Sennheiser HD 280
Oct 31, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #16 of 35
confused.gif
So not HD 280 Pro, not Eh 2270, not Hd 555 (too much bass).
So what?????What are good (closed or opened) headphones for rock and metal?

Oct 31, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #17 of 35
The eH2270 is basically a HD270, which Dan from Dan's Data didn't like much at all - fairly bad resonance issues. And like it's been said, HD555s as open cans are no good for noisy environments (besides, they're a good bit too large to be considered portable). I'd rather choose a HD25 or HD25-SP then, or some IEMs (like ER6is). HD212Pros wouldn't be all that bad either (they do have good isolation), except for their phat bass and dorky looks (space age silver *eek*
eek.gif
), or for something more neutral and more suitable for general use, try the eH250.

Oct 31, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
The eH2270 is basically a HD270, which Dan from Dan's Data didn't like much at all - fairly bad resonance issues. And like it's been said, HD555s as open cans are no good for noisy environments (besides, they're a good bit too large to be considered portable). I'd rather choose a HD25 or HD25-SP then, or some IEMs (like ER6is). HD212Pros wouldn't be all that bad either (they do have good isolation), except for their phat bass and dorky looks (space age silver *eek*
eek.gif
), or for something more neutral and more suitable for general use, try the eH250.

If he's worried about too much bass, stay the HECK away from HD 212. Those are budget bassheads. They're also fairly uncomfortable. I took those back after a day. I hate that Sennheiser style.

Oct 31, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #19 of 35
I just need headphones which hasn't too much bass, and strong, clear vocal.
Bass should be strong and deep, but it can't play louder than the vocal. You understand me? Not too strong bass (but also deep and powerful), and strong, clear vocal. And as i read HD 280 Pro were perfectly passing this test.

Oct 31, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #20 of 35
I personally think the HD280 Pros have a good amount of bass, pretty good bass at that, though I haven't listen to many headphones, but I listen to metal, rock, pop, hip-hop, techno, noise, etc and it all sounds good.

I didn't pay full price for mine though...and I actually ended up getting a brand new pair for $36 because Sennheiser is awesome (so is Kramer--thanks dude).

Oct 31, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #22 of 35
Hmm, using them on the bus with their size would be awkward, but I mean it would still work, though they're rather big and little harder to drive.

If you're just using them for a commute I would go for something cheaper, smaller and more portable.

Oct 31, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #23 of 35
1. (depends on a number of factors..source, amp, cables, quality of recording, etc.)
2. To me they are comfortable, however, I haven't had any real experience with a number of cans.
3. For me they are, when I'm not using contacts; glasses have no issues with the phone in terms of discomfort.
4.No the bass isn't too srong, IMO, it depends on amp/source/recording but personally the bass isn't viceral (impact wise). It does go deep though (at times..)
5. Great isolation, probably their best quality
biggrin.gif

6. Depends...source...amp..but I've driven these out of an ipod lineout + pa2v2 and they go pretty loud. (however, from the ipod headphone out they weren't loud at all)
7. Value wise they are a 10/10 (great bang for buck IMO). Performance wise i'd rate them about 3-4/10.

Good luck with your decision.

Oct 31, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #24 of 35
i have to go along with most everyone here. unless you plan on doing some modding to them, the bass doesnt have much impact - but overall it does extend quite well into the lower, sub-bass freqs. personally i struggled with their comfort for awhile. had to do some rather extensive modding to make them tolerable for longer periods (i have a roundish head - that may be the cause). they're not very musical, unless maybe if you're only into techno or drum and bass. isolation is awesome. after all the modding i did to them though, they're quite fun.

mdr-v6 may be slightly better in certain areas, but even those aren't very musical imo - eq-ing would definitely help.

if you don't mind larger cans, ath-a500/700/900 or dt990 may possibly fit the bill (depending on your budget too).

Nov 1, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #25 of 35
I don't think the HD280 is as bad as people claim. It's not worth full retail price, but if you can find it used for around $50-$60, go for it.

The bass is nice and tight, without the overbearing boominess that so many people seem to prefer these days. I suppose you wouldn't call them "musical", which makes sense, considering they're designed for monitoring.

My biggest problem with them was the high clamping force, but that went away after I stretched them out for a few days/nights (used a box about the width of my head).

Oh, they're much better than the V6 I listened to, IMHO.

Basically, they work very well, if you're looking for isolating headphones (and don't want to use IEMs). They are my least favorite cans (of the ones I own), but I still like them enough to keep them around.

Edit: I can't spell
tongue.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #26 of 35
I guess alot of people here think that they are comfortable.
confused.gif

However, I find them to be the most uncomfortable headphones that I ever owned. They are too heavy and they get sweaty fast.

