Sennheiser HD 497 Opinions (and any additional suggestions)
Dec 31, 2004 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

PFKMan23

Headphoneus Supremus
I needed a new pair of headphones and I had it norrow down to the Semmheiser HD 497 and the Sennheiser PX100

Respective Product listing for both

http://headphone.com/layout.php?topi...tID=0020080497

http://headphone.com/layout.php?topi...tID=0020080010

They both seem to be held in fairly high regard relative to their price point. Ultimately I ended up going for the PX 100, becuse of the size difference, I'd like to use them for excersizing (running, weightlifting, etc...) and that was the make it or break it factor for me. However,, I'm still intrigued by the HD497s. Do you guys think that I made the right decision? And how about the HD497? Ironically, I'm still thinking of getting them, as they seem to be an excellent product, for home use and other things that are less active (so to speak). If I were to get a send pair of headphones for that, do you think I should get those (HD 497), or should I expand my budget? I'm thinking of possibly expanding into the $150 (Max being around $200 I suppose). range, if that helps. In my search for a more stationary pair, I've also come across the Sennheiser 580, 590, the Grado SR80 and SR60.

If it helps any, the majority of my music collection, revolves around Pop, classical, some Disney, soft rock and a little alternative. I''ve been mainly looking at Supra Aural type headphones (open or closed doesn't really matter) and I'd like to not have to rely on an amplifier. The main sources would be an Ipod, a CD Player and a minidisc player.

Any comments or additional suggestions would be welcome as well.

Jan 1, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 23
The HD497 are more balanced than the PX100, which are very good but a little "bassy". But the HD497 can be a litte uncomfortable for someone. In the same price range (or near by) there is the Grado Sr-60, which is better for my taste. Grado Sr-80 si even better. You don't know how much I want to live in America to buy Grado headphones at the right price... here in Italy they cost more than twice the price... 140 euro for a Sr-60!!!

The HD580 will be a VERY good choice, if you can spend more. It's simply another class of headphone than the HD497, but... be sure you can drive them properly. If not, go for a Grado, you will be happy.
Avoid the Sennheiser HD590, please...

Andrea

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 23
I have had both PX100 and HD497, and this is my account:
I love the PX100s for what they are (price considered);
I can't stand the hollow HD497.

As a consequence, HD497s have been only useful for gathering cobwebs;
on the contrary, while I'm awaiting that sighed-for HD595, the PX100 is temporarily my sole, respected and trustworthy melody-maker
icon10.gif

Last - if you're lending towards the Grados, then I'd encourage you to deviate slightly, that is, to check out Alessandros.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: But... maybe the HD497 would deserve a second chance
confused.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 23
I only have the HD497s and they are extremely comfortable (though very plasticky), and sound isn't bad for £29.99 headphones ($50). However, i must comment that the cable is very very fragile, especially the connectors for the cans. Sad thing is, an official sennheiser replacement cable costs roughly £20-30 which is the same price as the headphones!

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
Avoid the Sennheiser HD590, please...

It's not THAT bad - it's just that people either like the 580/600/650 or the 590, but rarely both at the same time. The 590 is awfully comfortable, fairly easy to drive and a fine 'phone in its own right. However, the newer 595 seems to appeal to more people and should be yet easier to drive in the current 50 ohm version, so one may want to consider this model, too.

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
I have had both PX100 and HD497, and this is my account:
I love the PX100s for what they are (price considered);
I can't stand the hollow HD497.

As a consequence, HD497s have been only useful for gathering cobwebs;
on the contrary, while I'm awaiting that sighed-for HD595, the PX100 is temporarily my sole, respected and trustworthy melody-maker
icon10.gif

Last - if you're lending towards the Grados, then I'd encourage you to deviate slightly, that is, to check out Alessandros.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: But... maybe the HD497 would deserve a second chance
confused.gif

HD497 "hollow"?!? Well, if it's so... how do you describe the HD590?!?
biggrin.gif

I've found the HD497 very balanced, with the right amount of all freq ranges, but they have a somewhat "discontinuous" mid-high that hide some details especially in voices. The bass is simply astonishing for the price (but the Grado Sr-60 do it better). The PX100 is better than the HD497 in med/mid-highs/high regions, but they have a bass that is 3 dB more than the right amount for a true audiophile listening. Only God knows how the PX100 will sound with a more audiophile-like tuning.

I'm waiting your impression about the HD595, in which I'm very interested, as I have the HD650. If you want a day to make a direct comparison of the two top cans, well you know I live not far...

Bye
Andrea

Jan 1, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 23
Hi Andrea !

By 'hollow' I mean ...like without any colour, or bloom, to the voices mainly, in a way I just couldn't tolerate.
To me, the 'midrange' is basicly where the 'life' of music dwells.

Here it wasn't a matter of freq. response (in fact the graphs on Headroom don't give any hints of this), unlike for the HD590 I guess (I have experienced the HD570, which, they say, is close in balance).

