Sennheiser HD-280 best choice for closed cans for iPod?
Dec 7, 2007 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Fangor

New Head-Fier
I've decided I want to buy a good pair of closed headphones because I mostly use my iPod at home anyway, and because I don't want other people to hear my music. Budget is around $100. They will mostly be used unamped from my iPod Touch. Are the Senn 280's good for what I want? Amazon has them for $80 right now and they will ship where I live. There are no stores anywhere where I live that sell "good" headphones, so I have to order online and can't really return them if I don't like them. Also, do they have a 1/8 inch headphone plug that MP3 players use? I don't want to use an adaptor.

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fangor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, do they have a 1/8 inch headphone plug that MP3 players use? I don't want to use an adaptor.

The have a quarter inch trs plug w/a 1/8 inch screw on adapter.

I found them to be fairly uncomfortable myself. They'll squeeze your head like a vise. I can't imagine a better can for isolation.

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 29
I have a fairly small head(I never have to fully extend headphones), so it shouldn't be too bad, and I want good isolation. Is the sound good for the price, and will an unamped iPod drive them?

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 29
You can consider the ATH-M50 ... HD280 has better isolation but the M50 is much more comfortable.

Dec 7, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 29
I didn't like the HD280 sound amped or unamped, but I can't think of any other closed cans at that price range except the RP21, which I have *not* heard. If forced to make a recommendation though, I would point people to the RP21.
By the way, the HD280 has a 1/8" plug with a 1/4" adapter, and not the other way around.

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 29
The HD280 is a headphone that elicits completely different reactions from people. I owned them and really disliked them, but I know several people that really enjoyed them. The only way to tell for sure is to demo them. If you can't do this, then I'd suggest going for a 'safer' option.

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #8 of 29
I really liked them, and in fact prefer them for some songs over my 595s. They are uncomfortable though, and as a friend put it, they feel like you're strapping a pair of bricks to your head.

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 29
I've been having the same problem finding a " Decent" pair of closed or simi-closed budget cans. My buddy has the HD280 and I wasn't very fond of them. They clamp down rather hard and sound kinda just BLAH!!! Better out there for the same $$$. I recommend buying the HD202, Basic same sound, a little better comfort, best part amazon has them for $23.00 and change. The 202s are better then the 201s. Then you can use them while saving up for a higher end can. Thats my plan
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokenganjaclan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been having the same problem finding a " Decent" pair of closed or simi-closed budget cans. My buddy has the HD280 and I wasn't very fond of them. They clamp down rather hard and sound kinda just BLAH!!! Better out there for the same $$$. I recommend buying the HD202, Basic same sound, a little better comfort, best part amazon has them for $23.00 and change. The 202s are better then the 201s. Then you can use them while saving up for a higher end can. Thats my plan
smily_headphones1.gif

Even though I didn't like the 280s, I liked them a LOT more than the 202s. Just a warning.

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #13 of 29
Second the ATH-M50. Definitely not as weird-sounding as the HD280, quite musical (especially when amped, but it's fine unamped) and looks a whole lot better (not as plasticky as the 280). And they're very comfy
biggrin.gif
They don't isolate as well as the 280 though...

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 29
I did like the way the HD280's could fold up & cups twist to flatten out the cans.

Re Sound: I only listened to them through a SOHA amp.

If you searched these threads you'd see how the plastic on the headband would crack up after awhile. I wonder if it's from people trying to stretch out the head bands for addl. comfort. Mine are still in excellent condition, fwiw.

I'm just pointing out possible negatives, for the money, I had no problems w/these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back