And the design is junk-- the band cracks after just a few months of use.

And the sound is dry and boring. Not musical at all.

They isolate very well, but I really think that they are overhyped headphones. I really, really don't like them.

If you want analytic sounding yet completely unmusical, boring headphones that feel uncomfortable and are too hot then go for it!
tongue.gif

Unless you need studio monitor headphones, I don't think that they are good closed cans for casual use. For their price and considering that they are closed headphones-- hey that's alright. But you can get open headphones in the same price range that IMO are much better.

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #27 of 35
Ok, the HD 280's aren't as bad as everyone says. They don't sound bad at all but the construction leaves something to be desired. My pair are held together with epoxy and duct tape. The screw holes are stripped out so the cups don't stay on. The plastic in the headband is VERY brittle. I've had to fix shorts in them numerous times. I now have thin speaker wire running from one cup to the other. The drivers developed a bit of a crackle as well, but that's my fault for driving them too hard.

HINT: Don't set your multimeter to continuity when testing your soldering joints on a low ohm headphone. The headphone driver, not the multimeter makes the buzz sometimes, and it's LOUD!

The HD 555 is in the same series as the HD 595 and the 595 does NOT have too much bass. I don't know who keeps telling people that the HD 555/595 have too much bass...

My vote is for the HD 555.

Nov 1, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #28 of 35
The 280s are very analytical to my ears. This doesn't necessarily make them non-musical, but they do tend to sound a little flat compared to other phones.

I don't find these phones comfortable in the least. The clamping force is enough to give someone a migraine after a while, and I find them a little heavy. After you've been wearing them for a while the spot where the band touches the top of your head starts to hurt (at least it does for me). In the summer they do tend to get a little sweaty, but that's going to depend on person to person.

I mostly wear contacts, but when I wear glasses the 280s aren't too bad. Sometimes the pleather will tend to push one side of the glasses more than the other when I turn my head so I need to readjust them, but it's really a small thing.

The construction is definitely lacking positive remarks, and that's not without good cause. The strap does indeed tend to crack. Although mine are cracked they still hold together quite well; I haven't resorted to glue, tape, etc.

The bass is really a personal opinion to me. There's no bass that sounds full coming from these phones, but they have extreme extension. You can easily notice really low end notes even if they don't have a lot of impact. Quite a nice feeling IMO. For the basshead, the phones can be EQ'd on the low end to quite an extreme which does make the bass quite full.

Isolation is top-notch. This is especially true if you listen to your music to any medium to high level of volume. But then again, with the sheer amount of clamping force they have on my head they might just be cutting off the blood flow to my ears making the impression that they isolate well.

On a scale from 1-10 I would rate them at a 7. I can enjoy the sound the phones produce after getting a little used to them, and they do EQ quite well. However, they are constructed a little poorly and I do not find them comfortable at all.

Nov 1, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #29 of 35
Could anyone explain me: what the screwk is going on? In this forum everyone says, that HD 280 PRo is ****. OK. But in another forum, they are said to be very good headphones.
How this happens. Why the opinions are so strange?
Of course, that i can listen HD 280 Pro, and hear how do they play.
But i need more options to test. Like: HD 270 Control, HD 265 Linear or HD 570 Symphony.
How can you comment these headphones? Are they musical?Are they better (musically) than HD 280 Pro? And the final question: can you imperf to any Sennheiser's headphones, which play musically?

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodzas
Could anyone explain me: what the screwk is going on? In this forum everyone says, that HD 280 PRo is ****. OK. But in another forum, they are said to be very good headphones.
How this happens. Why the opinions are so strange?
Of course, that i can listen HD 280 Pro, and hear how do they play.
But i need more options to test. Like: HD 270 Control, HD 265 Linear or HD 570 Symphony.
How can you comment these headphones? Are they musical?Are they better (musically) than HD 280 Pro? And the final question: can you imperf to any Sennheiser's headphones, which play musically?

I dont like them and cant recommend them. That is my oppinion, after A/B comparisons with my other headphones, the HD280 is just too flat and lacking dynamics from 45-6000 Hz. Its all relative though, I am comparing it to my other cans which are VERY lively, colored and dynamic in that range.

Don't know what they're smoking in other forum(s) to make them hear the HD280 the way they do... but I for one can't recommend it over other cans in its price range.

You know what.... just forget all the www talk and go to guitar center or Sam Ash and demo a pair for yourself. Compare them to an MDRV6 and K240s if at all possible. Get out and demo some Grados too while you're at it. Listen objectively and let your ears guide you.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back