Anyway, truth be told, HD497s have good high & bottom ends, esp. for their price - I agree with you.

Last, I like PX100's punchy-ness -- it feels quite musical, not disturbing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 23
In the time since I started the thread. I've actually looked over other models like the Alessandro MS1, AKG K501 and K271. I looked at the Grados (mainly SR80 and 125) too. My concern with them is that comfort seemed to be an issue with them and I'm one of those people who can have headphones on for several hours a day (5+). Also another element of concern is that I do wear eyeglasses, so I'm wondering if the extended wearing of them is an issue in regards to irritation and such.

I've also expanded into Circumural headphones, and I also see that the HD 580 was mentioned. I'm actually leaning more towards these at this point, as the fact that they seemingly enclose around the ear rather than rest upon them seems to give them an almost default advantage over in regrads to comfort. How would you regard the HD 580s, along with other of the circumural models in that pricepoint?

I've actually took a glimpse into even "higher end" items like the Grado SR225, the HD 600, Beyerdynamic DT 880. My concerns with these models as well as the HD 580s are the ability for it to be powered without an amp, by comparatively weak sources like the Ipod, a CD player and such. I know that with the higher end models, take the HD 600 for instance, an amp is recommended (if not deemed all but essential) to even listedn to them. Is it more of an optimization issue, or is it simple inconceivable to consider these high end models without the use of an Amp? Also another thing is the quality of the factory wires, do aftermarket wries make that much of a difference (of course it's model dependent) and should I look into those as well. Suggestion in this area, if applicable, would be appreciated as well, because I have no diea how to consider them.

Any insight into the concerns that I have would appreciated

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 23
I own px100, hd595 and owned the hd497. I find that the hd497 is by far a better choise than px100. I don't agree with amartignano on the high mid frequencies, as I find the px100 a bit stuffy at that range.

The hd497 sounds astonishingly good for it's price and one way of describing the sound is crystal clear with some minor problems. What Andrea probably means with "hollow", is that the hd497 are very neutral and the sound is somewhat "airy". At high volumes it sounds as if the elements aren't powerful enough and the sound becomes much thinner. The bass, however, is among the best I've heard. With a good amp the "hitting/punching" feel to it is amazing. Also, if my memory serves me correct, without a good amp, the mid/high sounds may seem a little duller but still good.

Px100.. well.. to start off, they sound great for their size with a good amount of volume, but after a while the limitations become apparent. The bass isn't as low reaching as in my porta pro (porta then again can't take high volumes at all), and the additional upper bass doesn't help much inside. Also, as I mentioned, the mid sounds are much stuffier. The sound stage is also much narrower with the px100 than hd497.

I'd go for the hd497 anyday, and the hd595 may be a bit of a leap if you're not really ready to pay for it.

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 23
I'd suggest sticking with the 50$ headphones unless you're ready to invest in an amp too. hd580 will need the amp just as much as the hd600. If I remember correctly, the drive inside is identical, just the casing is different.

As for wires, I wouldn't go changing them since the difference is minimal.

Jan 1, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 23
Cans that are hard to drive, such as the HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT880, will sound very bad without an amp. They need lots of power and a normal output from a portable, a sound card or whatever will not give it to them.

Jan 1, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Hi Andrea !

Last, I like PX100's punchy-ness -- it feels quite musical, not disturbing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, it's very musical. Have you ever tried the Koss PortaPro? Same design (but they were out many years ago, Sennheiser copied it with the PX100
biggrin.gif
), same "punchy" sound signature, but more musical, especially in the voices, but also a little less clear and less "quick" in transient response.

Bye
Andrea

Jan 1, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 23
PFKMan23,
I think that for your requirements the best suggestion would be the HD595 among the higher end Senns (I think the HD580/600 are, while still good, now surpassed by the 595 mostly in a perfected, refined sound signature).

Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
Have you ever tried the Koss PortaPro?

No, and I wish I could have.
I just know from the famed Headroom 'curves' that PortaPro's midbass is noticeably more emphasized than on PX100, which would be a letdown for me if confirmed from listening. But the mids and highs are maybe smoother.
Actually, the only thing that bothers me as to PX100's 'musicality' is a certain hardening of some high-pitched (
cool.gif
) instrument sounds.
Without that, they'd be practically unbeatable in their typology.
While I like how 'quick' they are, that is, their clarity, which makes for the richness of the sound - they trade a bit of immediacy for better accuracy.

Jan 1, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 23
Hmm...at this point, I might just suck it up and get an amp then. bah... for some reason, I'm realy liking the HD 595s. Either that, the Grados or the Alessandro MS1s. At this point, I'd really perfer Circumural over the Aurals, but If I'm going to have to plunge to get an Amp, I might as well suck it up. No sense in half assing it. Any suggestions on a good amp (perferably somethig compact)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back