Sennheiser HD 438's as gaming headphones?
Dec 24, 2010 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JayXombie

New Head-Fier
Hello, simple question here, just wondering if I could pair up a pair of HD 438's to an astro mix amp, and use them as gaming headphones for my PS3, and have a good quality pair of gaming headsets. (I'd also need a detachable mic I'm guessing?).

A local store recently has them $80 off! The HD 438's are only $40, and this is incredible, because I prefer to buy in store anyways.

Thoughts?

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 6
I have them and I know they are great sounding headphones, but I don't know for gaming headphones. They have good bass and good treble for the explosions and gunfire or foot steps, I just haven't used them for gaming. I use mine for on the go headphones. Oh also very durable. and comfy. They come with a stereo sized jack 6.5mm and a mp3 player one, so I would geuss they would work for a gaming headset. Also a long burn in time like 40-80 hours maybe less I just remember them sounding bad in the beginning (fail spelling) and then sounding better after a week or two. I would totally get them for $40. I got mine for 100 at headphone.com I would still get them as headphones tho unless you have better closed cans.

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
I have them and I know they are great sounding headphones, but I don't know for gaming headphones. They have good bass and good treble for the explosions and gunfire or foot steps, I just haven't used them for gaming. I use mine for on the go headphones. Oh also very durable. and comfy. They come with a stereo sized jack 6.5mm and a mp3 player one, so I would geuss they would work for a gaming headset. Also a long burn in time like 40-80 hours maybe less I just remember them sounding bad in the beginning (fail spelling) and then sounding better after a week or two. I would totally get them for $40. I got mine for 100 at headphone.com I would still get them as headphones tho unless you have better closed cans.

Thank you for the response!

I currently own the Sennheiser HD 228's, but I doubt those would be good for gaming, hahah. Although after being modded and given some burn in, they performed very well.

So I'm very patient with headphones, so a burn in period won't be a problem. (I also mistook the price differently, they're $50, but still ridiculously cheap).

Would these be a good investment for headphones regardless of gaming abilities? I don't own an over the ear style headphone yet, and at this price, I might just get them, considering my first pair of decent heaadphones were my Sennheiser 228's (Which I got at $69.99; $30 off, haha. Me and my deals). 

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #5 of 6
As long as they would actually get the sound to you i dont see why not. I actually tested with some like $10 JVC earbuds and some old $20 on ear Koss headphones as headphones to game on a while ago and the sound was surprisingly great for such cheap headphones. I can only imagine how high-end headphones would sound.

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 6
I would say they are considering I only had skullcandies before and some creative pc gaming headphones to reference. Although I use mine everyday and also used them for exercise lol. Ya I love the sound and would recommend them since after those I went here to see if I made a okay choice. Ya for $50 its worth and if you don't like them after the burn in then you can give them to someone else lol thats what I do. It would also be good to try over the ear style headphones because these are very comfy. I also get some interesting looks via using these at my school lol. Overall for $50 I would say they are fairly even on the sound (no piercing treble but no crazy bass) Although the bass gets better after the burn in. I would buy them lol it would be a good late present for yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back