Sennheiser HD-497 cable...
May 31, 2004 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hifi&mtb

New Head-Fier
Second post!

I've owned these Sennheiser HD-497's for some time but always knew there was room for improvement (one improvement was to buy a better pair of headphones - see http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=74097 !).

Never was happy with the flimsy, too-short cord & reading these forums I always understood there was progress to be made:

137_3763.sized.jpg

I've used Canare cable (seems very good quality for the price) and the change was not subtle.

Bass is stronger & tighter, clarity is improved...very impressed.

The cable upgrade doesn't move these 'phones into the 'excellent' catagory, but it probably provides the best experience you're likely to achieve with this model.

Good for watching TV...now I have the Sony MDR-CD1700's for music...

May 31, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Yea hi-fi, where did you get that cable from and how did you wire the connectors? I'm getting a better pair of headphones soon, but the 497 are so sturdy I'll have them for a long time so I wouldn't mind doing that myself. Where can I get the parts and which parts do I need, do you remember?

May 31, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 7
I don't know what it is about Sennheiser cables, but their replaceable cables throughout their range seem to have an abnormally high level of signal-altering characteristics. And we're not talking voodoo mumbo-jumbo that accompanies 'high-end' cables but actually measurable and audible differences.

Do by all means strive to replace the cable, not necessarily with expensive ones but just decent cables. It's not only recommended, but IMO necessary.

Jun 1, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 7
This was quite an easy task. Everything was bought from www.jaycar.com.au.

1. 2 x 2.5mm subminature mono plugs.
2. Canare L-2T 2S Professional Balanced Microphone Cable (23/0.30 x 2 core + 94% shield coverage)

(a) The 2.5mm subminature mono plugs need to be filed down in order to fit into the recess on the HD-497 'phones. This means the entire plug ends up being approximately 4 mm in diameter (oval-ish cross-section - see recess size).

(b) Strip back enough outer shielding to give you the Y-length you feel appropriate. Seperate the white & blue signal wires.

(c) Cut off & strip back the same length as the Y-length (from the other end of the cable!) so you now have another two white & blue wires (these are the earth connectors).

(d) From the start of the Y-length, expose about 1 inch of shielding. Strip about 1 inch from the two white & blue earth wires & solder these to the 1 inch of shielding (common earth).

(e) Now wind the two white & blue earth wires onto the two two white & blue signal wires. This is easy - they have the same coiling characteristics!

(f) Solder up the 2.5mm subminature mono plugs.

(g) Solder up the other end to an appropriate plug (6.5 mm stereo in this case)...it really doesn't matter which is left & right as this cable can be plugged in either way.

(h) Cover in heatshrink as appropriate.

(i) Go forth & listen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back