to unsafe levels if you take them out on the street. The sony v6s are closed, and insulate enough so that you can hear the music, but don't insulate to unsafe levels.

Hope this helps. . .

Nov 15, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #10 of 17
Yeah, now that you mention it, of the three, the V6s are the most durable, the most closed, and have the most low bass... all good characteristics for portable, drag-it-everywhere use.
biggrin.gif
So that's my pick too.

Edit: And they look the best too (especially if you leave the "for digital" stickers on!), though that's not saying much.
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Personally, I'd go with the sony v6s.

eek.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 17
andrze, hardrock223 wants a set of phones for his personal cd player (pcdp). he chose three. he wants opinions. i said for the money, porta pros can't be beat. and the consensus is the usual - "you'll have to listen to all three and make a decision". since he is going to be listening to these in a car, the consensus is that they should be closed. they all sound great. he can't go wrong with anyone of them.

Nov 15, 2002 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 17
hardrock223, if you're taking these phones anywhere, forget the Grados. As pointed out, they don't isolate outside sounds well at all (not at all in my opinion). I don't know about the Sennheisers, but given they look more like a semi-closed design, it'll be better than Grados, though depending on whether you use the phones in noisy environments, it might be better to go with the Sonys. Also, if you listen to Rap and R&B more than other types of music, then you'll appreciate the extra bass from the V6s.

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #14 of 17
Sorry to burst people's bass bubbles, but freq. response graphs dictate that the SR60s and MDR-V6s should sound slightly similar, since they have similar curves between each other.

graphCompare.php

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #15 of 17
Ok these will be run by a cd player and at times by a computer. I will be listening to all types of music ranging from Rap to rock to classical to R&b. The Price range is around these 3 headphones and I will be listening to them at school, cars, home almost everywhere.Which will give me the best sound?Sound is the most important for me comfortability comes in second.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Would go for the Sony MDR-V6 - sold them once but repurchased. They are the best for your use case. The other headphones are also very good but probably not for what you want to use them for.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back