sennheiser hd 280 pro
Mar 23, 2006 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

luke16

New Head-Fier
would shenn 280pros be good for someone who didnt need them for portable use? they are in my price range and the style i want. are thert any defects that i should be aware of like the head band snapping? i would also like alternates if someone knows of any in this price range. thanks

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 10
I think these are better for non-portable use, since they are somewhat large. I think they're great sealed headphones. Some people do experience cracks developing in the headband after a year...maybe the Sennheiser warranty will help with that.

As for alternatives: there's nothing else in the price range which isolates as well as the HD280. The HD 25-SP and AKG K81DJ are more portable, somewhat more comfortable, but a bit less isolating.

The Audio Technica A500 generally sounds a lot better, has much better comfort, but also has very little isolation, and is much too large for any kind of portable use.

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 10
I was looking for a closed 'phone in the 100 dollar range. Decided against the A500 because I'd have to order it, went out and demo'd the HD280 Pro and the K240 Studio. After hearing the 280pro I just took it off and crossed it off the list. Not enough bass for me, it's got a very cold sound. You'll probably be much happier with the A500 or the K240 Studio, which I love.

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 10
The 280 is a little prone to cracking along the headband - it also takes a lot of abuse from non-senn fans because it does what Senn does best, it reproduces clearly what some would call analytically. There are, however, quite a few devoted users who even use it primarily at home. No they are not made of wood and not they do not sound like an instrument making music themselves. Call them cool or analytic, but it articulates very well - let you music convey the emotion not the can
smily_headphones1.gif

Open cans tend to sound better than closed ones but if you need closed ones, particularly without an amp, the 280 are incredible - but they have that distinct sound that people either love or hate so try and listen to a pair - if you like it it's an amazing bargain.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 10
I find the 280 is a very good sounding headphone, especially for the money, and especially for one with such good isolation. The chief downside is that it grips like a manacle. They are a bit big for street use, but they're not quite in "air traffic controller" territory.
280smile.gif
Last time I was in NYC, I saw a guy using a set of them with his iPod Nano(!)

One thing I am sure of, they require an extended burn-in time, at least 100, if not 200 hours. If they sounded cold to you, it could be the pair you auditioned hadn't been burned-in enough (or at all).

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckledragger

One thing I am sure of, they require an extended burn-in time, at least 100, if not 200 hours. If they sounded cold to you, it could be the pair you auditioned hadn't been burned-in enough (or at all).

Yep I can second that. When I first got them, they were quite bright, bordering on harsh actually. The bass wasn't extended quite as well too. And the headband cracking is a big problem. Mine developed cracks within the first couple of months but because of that, the manacle like grip loosened up a bit without significant deterioration in the isolation. So, I never sent them back.
icon10.gif
Besides they work very well without an amp. I loved them is all I can say.

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20
I compared the HD 280 and HD 595 recently. The HD 595 beat the HD 280 hands down, so maybe its little brother the HD 555 would be a good alternative.

That's the kind of thing I was referring to. The 280 is a closed phone - the 595 is an open phone that costs a good percentage more.

It's also a preference thing - the 595 is a differenct sound from the 280 (it's a very agressive, grado-ish phone). Personally I love the 580/600/650 for open phones but they do need amps. I really like the 280 and really dislike the 595 and the 590 and their smaller brothers. I thought that the 555 was really unpleasent - a huge midbass bump like a care stereo.

It's also kind of funny - the 280 gets dumped on even by senn users in the way that senn is not often dumped on by non senn users (meaning that grado users often see a preference towards senn as a matter of taste whereas the 280 isn't merely a different taste but "an inferior phone.")

All of the above - IMHO of course.

Back to the choice about the 280 - this is all simply to say, it's worth figuring out what you want (closed versus open) what sound you like ("analytic" versus "agressive") and then look within the price brackets for good deals. If you want a closed phone at and are looking under $100 and prefer the sort of sound it offers the 280 is a fantastic deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back