Sennheiser HD 280 Blu Tack mod wanted
Apr 30, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 4
Thank you for the prompt response Tyson. Your comments on the 271 makes me wonder if I shouldn't have gone for it. However, in my initial listening to the HD280 I like it. If the brightness is tamed a bit it would be nicer.

Evidently, one can substitute the Beyer 250 pads for the Senn pleather. Do you know if this is an easy switch?

May 7, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 4
Philips HP170 bass improved with poster putty

I thought I would try it with the Philips HP170. This is a cheap $20 closed phone from Target.

To open up these phones the pads themselves are not removed. The casing to which they are attached is removed by undoing three screws under the pads, You just lift up the inside of the pad and they can be readily assessed.

Be sure you note the direction the pads have been placed on the plastic cover. That is, one side is higher than the other and it faces in the volume control direction. It would be good to mark the cover and the pad just to make reassembly straighforward.

There lots of room inside the casing to apply the suggested 1 mm of blue tack or any similar substance like "poster putty" from Walmart. It takes a bit of time (20 mins or so) because you have to work around plastic projections. After finishing this I picked up loose cotton batting I had around the house and covered the putty - maybe the equivalent of a standard cotton medical ball for both cups.

I reassembled the phone with screws before actually listening to the results. But I would suggest putting the pieces back together for preliminary listening tests using some tape to hold the chamber pieces together. Listen to the results and see if further modification is necessary. When satisfied put the screws back in.

The sound - the most notable change is the deepening and strengthening of the bass. It's clear, tuneful, and tight. The unmodded HD280 I have is anemic in bass compared to the modded HP170. The bass IMHO nearly rivals the bass of my HD580s. It's not bass heavy but very balanced. Midrange and highs are clear maybe a bit bright but not overly so. I hear a lot of detail. I'm feeding my DVD/CD player to an ART DI/O to a x-can v2.

When I get some time I'll do the HD280. I might even try the putty with my Koss plugs. Maybe it'll do something for the muddy bass.

For less than $25 you have a comfortable closed phone with good bass that I don't think can be matched by any other closed phone under $100. The HD280 is a bit more comfortable because of better pad design/shape. As for isolation the HD280 offers more. The HP170 is only fair in isolation.

I'm heading to Target this weekend to pick up another HP170 or two. They're definitely a best buy modded.

Mail4u

Users who are viewing this thread

Back