Sennheiser HD 457 VS HD 202 VS ?
Apr 22, 2004 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Burns11

100+ Head-Fier
Considering they are about the same price, and assuming I don't necissarily need the benefits of a closed design, Which of the two should I get? Or, do you have another $30 suggestion. I am also looking at something in the full size area (not a portable).

I tried browsing around the forums to find some information, but couldn't really find anything other than seperate reviews and such that didn't point me in either direction. I know this isn't the most thrilling post to answer (and no doubt even more annoying since I'm new), but any help would be appreciated.

Note that this is for work, and $30 is about all I'm comfortable leaving there to be stolen (errr, "lost").

Apr 22, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 6
Avoid the HD202 at all costs, I'm warning you. I haven't heard the 457 yet, but I think that you're muuch better off saving an extra 20 bux and getting the 497's. If you don't mind the appearance, the porta pros sound like a better option, or even the Koss ksc35's. A used Grado SR60 might also be an option. Those phones I just listed are all open though, there really aren't that many great closed headphones under $50. Even good earbuds under $50 like the sony 888 and senn mx400/500's are slightly open.

Apr 22, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 6
oh yeah, welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.
3000smile.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 6
The portapros and SR60s are excellent suggestions.

Or you could take a gamble and try the Sony MDR-CD380s. I've read some positive comments on these and I've seen a frequency response graph that looks pretty promising. I think they run about $35 on the net. They are open phones and are supposed to be quite comfortable. If you try these, please be sure to post your impressions as I am chronically curious about them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burns11
Considering they are about the same price, and assuming I don't necissarily need the benefits of a closed design, Which of the two should I get? Or, do you have another $30 suggestion. I am also looking at something in the full size area (not a portable).

Note that this is for work, and $30 is about all I'm comfortable leaving there to be stolen (errr, "lost").

Apr 27, 2004 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 6
i just bought the 457's ...

they seem to be really smooth sounding.. nothings really too harsh. it has no trouble reproducing the highs and lows. only thing i dont like is that since its open.. you cant really turn it up without having everyone hear it around you.

im thinking of returning it though, its abit too bland for me. (too smooth)

whats a good closed headphones thats not too boomy? and under 70ish that i can buy at the store?

Apr 27, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by miztahsparklez
whats a good closed headphones thats not too boomy? and under 70ish that i can buy at the store?

Sony v6
Beyerdynamic 231

other options that don't exactly fit your criteria (all headphones listed are closed):
Sony Eggo (hard to find in a store and a bit more than 70$)
Sennheiser Px200 (I don't like them too much but a lot of people do)

That's about it for under 70$

If you don't need a closed one necessarily: Koss Ksc35 is the best choice for only 30$. Other options would be Sennheiser Px100 or Grado Sr60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back