Sennheiser HD 420 SL
Dec 17, 2001 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

WJK

New Head-Fier
The 420 SLs were my first introduction to 'proper' headphones when my dad purchased them back in the mid-late eighties. They got a fair bit of use and then went pretty much unoticed for a decade or so... *que thunderous drums* UNTIL NOW!!!
tongue.gif

I took them out of their box, put them on, plugged them into the Headmaster, pressed play and quickly took them off again. They were horribly muffled and wooly. I proceeded to take the pad covers off and removed the disintergrated foam discs and placed the flat, hard driver housings on my ears. Things were better but still too muffled (not to mention painful on the ears)
frown.gif

I sat and stared at my Grados, then the Senns, then my Grados again... ah ha!
biggrin.gif
I removed the pads from my 325s and tried to fit them onto the 420s housings. They were too small, so instead I placed the pads on the 420s housings and quickly sandwiched the pads between the headphones and my head.

I hit the play button once again, not expecting much difference but I was pleasantly suprised. The muffled sound had gone and things were much more balanced and lively. The treble seemed a bit hissy, and the overall sound was far less smooth than my 325s, but overall the sound was quite enjoyable. Certainly far far better than stock earbuds. I have to wonder how they would compare to SR-60s. I've never heard them, but this is kinda how I'd imagined they would sound...

I've been doing more listening* whilst writing this, and the treble is now sizzling my ears off
eek.gif
, but otherwise they are quite good. I will try to tame them a little...

Thought, comments and similar experiences welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. I can't find a picture of them, but they are supra-aural, with flat, round driver housings and dull yellow/orange earpads and a wide plastic headband.

*CD used so far 'Supergrass - In It For The Money'

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 8
My first Sennheiser was the original HD 420 (replaced my old AKG K60). I still have them (somewhere in my bag of 30 odd headphones that I use for musos) but the earpads have disintegrated by now.

Regarding the HD 414 earpads linked to - the answer is "maybe" - they are totally different from the 420 and 420SL, but they may *just* work - it's worth a try.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 8
One big topic bump...
tongue.gif

is this what it's all about?
110912.jpg

oh... and since HD414 pads John talks about fit Grado's and the Grado pads where to small for the OP HD420's... I don't think 414 pads work. But you could mail Thomann.de and ask if the 424 pads are bigger?

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the replies!

I linked to the HD 424 pads, not the 414 ones..FYI
smily_headphones1.gif

Those are the HD 420SL's yes. And indeed, by now pads had completely decomposed.. cleaning them was a bitch to say the least.

I found this ebay auction Which cites the dimensions being:

Quote:

The Ear pads are round with outer diameter about 3 1/2 inch (90 mm) and the opening 1 5/8 inch (40 mm).

9cm is a lot..so it might look a bit..floppy :p I'm sure the pads will stretch to allow me to put them over the earpieces..

Sounds like a plan
beerchug.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 8
I was having a hard time finding info on these headphones. I know somebody that's selling the 420 for $30 but the left side isn't working. Do you guys think that it is worth it?

Jul 14, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 8
I just crammed a pair of 414 pads into the cloth covers and while it ain't perfect it does sound fine and the headphones a quite comfortable for a few hours.

I have had difficulties thoroughly cleaning out the crumbly sticky crud that is the old ear pads. Does anyone have a good method for this? 

Jul 14, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
The 420 SLs were my first introduction to 'proper' headphones

P.S. I can't find a picture of them, but they are supra-aural, with flat, round driver housings and dull yellow/orange earpads and a wide plastic headband.

Picture is here - HD 420 SL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back